Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Both ribbons below the Optimo are Pre-WW2. The light one is a Borsalino which was the inspiration for the Optimo, the lowest is a Hückel.

The Optimo is a full-loop bow which is formed from the actual ribbon that wraps around the crown. The stitches are truly invisible. Note subtly visible stitches on both vintage hats and the ends of the loops that are simply a brief portion folded under. It is rare to find any vintage factory or modern examples with those features.

I'm not saying this is necessarily unique to Optimo, it is an example of what small scale, high price point and a concern for quality brings you.

That is a unique difference but I could point to other unique details or workmanship where Optimo might not match up.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Optimo Milan:
March252011OptimoMilan7.jpg

Nice to see a hat posted in the Optimo thread and I just love the Milan. Beautiful hat!

Having seen custom hatters at work as well as seeing the time constraints that the workers in high production factories (ex: hatco) are under it isn't much of a stretch to accept as fact that custom hatters are able to put out a product with superior finishing.

Take the 1930s JHS Superior Crystall Velour in my avatar. It was made in a factory but the velour process took over one month. It required specialized equipment and know how that would be beyond the scope of a custom hatter of the day.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'd like to apologize to Optimo Hatters, they're not the most expensive hats I've found. I searched on Custom Cowboy hat and found a place in a tourist town that is charging $725 for a 75% beaver 25% bunny cowboy hat. The 100% beaver ones are $1125. I only hope that Art, Major Moore, Gary White, and Optimo don't see this as "a great idea". $1125 is almost two Optimo's. JEEZE.

Crawling back into my cubicle.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
But I have heard many a horror story about him.

I may have contributed to that, but truth be told-- I really like my Baron Hat! (the dark moss bowler I posted on St. Patty's Day. Great felt and finish, and good fit, decent price. Communication was difficult and it took a few tries for the right color and stiffness, but all in all I really can't speak ill, and I wear the thing a ton.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I may have contributed to that, but truth be told-- I really like my Baron Hat! (the dark moss bowler I posted on St. Patty's Day. Great felt and finish, and good fit, decent price. Communication was difficult and it took a few tries for the right color and stiffness, but all in all I really can't speak ill, and I wear the thing a ton.

Can I be a party pooper here and suggest we go back to the topic of the thread? Don't hate me, it's just that we've (I'm including myself) taken it way too far from subject. Haven't seen a single hat here in a while, save for Dennis' milan.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Can I be a party pooper here and suggest we go back to the topic of the thread? Don't hate me, it's just that we've (I'm including myself) taken it way too far from subject. Haven't seen a single hat here in a while, save for Dennis' milan.

just had to get that Baron business off my chest, but now...
yay, Optimo Hats!:eusa_clap
hip hip...

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Back to hats
I don't think I've posted this one here before.
dark dark brown semi longhair. This is the Mitchum block. It's from eBay so I don't have all the particulars on the felt.

OptimoBrownlonghairMitchumprofile7.jpg

OptimoBrownlonghairMitchumprofilebrimupgoodfeltdetail6.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Back to hats

Excellent, hats are needed here! I'm not really a fan of the satin/longhair finish, but you have some fantastic ones.

That's a unique looking hat, you are right about the colour being dark, dark - looks very close to black.

BobC

Nice hat, Lloyd. My next Optimo felt will be a Mitchum block, but these milans lately have me thinking of a summer hat before long.

BobC

I just got off the phone with Mr. Thompson at Optimo. I ordered an anniversary present with my wife's permission, a milan. Graham said he has a new fuller crown shape that isn't on his website yet. He was going to take a picture of a monticristi with the new shape and e-mail it to me. I was going to get his teardrop, but in the conversation I mentioned that I like a fuller crown. He suggested I might like the new shape better than the teardrop. We'll see. When I get the picture from him, I'll post it here so you all can see it too.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations on your Optimo Milan order, Bob! Whichever crown you decide to go with I believe you will be delighted with the hat. They can be very addictive, those Milans...

BobC

Thanks, delectans. I have two or three milans, or at least what are called milans, but I have held in my hands one of Optimo's and there is a fantastic difference between those real milans and the one's I have. I'm very much looking forward to having this one for the summer. The fact that I have my wife's blessings makes it even sweeter. :D

As an interesting side note, this is the first time I have spoken with Mr. Thompson directly. I've spoken with Tiffani many times, but she was out of the store today.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters