Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

DRB

One Too Many
One more thing, I noticed that you chose the teardrop version. Would the teardrop be a better candidate for lowering than the center dent that I chose?

fmw

One Too Many
The hat in the photo looks perfect to me, DRB. I wouldn't have changed a thing. I like low crowns too and this one seems about right to me. I sure do like Lefty's teardrops. Naturally, I would expect them to have a lower crown and they also look great the way they are in the images. I think it's just a matter of preference. It looks to me like you can't really go wrong.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
One more thing, I noticed that you chose the teardrop version. Would the teardrop be a better candidate for lowering than the center dent that I chose?

I think a teardrop crease will allow the crown of the hat--any hat, really--to be lowered while keeping a harmonious aestetic. If you use a center dent, in my opinion, to lower the crown too much you run the risk of making it look unpleasant.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
DRB -- well, since you're asking... I'm not sure I would lower that one at all. In terms of overall look, you want to have enough crown to accommodate that ribbon and have it all look in proportion. Plus -- the crown just doesn't look all that tall to begin with. Do you know the specs on that one, in terms of crown height?

Cheers,
JtL

DRB

One Too Many
Aureliano & Jimmy: I have been thinking about the height. I am going to call them once they open today and speak with Tiffany or Graham. I neglected to ask yesterday how many inches the crown was, so I will find out today. Having ordered from them a few times they know I like a low crown. If the front of the crown is under 5 inches as pictured, then I will make no change.

Today is a new day, I have changed my mind and will be asking Tiffany to change the order to a Teardrop instead of center dent, but use the ribbon color and style of the pictured center dent hat.

I am trying to search for pictures of people wearing mylan straws. That should help me put the hat into perspective a little more. I'll keep searching. Thanks for your help guys. Good advice.

DRB

One Too Many
I called Tiffany, she has my size in stock now in the teardrop. She is going to switch ribbons and send it out. cool!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to be late. The two milans are different. I don't know if the color difference is due to patina or the use of a different batch of straw, as I believe the green ribboned hat to be at least a few years older than the blue. As you can see, the older hat is made or larger, less fine braids. The older one has a 2.75 brim, while the newer is 2.5. I don't have crown heights at the moment, but the older is a little higher. Both are pretty low compared to what I like in felt.

I didn't customize the newer hat when I bought it, other than to have the ribbon changed. On a trip to a wedding, I stopped at Optimo, tried it on, and had to have it. The crown is just what was in the hat, and I can't speak as changing the dimensions.

No noggin pics of the green one yet.
DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Lefty, Thank you! I was hoping you would come up with some pictures. Now I can see what a 2.5" brim looks like. So,how has your milan been? Has it held it's shape?

Can they be reblocked at a later date to a different shape, or will that crack the straw?

Even though I live in Vermont, I was born and raised as a Buckeye.... Thanks for your help!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
As I've posted many times, my milan is my favorite hat. It floats on my head, allowing all sorts of airflow. There has been no problem with shape-shifting but, as with better panamas, I wouldn't wear it in the rain. Also like panamas, the brim will flip up in a breeze. It won't be as floppy, as it's got more heft to it, but you'll be snapping the brim down repeatedly on windy days. Unlike panamas, the humidity won't warp the brim. Too much rain - I'm talking downpour here - might darken the straw. My beater milan (an old Lee from an estate sale) has a darker crown because I've worn it to play basketball in a rain storm. A little drizzle shouldn't cause you any problems.

According to Graham (when I bought mine), they can and should be reblocked every now and then, though I don't see a need for it unless you've been out in the rain for quite a while and lost the block entirely.

I have no cracks in mine, but the milan is certainly more delicate than a panama. Unlike the woven panama, the milan is a series of braids that are sewn together. I don't know if it's the braid itself that is more delicate, or the seams between the braids that are more apt to tear, but it's certainly not a rugged hat. My beater is for just that purpose, as would be any plastic coated hat or cheap panama.

more pics
DSC_0236.jpg

why it's good to have a beater
DSC_0319.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I neglected to ask yesterday how many inches the crown was, so I will find out today. Having ordered from them a few times they know I like a low crown. If the front of the crown is under 5 inches as pictured, then I will make no change.

Today is a new day, I have changed my mind and will be asking Tiffany to change the order to a Teardrop instead of center dent, but use the ribbon color and style of the pictured center dent hat.

I am trying to search for pictures of people wearing mylan straws. That should help me put the hat into perspective a little more. I'll keep searching. Thanks for your help guys. Good advice.

Wow, sorry I missed this discussion somehow, Dennis. Congratulations on your Optimo Milan order. You will be absolutely thrilled with it, of that I am certain. The Optimo Milans are truly magnificent.

When I get home tonight I will take mine out and measure and photograph it, but I am positive the crown does not exceed 5", coming in at around 4-1/2" if memory serves. My hat is Graham's Sercies C teardrop, and I think this will be perfect for you without any further dimensional alterations. The brim, as I recall, is 2-1/2", which I also think is just right for a Milan.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
First time in this context:

not mine.

She's my niece. While I like them when they've got that happy face and non-sticky hands, as soon as there are tears, messes, or smells, I like to be able to hand them back to the owner.

While I like them when they've got that happy face and non-sticky hands, as soon as there are tears, messes, or smells, I like to be able to hand them back to the owner.

Ah yes, there is that side too. That's why they invented ebay.

Sorry... we now take you back to Chicago.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The difference in color of the natural colored nilan is proballya few different factors. One is that since it is not dyed in anmy way the straw fibers used to make the hat are always going to have a slight varitation. The second is that older straws might end up getting lighter in color the more you wear them because they have been out in the sun more.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Optimo Milan, Series C

Took my Milan out of its box tonight to take measurements and photos for Dennis.

Crown: 4-1/2" at the front, rising to 4-3/4" at the sides.
Ribbon: 1-1/2".
Brim: 2-1/2".
Sweatband: 1-1/2".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou