Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscar nominations

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The list can be seen here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080122...ations_list;_ylt=AiURSDaVXlXZHp1__FPeQl1xFb8C

Some surprises for me: not nominated Paul Dano for There Will Be Blood, James MacAvoy for Atonement but most of all Joe Wright for Atonement. I can't believe the latter was snubbed--that was the best job I saw all year!

I was surprised to see Viggo Mortensen for Best Actor (I didn't see the movie).

Any thoughts?

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
I'm glad to see that No Country For Old Men got the respect it deserves. I think, however, that Josh Brolin is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood and wish he got more notice. I think Philip Seymore Hoffman stole the show in Charlie Wilson's War.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen most of the nominees, but... I expected more for Sweeney Todd. And I'm obviously in the minority, but I really think The Diving Bell and The Butterfly is overrated.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
I'm actually shocked to see "There Will Be Blood" was not nominated for original score. Pretty ridiculous.

Agreed! The score was a huge part of the atmosphere of that film, really well done.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
I love movies, but am a slave to work and family and rarely get to see many. Still I do usually manage to get out to see at least a few of the top films. This is the first year ever when I've not seen a single film nominated in any of the top categories. :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HadleyH said:
yes.... but will the awards ceremony happen at all?...... remember, there is a Hollywood writers' strike! [huh]
Well, the last strike in 88' didn't derail the Oscars.

"We're dealing with contingencies, but we're full steam ahead," said Sid Ganis, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, moments after nominations for the 80th annual event were announced in Beverly Hills.

"The point is we're going to have a show, and we're going to give these incredible artists what they're due," he added. "We're going to present Oscars on February 24."

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
It Would Be Nice...

..if Johnny Depp won Best Actor. I don't think this is his "Best" performance, but the man is so extremely talented and has been snubbed for too long. It's overdue.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
NoirDame said:
..if Johnny Depp won Best Actor. I don't think this is his "Best" performance, but the man is so extremely talented and has been snubbed for too long. It's overdue.

i completely agree but unfortunately his personal actions, moving to France and whatnot, has probably ruined his chances(IMO)...it really shouldn't but...

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I'm a real movie lover but I hardly ever go to the theater any more -- like an increasing number of American adults, I catch up with the movies later on DVD. The multiplex experience just isn't inspiring. I think the only movies I saw on the big screen this year were Zodiac (twice) and 300 (with a friend who wanted to see it). I thought that Zodiac was brilliant and was sorry to see it snubbed by the Academy.

I might go see Sweeney Todd when it opens here this weekend, and four of the five Best Picture nomineees are screening locally (There Will Be Blood hasn't arrived yet). But I always think I'm going to go, and I usually just stay at home and watch another DVD. It's a nicer time and I get to hang with my cat. I'll probably catch up with these nominees sometime in 2009. :)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Murtha, even if you don't get a chance (or see the need) to see many of the nominations, see There Will Be Blood in the theater. There are some movies which become an experience when viewed the way they were originally meant to be seen.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
Mr. Murtha, even if you don't get a chance (or see the need) to see many of the nominations, see There Will Be Blood in the theater. There are some movies which become an experience when viewed the way they were originally meant to be seen.

No argument here! I cherish many of my big-screen experiences. I do think we are in the waning days of that delivery system, so current films that are truly designed for the big screen, such as There Will Be Blood, may one day be seen as the equivalent of the last flowering of silent films in 1927-1928.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I am stunned with the nominations. I saw Juno a few weeks ago, and thought it was overrated. Looks like the Academy thinks otherwise, but we have had differences in opinion for quite a while now. lol Paul Dano, James McAvoy, Tim Burton, and Helena Bonham Carter all deserved nominations, and the Academy's snub is completely frustrating. Last year, when Forest Whitaker won over DiCaprio, I was furious. The show has lost all real meaning. No one wins who deserves the honor, anyway. And I think the categories are far too narrow (how can you possibly compare There Will Be Blood, to No Country for Old Men, to Juno to truly say which was the better film?).

That said, I'll probably still watch the show to see the dresses. lol :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael