Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

This one ranks as "item of interest". On auction at this very moment is this rather spiffy looking bicorn:

View attachment 373414

It once belonged to Napoleon and is likely to go for about $1.000.000 to $1.500.000. Before you dismiss it, here's a point of interest: the emperor wore a size 59! So, Max @drmaxtejeda , here is the ultimate in hard to find hats. Relatively speaking of course, because the famous Frenchman would have felt right at home here, having owned an estimated 120 hats, all made by Poupart&Cie. And this is the second hat on auction in a short period.
For those wanting to know more:

https://news.artnet.com/market/hat-...aparte-just-sold-1-4-million-sothebys-2012810

https://www.forbes.com/sites/guymar...-could-fetch-up-to-2-million/?sh=328b9f635f3e

https://www.christies.com/features/...ls-us-about-the-power-of-branding-6280-3.aspx

Vive la France!

Mexico already had an Emperor Maximilian…it didn’t turn out so well. :)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
This one ranks as "item of interest". On auction at this very moment is this rather spiffy looking bicorn:

View attachment 373414

It once belonged to Napoleon and is likely to go for about $1.000.000 to $1.500.000. Before you dismiss it, here's a point of interest: the emperor wore a size 59! So, Max @drmaxtejeda , here is the ultimate in hard to find hats. Relatively speaking of course, because the famous Frenchman would have felt right at home here, having owned an estimated 120 hats, all made by Poupart&Cie. And this is the second hat on auction in a short period.
For those wanting to know more:

https://news.artnet.com/market/hat-...aparte-just-sold-1-4-million-sothebys-2012810

https://www.forbes.com/sites/guymar...-could-fetch-up-to-2-million/?sh=328b9f635f3e

https://www.christies.com/features/...ls-us-about-the-power-of-branding-6280-3.aspx

Vive la France!
Wowwww!!! Smart guy, Napoleon. Poupart&Cie, huh?

Mexico already had an Emperor Maximilian…it didn’t turn out so well. :)
Yeah! I believe he was misled by the Mexican right wing of the time. Who would've thunk it?
Well, the US have had their own emperor: Norton I , emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. Before you get too excited, Max, he later took that latter part back, claiming "It is impossible to protect such an unsettled nation!"
Leaving no heirs, the US decided he was irreplaceable and he remains the only emperor they've had. Whether that was for the better is a matter of opinion.;)
Apparently he didn't own a bicorn.
Emperor_Joshua_A._Norton_I.jpg
emperor norton.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Well, the US have had their own emperor: Norton I , emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. Before you get too excited, Max, he later took that latter part back, claiming "It is impossible to protect such an unsettled nation!"
Leaving no heirs, the US decided he was irreplaceable and he remains the only emperor they've had. Whether that was for the better is a matter of opinion.;)
Apparently he didn't own a bicorn.
View attachment 373682 View attachment 373681
Ha! I had no idea! Thanks, Stefan!

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I have a hat defeat/scam story for you. I was looking to order a Navy Stetson Temple in 7 3/8 recently. 10 days ago, I placed an order from Bencraft Hats in Brooklyn, NY. The first part that seemed off was that the images on their website for the Temple were outdated or incorrect:

StetsonTemple.jpg

This was their image for a Temple in Caribou. Note the vastly different Stetson Pin and feather arrangement.

temple_by_stetson_-_175_-__navy.jpg

This was their image for a Temple in Navy. I believe this is actually the Stetson Saxon in Navy. The brim seems smaller, and appears to have an underwelt edge.

The price is also odd, $185, which is at least $15 lower than most other websites. I made the mistake of ordering one. I then called them to ensure that they had stock (everyone is having supply chain issues now). They first said that they didn't have any in store, but might have in the warehouse. They called me back hours later saying that they don't have any in stock, and did not know when they would get more in. I asked for a refund. They agreed, but never issued it. They also refused or doubletalked receiving a confirmation of the refund. I called back the next day, and was assured that the refund would be issued that day. It was not. I filed a PayPal claim, from which they would automatically resolve in my favor if Bencraft didn't contact them within 10 days. 10 days later, today, the claim was resolved in my favor. There is no evidence that Bencraft was aware of the claim, or even contacted PayPal within the 10 day period. I'm just happy that I got my money back.

Be careful if you order from Bencraft Hats in the future. The hat still shows that it is in stock.

I won a nice navy blue Homburg on a Canadian online auction site but they won't tell me the shipping cost until after I have paid for it.......so we have a stand off as I refuse to pay until I know the shipping. I have strong suspicions that the shipping is stupid expensive and I won't be paying for the hat I 'won'.

Was it the blue Stetson Special homburg? If so, I bid on it too but didn’t go very high because of the unknown shipping costs.

Not knowing the shipping cost is a fact of life with these kinds of auction houses. It’s unfortunate, but what can you do? I’ve had to pay over $100 to ship a hat from one of those types of auctions and I had no idea of the cost until after I won the auction. I just factor in exorbitant shipping when bidding.

Was it the blue Stetson Special homburg? If so, I bid on it too but didn’t go very high because of the unknown shipping costs.

Not knowing the shipping cost is a fact of life with these kinds of auction houses. It’s unfortunate, but what can you do? I’ve had to pay over $100 to ship a hat from one of those types of auctions and I had no idea of the cost until after I won the auction. I just factor in exorbitant shipping when bidding.
I bid mostly because it had a Canadian location. But I am willing to burn that bridge if they won't tell me the shipping up front. "So sue me!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points