Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original painted A2

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for the bump, Tomasso. I'd missed this thread. An amazing jacket.

I'd have to agree with Aswatland; Don't let it go to this fellow even if it is genuinely a family member. It has become something that is part of the collective history of a generation, rather than a family memento.

Fiver64

Practically Family
both sides

I can see both sides to this question of giving it back. IF GENUINE, it might just be that this is the first time any opportunity has presented itself for the family of Stalker to recover any tie to him, in which case, flat out refusing to let them acquire it (at fair price) would seem rather cold, and appears to fly in the face of the "honoring" the vets responsibility of collecting. Perhaps even some deal could be struck where the family AND the collector could donate the jacket to a mutually agreed-on museum.

I am eager to hear how this plays out, and I agree that one needs to be wary.

Peacoat

Bartender
I remember reading this thread with great interest when it was active, but kinda forgot about over the months. For the reasons stated above, and a few others, I hope the jacket is still on the other side of the Atlantic (the English side). I have sent Bob a PM telling him the thread has been revived and there is still interest in it. Maybe he will give us an update.

sixties.nut

Well Said Peacoat

I hope the jacket is still on the other side of the Atlantic (the English side).

Well said Peacoat, well said, this jacket would have to have more sentimental value to Mr. Dick than it could ever be possible for Mr. Stalker.

The materialistic value of the garment is priceless to Mr. Dick with knowing the provenance. So are the personal memories Mr. Stalker has of his late brother. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. The person who relayed the jacket to Mr. Dick, was evidently someone close to Mr. Dick as well!

Relenquishing the jacket would also no doubt yield a circumstance where Mr. Dick would have the chance to purchase the jacket on the auction site in not so distant a future. Whether the gentleman is a true relative or not.

One thing for sure is that it's been well cared for up to now as the photo's attest. Yeah, Um Hm.

Sixties

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have had artifacts of my grandfather returned to me from a stranger who found me and thought that I should "have it back in the family". I was very grateful to that individual. Having said that I agree that there are some shady characters out there and the A-2 is like the Holy Grail to some.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Phantomfixer said:
I have had artifacts of my grandfather returned to me from a stranger who found me and thought that I should "have it back in the family".
Sorry, I had to.:eek:

[YOUTUBE]IpvtOXHuQTY[/YOUTUBE]

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay but I have been away and very busy of late (not on the jacket front sadly).

I still have the jacket and will not part with it at the moment. I did ask the chap who claims to be related to send me some more info on his brother but heard nothing back. I thought this strange as I had more info than he did!

I have considered loaning the jacket to Thurleigh Airfield museum but want to go and discuss it with them face to face. When I spoke to the guy who runs it, I think he was looking at a donation rather than a loan.

As I have said earlier, for me the history and provenance of these jackets is what excites me most. I feel they are a tangible link with the past and my good friend who it came from only parted with it as he knew it was going to a good home – almost keeping it in the family so to speak. We often see jackets that are constantly in the hands of dealers and the genuine collector/historian often loses out.

I would hope that the guy who claims to be Robert Stalker’s brother is genuine, but I have my real doubts. Someone else showed an interest in buying this jacket and I made it clear it was not for sale but they became quite persistent – I am not suggesting the two enquiries are linked but I know this is a small world.

Fiver64

Practically Family
proof.........

Thanks for the update!

Sounds rather fishy. I'm thinking that at this point, the alleged-brother had enough time to present reasonable proof of kinship. He's SOL. Sad that there are dirt-bags out there willing to try anything for a jacket.

The museum sounds like a nice alternative, but having dealt with a few in the past, my experience is that they want donations rather than loans, simply because they hate having popular exhibits or items eventually recalled by the owner.

In donating, one also has to careful because (what they won't tell you) museums frequently engage in trading for other things they want, and your donation might still end up in some collector's closet via a back-door deal!

vonmerkin

New in Town
Wow thats such cool a-2 its really weird as my old man's mate his father was an waist gunner in a b17 called "Dixie Demo 2" and he was in fightin bitin heres a picture of his original patch i was going to get a copy of it painted onto my a-2 but then decided against it

24b85826e2bbb3.jpg

CatWild

New in Town
I am fascinated by this entire thread.

My mother-in-law was Robert Stalker's girlfriend at the time of his death. She is now 93. Recently she shared some correspondence she has kept from this time. There are two letters that Robert himself wrote to her. Most of the remaining correspondence are the letters she received from his mother, Josephine E. Stalker. They kept in touch for a number of years after Robert's death. Some of these letters are, naturally, quite poignant.

I don't think my mother-in-law ever really got over the death of her boyfriend. In fact, years later after she'd gotten married, she named her first-born child after him. So yes, my husband's name is Robert.

I would like to know where the jacket is now. Not to buy it or anything. But if it has been donated to a museum it would be nice to see it. And possibly take my mother-in-law to see it as well (if she's feeling up to it).

If anyone has any information about Lt. Stalker, or indeed any of the other crew members, I would love to know.

Thank you all,
Cat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner