Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OT \ Therapy

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've been to it, CAT, analytic therapy, pointing out your depressive patterns etc so you can overcome it. was interesting but it was a set number of sessions and very rigid. none of my friends have ever done it, i was the "mad" one for tring it

i'd like to know how it works in the US (seen here as the land of therapy) is it a more ongoing thing. is it a normal thing to do?

Usually over here, at least from what I've seen, treatment for depression's more like "a pill a day and an office visit every week or two for the rest of your life." I got lucky in my bout--I had a shrink who understood about my preference for a decisive "kill-shot" fix and worked up an aggressive but short-term treatment-plan for me, and I was also able to bring brute force of willpower to bear on it.

Adopting a worldview of "pick up the dice and throw 'em again--you get 'snake eyes' on 100% of the rolls you don't make!" helped too. Although that may have also been part of the "hardening" process that made me who I am now...

My impression, both as former patient and former psych student, is a lot (not all, but a disturbing number) of professionals see each patient as a potential long-term revenue-stream.

Smuterella

One Too Many
see, its different here. at least wen its part of the free health service (NHS)

its like they are doing it because they have to and cannot wait to get you out quick enough to the point where nothing is explored in depth

Also, bear in mind that my experience was around a decade ago... before all the new "fad" treatments came onto the scene, when Prozac was still the hot new thing instead of "everyday issue". Clinical assessment of American society today as seen through my eyes, adding the "autistic sociopath" angle on to the above-mentioned: overmedicated, over-pshrinked and effectively lobotomized... "Pain is how you know you're still alive. FIDO--Flip It, Drive On!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo