Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

This was offered to me by someone I’ve bought from in the past. The price was right and I accepted. I’m thinking I can find it a home; it looks to be in good shape.

56199117440a65048619a5c3870e4a96.jpg

8381e76b5e8de1b0c66ee6d66c210d78.jpg

e852304ac5c8eae382a26163a7521216.jpg

f0deebd1d049fafe1f0890f694dd16a8.jpg

b40985c4824c95643baa85b384547c6d.jpg

5bb32fc42564e905b5699ff8ae9ac063.jpg

d88831b3cb3c4d011f893715c1ae0b6d.jpg

5b8eedb3852f576118d745f1ecb51233.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Saw this nice looking chest on a posting for a local auction today:
IMG_1468.jpg

And then the money shot:
IMG_1469.jpg

Maybe a half dozen or so hats, right? Definitely worth going to check out. Boy, was I wrong:
IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1473.JPG IMG_1472.JPG

That's right folks, (10) felts and (5) straws! They were taken out of the chest and placed in random stacks on a table. Winning bidder to get choice of stack. I chose them all.

Now here's the kicker. Only (1) is a 7-3/8, which I plan to keep. The rest of the sizes range from 7-1/2 to 7-3/4 LO. (All you big headed folks...breathe.) I didn't try all of them on, but some may have shrunk a little bit, so I might keep some more, TBD.

Here is an alphabetical list of the haul (though not in order as shown in pics, sorry, my bad):
FELTS
  1. Adam 7-1/2 Dk. Brown 2-1/4
  2. Adam 7-1/2 LO Brown 2-3/4
  3. Cavanagh 7-1/2 Brown 2-5/8
  4. Disney 7-1/2 Dk. Grey 2-1/4
  5. Dobbs 7-3/4 LO Dk. Brown 2
  6. Lee ? Black 2
  7. Mallory 7-3/8 LO Tan 2-3/4
  8. Resistol 7-3/4 Dk. Brown 1-3/4
  9. Resistol 7-3/4 Grey 1-3/4
  10. Resistol 7-3/4 Dk. Grey 1-7/8
STRAWS
  1. Bee Cool 7-3/8 Brown 2-1/4
  2. Boegel's 7-1/2 2-Tone 2-1/2
  3. Dobbs 7-5/8 LO Grey 2
  4. Lee 7-1/2 Grey 2
  5. Sea Spray 7-1/2 Natural 2-5/8 to 2-3/4
Condition ranges from good to excellent. The vast majority have brown sweatbands, so likely hats from before mid-60s (don't crucify me for this oversimplification). I would suspect most are from the 50s, maybe a 40s hat or two but don't hold me to that yet (need to research). There isn't a single hat I wouldn't wear due to flaws, though some do have mothing, light stains, etc. Obviously there are some stingy brims, but hey, they were part of the stacks and need love too.

This posting is NOT about selling any of these hats. Any inquiries or offers received will be of no interest and hold no bearing in terms of who was first to respond and therefore have "dibs." I do intend to move most of these on as they are too big for me. My preference would probably be a trade, but let's be honest, money talks. Maybe I can even earn a few bucks and get a custom with Art at VS in this final week.

Whether I use the Classifieds and/or eBay hasn't been decided yet. I'd prefer to keep it here within the Lounge brotherhood. The only thing I dislike about that is that it's basically a who sees the listing first, which sort of is unfair. I know an auction style format is not allowed here, so I have no intentions of conducting business like that. Perhaps a lottery system where all interested parties are given a number which is then chosen at random? I don't know if that would fly.

Anyway, more to come in the near future. Obviously a lot of work needs to be done in terms of properly documenting each hat, so please bear with me as this will take some time. I shall do my best to share this wealth.

View attachment 181683

And then the money shot:
View attachment 181684

Maybe a half dozen or so hats, right? Definitely worth going to check out. Boy, was I wrong:
View attachment 181685 View attachment 181686 View attachment 181687 View attachment 181688

That's right folks, (10) felts and (5) straws! They were taken out of the chest and placed in random stacks on a table. Winning bidder to get choice of stack. I chose them all.

Now here's the kicker. Only (1) is a 7-3/8, which I plan to keep. The rest of the sizes range from 7-1/2 to 7-3/4 LO. (All you big headed folks...breathe.) I didn't try all of them on, but some may have shrunk a little bit, so I might keep some more, TBD.

Here is an alphabetical list of the haul (though not in order as shown in pics, sorry, my bad):
FELTS
  6. Lee ? Black 2
STRAWS
  3. Dobbs 7-5/8 LO Grey 2
  4. Lee 7-1/2 Grey 2
Condition ranges from good to excellent. The vast majority have brown sweatbands, so likely hats from before mid-60s (don't crucify me for this oversimplification). I would suspect most are from the 50s, maybe a 40s hat or two but don't hold me to that yet (need to research). There isn't a single hat I wouldn't wear due to flaws, though some do have mothing, light stains, etc. Obviously there are some stingy brims, but hey, they were part of the stacks and need love too.

This posting is NOT about selling any of these hats. Any inquiries or offers received will be of no interest and hold no bearing in terms of who was first to respond and therefore have "dibs." I do intend to move most of these on as they are too big for me. My preference would probably be a trade, but let's be honest, money talks. Maybe I can even earn a few bucks and get a custom with Art at VS in this final week.

Whether I use the Classifieds and/or eBay hasn't been decided yet. I'd prefer to keep it here within the Lounge brotherhood. The only thing I dislike about that is that it's basically a who sees the listing first, which sort of is unfair. I know an auction style format is not allowed here, so I have no intentions of conducting business like that. Perhaps a lottery system where all interested parties are given a number which is then chosen at random? I don't know if that would fly.

Anyway, more to come in the near future. Obviously a lot of work needs to be done in terms of properly documenting each hat, so please bear with me as this will take some time. I shall do my best to share this wealth.

What a find! Please let me know when you list them...I’ll also keep an eye on our classifieds. The 7 3/4 felt hats are of the most interest to me, but those 7 1/2 hats could also tempt me.

I’m waiting to stumble into that kind of find myself. :)

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on the killer find and good on you for bringing them to the Lounge! Looking forward to any more detailed pics you post. I might have a couple of 7-3/8 sized hats for trade bait (a brown Dobbs Hankachif and a modern-ish light colored Stetson Open Road with a black contrasting ribbon). Maybe a couple of others. Hit me up if interested...

Thanks, Bob! When I arrived early to preview the auction the hats were still in the trunk, which was closed and had a couple rugs on top. When I opened it and started looking one of the auctioneers commented that he forgot to take out the hats. A small part of me was disappointed that I let the proverbial cat out of the bag.

It was about a 90 minute wait after the auction started before they got to the hats. During that time the people obviously browsed and shuffled them about, so the stacks changed a few times. Had I known they were going to be sold choice of stack I would have stacked them in my favor. Can't complain, though, all things considered. There were a couple hat boxes and a couple clear plastics containers as well, in addition to some other odds and ends. I think maybe a cap, some ties, suspenders or something. I actually have to go back and look.

I appreciate your trade bait comment, but I do want to try to be fair to all who may be interested. This post was just to celebrate the find and alert those who may potentially be interested as I know these larger sizes are harder to come by. I first will need to document and research each hat so that I can provide the best information possible for everyone. Any transactions will be conducted in an appropriate thread in the Classifieds, which may simply be a reference to an eBay listing. Still to be determined. Possible trades, however, will receive consideration and very well may be my first course of action before trying to sell outright. Still too early, however, to say for sure. Sorry for the ambiguity.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
What a find! Please let me know when you list them...I’ll also keep an eye on our classifieds. The 7 3/4 felt hats are of the most interest to me, but those 7 1/2 hats could also tempt me.

I’m waiting to stumble into that kind of find myself. :)

I know, right? I thought I potentially hit the jackpot just when the I saw the picture of the open chest. I mean, I hardly ever find hats when I'm out and about at auctions or estate sales. If I do, it's all stingy brim 60s/70s stuff. And then I got there, opened it up, and the hat parade just kept coming and coming. Hard to be inconspicuous when the hats just kept piling up.

I purposely didn't wear one of my hats so as not to tip anyone else off of my interest. People probably thought I was nuts buying all of them. An older lady asked me afterward if I worked for a theatre and bought them for costume wear. I politely explained that I was merely a collector.

One way to solve your fairness issue. List the hats in the classifieds, stating you will begin taking offers in three days. Bump 'em every day. Then sell them.

If anybody misses seeing them, you gave them a fair shot, I think.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

My understanding was that an offers only (not a price OBO) was not allowed on The Lounge Classifieds as it’s basically an auction at that point.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
One way to solve your fairness issue. List the hats in the classifieds, stating you will begin taking offers in three days. Bump 'em every day. Then sell them.

If anybody misses seeing them, you gave them a fair shot, I think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the idea of posting a "heads up" X amount of days ahead of time. I am under the same impression as @deadlyhandsome, however, in that soliciting cash offers is frowned upon here and violates the Classifieds rules. (Pretty sure I even pointed this out once to a newbie in the past who engaged in this practice. Then I'd be a hypocrite as well.) I don't want to pit people against each other like that.

I think right now I'm leaning towards initially listing a hat for trade and using that as a precursor to a sale X days later if no suitable trade comes about. After that I'll use a random number generator to determine which hour of the day I'll open the listing up to a sale format.

I guess one could argue that this is unfair to those that don't have hats to trade. Also, is soliciting multiple hat trade offers really any different than soliciting multiple cash offers? I guess I need to reflect on this some more. Listing on eBay simplifies things but they don't need a cut, and I'd prefer to keep the hats in house. Then again, maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is and I should just post them for sale first come first serve.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the idea of posting a "heads up" X amount of days ahead of time. I am under the same impression as @deadlyhandsome, however, in that soliciting cash offers is frowned upon here and violates the Classifieds rules. (Pretty sure I even pointed this out once to a newbie in the past who engaged in this practice. Then I'd be a hypocrite as well.) I don't want to pit people against each other like that.

I think right now I'm leaning towards initially listing a hat for trade and using that as a precursor to a sale X days later if no suitable trade comes about. After that I'll use a random number generator to determine which hour of the day I'll open the listing up to a sale format.

I guess one could argue that this is unfair to those that don't have hats to trade. Also, is soliciting multiple hat trade offers really any different than soliciting multiple cash offers? I guess I need to reflect on this some more. Listing on eBay simplifies things but they don't need a cut, and I'd prefer to keep the hats in house. Then again, maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is and I should just post them for sale first come first serve.

You’ll go crazy if you try to make things “fair” for everyone. You’re obviously an ethical person and I don’t think anyone will have any right to complain no matter how you list them.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
JACKPOT! Wow, what a find!

View attachment 181683

And then the money shot:
View attachment 181684

View attachment 181685 View attachment 181686 View attachment 181687 View attachment 181688

FELTS
  6. Lee ? Black 2
STRAWS
  3. Dobbs 7-5/8 LO Grey 2
  4. Lee 7-1/2 Grey 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana