Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

rlk

I'll Lock Up
You have to pay, but you are absolutely getting a perceptible(not to all I suppose...) improvement in product quality.

A small sample:
5561610361_14e25da94a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Spent some time at Optimo this afternoon. While there a man picked up an Optimo 1000 Porcelain in a style similar to a typical .....40 Hat. The vintage hats do not match the felt quality and general detail of craftsmanship of this hat. You have to pay, but you are absolutely getting a perceptible(not to all I suppose...) improvement in product quality.

A small sample:

That is a very nice finish but how do make such a claim about vintage felt quality? Also nice detail work but I have seen better on some of my vintage hats.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I'm withdrawing the comment as there are just too many qualifiers and it will be overly generalized and misinterpreted.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I'm withdrawing the comment as there are just too many qualifiers and it will be overly generalized and misinterpreted.

Having seen custom hatters at work as well as seeing the time constraints that the workers in high production factories (ex: hatco) are under it isn't much of a stretch to accept as fact that custom hatters are able to put out a product with superior finishing.

fmw

One Too Many

You are correct there. This forum doesn't like to hear anything bad about "vintage" hats or felt.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You are correct there. This forum doesn't like to hear anything bad about "vintage" hats or felt.

Not at all. Speaking for myself, I just give no credence to such an opinion where the person giving it has little or no experience. When the guy with a vintage 3x says he can't tell the difference between it and his new Stratoliner, that's fine; but I also know that he has one or two vintage hats that he knows almost nothing about, and that he's probably handled fewer than ten vintage hats.

By contrast, when rlk, who almost certainly owns more vintage hats than I've ever even handled, says that Optimo's felt and work compares positively to the $40 level of vintage hats, that's also fine, and I tend to give greater weight to his words.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Positive ribbon observations

5561610361_14e25da94a.jpg
5562909750_f05090fa48.jpg
5562331909_aa1c9734c8.jpg

Both ribbons below the Optimo are Pre-WW2. The light one is a Borsalino which was the inspiration for the Optimo, the lowest is a Hückel.

The Optimo is a full-loop bow which is formed from the actual ribbon that wraps around the crown. The stitches are truly invisible. Note subtly visible stitches on both vintage hats and the ends of the loops that are simply a brief portion folded under. It is rare to find any vintage factory or modern examples with those features.

I'm not saying this is necessarily unique to Optimo, it is an example of what small scale, high price point and a concern for quality brings you.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
By contrast, when rlk, who almost certainly owns more vintage hats than I've ever even handled, says that Optimo's felt and work compares positively to the $40 level of vintage hats, that's also fine, and I tend to give greater weight to his words.

+2

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I'm not going to disparage any of the other Custom Hatters here. I can say that Graham is honestly trying to continue to improve the quality and variety of the hats he offers and to make the best product he can. Sure he wants to make money at it, but its not simply a matter of "Branding".

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Agree, again. When I met Graham, several year ago when he was redoing his shop, he gave me a walk through and explained how things were done back in the day and how he was adding certain steps to improve those techniques. I have to say that this guy is one of the most passionate people known to me. I know artists--as some of you know I'm a painter--and passion among some of the folks in my field is now a cliche word. Not with Graham. You can tell the amount of knowledge he has and his eagerness to learn more. He loves this stuff. Back then I was dating my wife and had no extra income to afford one of his hats. I promised him, while he gave me a ride to the train station (talk about customer service to someone who didn't purchase!) that someday I'll own one of his hats. I do now and every cent I paid him is worth it.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
RLK, the Optimo 1000 in Porcelain you mentioned...isn't that the same color as the one DRB got? Wow, I imagine that the hat you saw must've looked fantastic!

Yes, same felt, but a completely different style--wide brim and ribbon and full crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn