Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Neil

A-List Customer
Afraid it's a 7 5/8
I'm also going to sell a brown sort-of-Indy by Optimo, a high-crown moss green "Mitchum" and a pale-blue-grey classic fedora.

Neil

A-List Customer
I'm going to let the market decide what the right price is. Who am I to say? I start the bidding low, and leave it at that.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I'm going to let the market decide what the right price is. Who am I to say? I start the bidding low, and leave it at that.

I agree that's the best way to sell such desirable hats. Please consider, though, announcing the auctions in the Classifieds section here. Would be helpful to you and to potential buyers here (myself included).

Anj

Neil

A-List Customer
Tha pale blue-grey classic fedora is on Ebya now. Size 7 5/8. Listing lasts 12 more hours.
Will notify on the others.

Neil

A-List Customer
The blue-gray hat just sold. The Dillinger is up on Ebay now. Size 7 5/8. May the market be kind to me.

Neil

A-List Customer
Well. . . .

The Dillinger model ultimately sold, at least in my view, for exactly the right price.
Next up will be a moss green "Mitchum," high crown, regular brim (2 3/4 inch) with an apple-green ribbon. Lightweight, very soft felt. Same pristine condition. Again, 7 5/8.
I have found much more success with EBay than with the Lounge's classifieds.

-neil

My God that is a gorgeous hat. I could swim laps inside it, but good luck everyone else!

Neil

A-List Customer
When did Graham raise his prices?

I see from the new website that Milans are up $100 and felts up $45. In the case of felts, that's nine per cent in an economy with zero inflation, and with the milans, that's 33 per cent. I'm going to go ahead and conclude I can no longer afford an Optimo.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I see from the new website that Milans are up $100 and felts up $45. In the case of felts, that's nine per cent in an economy with zero inflation, and with the milans, that's 33 per cent. I'm going to go ahead and conclude I can no longer afford an Optimo.

The $595 price came with the new website.

Neil

A-List Customer
I've been to Optimo three times and bought hats each time; two felts and a Montecristi. Bit of a treat, even though the prices are so much higher than anyone else's. But six hundred bucks (okay, $595) is just too much. He is charging what the market will bear, and good for him. I applaud a small businessman who can brand himself that brilliantly. And the store staff are a pleasure. I just can't feature that kind of dough, is all. I am an ex-Optimo customer.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
The way I see it is that maybe the price of importing his felt from Portugal and the Milan from China have went up forcing him to rise prices... but who knows. I'm not buying hats but sort of as a joke I asked my wife for an Optimo Milan for our upcoming wedding anniversary. Not getting my hopes up though :(

DJH

I'll Lock Up
But six hundred bucks (okay, $595) is just too much. He is charging what the market will bear, and good for him. I applaud a small businessman who can brand himself that brilliantly.

Indeed, the price of Optimo hats seems to be higher than just about every other hatmaker. You are right though Neil, the marketing is brilliant and the Optimo Guy has done a great job of branding his business as the maker of the best hats.

Personally I wouldn't be an Optimo client (I'd get a used Optimo hat if I should come across a nice example in my size though) when I know I can get great custom hats from people such as TonyB or Art for a much lower price.

Hey Aureliano; out of the blue, my lovely wife told me she wanted to get me a new hat for Father's Day (getting a VS) so there is always hope!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
To me is setting a budget for Hats. My goal for the rest of the year is a VS hat. Optimo set's itself up as a high end hatter and that is fine.
I am not a high end hat wearer. I wear a lot of hats with two special Mallory's now hoping for the new Campdraft and VS. This year is done on the hat buying. Unless I get a phone call from a local dealer with something in my size.:)

Neil

A-List Customer
Prices

I have long wondered whether there is any qualitative difference between an Optimo and a VS hat, or a hat from this new Black Sheep fellow, or Penman. Graham does have the great variety, and heaven knows his hats keep their value (I just sold two, and the fellow who uses the EBay name bimmerzimmer has sold several, none of which went for less than $350), but apart from the branding, is there an authoritative verdict on quality? Is Optimo unquestioned as the best, or is it just an assertion? As for straws, I actually once spent exactly the same amount for an Optimo Montecristi and a PB Montecristi. . . $650. Graham actually blocked the PB, and even he marvelled at how light and fine it was. The Optimo one, while a lovely, even hat, was considerably coarser and heavier.
Maybe all this talk about price is unseemly, but I think we gotta right to the conversation, given what many of us have shelled out.

fmw

One Too Many
I would imagine the market for $600 hats is fairly small. How small I don't know. What I do know is that, if that price doesn't keep him busy, then it will come down. Luckily we live in a free market economy where people can price things as they wish and people can buy or not buy what they wish from whomever. If he can stay busy with his prices, then he has done the right thing. If not, he will have to reverse it. That's how business works.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hey Aureliano; out of the blue, my lovely wife told me she wanted to get me a new hat for Father's Day (getting a VS) so there is always hope!

I'm hoping, DJH! you got me hoping now!

I have long wondered whether there is any qualitative difference between an Optimo and a VS hat, or a hat from this new Black Sheep fellow, or Penman. Graham does have the great variety, and heaven knows his hats keep their value (I just sold two, and the fellow who uses the EBay name bimmerzimmer has sold several, none of which went for less than $350), but apart from the branding, is there an authoritative verdict on quality? Is Optimo unquestioned as the best, or is it just an assertion? As for straws, I actually once spent exactly the same amount for an Optimo Montecristi and a PB Montecristi. . . $650. Graham actually blocked the PB, and even he marvelled at how light and fine it was. The Optimo one, while a lovely, even hat, was considerably coarser and heavier.
Maybe all this talk about price is unseemly, but I think we gotta right to the conversation, given what many of us have shelled out.

We totally have the right to talk about this, we're consumers and a healthy argument is always interesting and informative. I own one Optimo, two VS and one custom W&W. I love them all and they all look amazing. Now being completely objective, the hat that has the best finish, the best construction and overall feel is hands down my Optimo. There is something so luxurious about Graham's felt and--again--finishing that, in my humble opinion, is unmatched. Or yet to be matched.

Tatude

New in Town
Just ordered the Dillenger and will report back when it arrives. While the hat was expensive it was what I wanted so paid the price. I have 5 Dobbs and 1 Borso that I'm happy with and will compare the quality. This is my first custom hat and the folks at Optimo were great to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy