Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Resistol 3X:

32B9D358-4B91-430B-AB4F-B768B58EC09C.jpeg
42148934-0D97-47FC-8515-32B0D91C5E21.jpeg
CFFF29F4-68A7-451A-B7F1-F49DB40B277A.jpeg

wsmontana

A-List Customer
My first post here is going to be a sad defeat (but a bit humorous in hindsight). I’d been shopping for a nice fishing hat and this one fit the bill and was in my size. The seller had a whole cubic foot to work with but I guess this was the box closest on hand. Thankfully my return request was granted.

052265F6-7086-4469-988D-99E03CD66DD3.jpeg

My first post here is going to be a sad defeat (but a bit humorous in hindsight). I’d been shopping for a nice fishing hat and this one fit the bill and was in my size. The seller had a whole cubic foot to work with but I guess this was the box closest on hand. Thankfully my return request was granted.

View attachment 400032
Sorry for the frustration… glad your return was taken care of. This type of thing used to be a bigger concern/fear to me. But being that I have received some vintage hats completely smooshed and been able to reshape them with ease… often without even steam… some of that fear has been erased. I definitely understand making sure you get what you pay for… though sometimes if the price and hat are right it is worth the extra effort to save it.

Last week was nothing but trouble landing interesting hats, so these are all gripes.
First a Barbisio Rat Gondin in a lovely colour and shape. Before I could put in an offer it was already gone.
barbra1.jpeg
barbra2.jpeg
barbra7.jpeg

Then I missed out on this Stetson no. 1 quality. Not a hat we see a lot here (we actually never see them here). It was gone before I could even consider making a bid.

qual1.jpeg
qual2.jpeg
qual3.jpeg
qual6.jpeg

And finally I was outbid on this leather top hat case. It went for a song in the end as well. Sometimes it's better to stay in bed.:(
boit1.jpg
boit3.jpg
boit5.jpg

Gripe:

I won two lots at the same auction (a 1920s/30s Stetson BRE with a Portis box and lot of four hats with a 1930s Stetson Special, a trucker cap, a beret, a Swedish wool cap and a cheap straw hat).

1644466871521.png

1644466913035.png

I asked that the two Stetsons be shipped in the Portis box (in a separate shipping box) and, if there was room they could add the beret and wool hat in the Portis box as they were pretty flat -- and asked them not to ship the straw or trucker hat. I also asked them to ship to my daughter's address as I knew I would not be home when they arrived. There was a delay in shipping as they initially billed me and indicated they were sending to my address -- not my daughters . It took a couple more days to change to my daughter's address , re-bill me, process my payment and ship the hats.

I also won another lot of hats from a different auction house. A vintage Resistol fedora that had a cheap modern fedora and a camo hat in the lot.

1644467514478.png

I asked them to only ship the Resistol and keep the other two and specifically asked them to ship it to my daughter. They shipped and several days later I get a notification from USPS that I had a box coming to my city address (where I would not be). Since there was a foot of snow on the ground I attempted to change the delivery on-line to go to my daughter as I didn't want the box to land on my snowy porch or for her to travel to pick it up. The USPS website allowed me to enter her address, but the screen just blinked at me and showed no indication of success or an issue. I get another notification the next day that it was still coming to my address so I called the USPS and they said they could only hold it at the Post Office for me to pick up. Then they attempted delivery to my house anyway (with a foot of snow on the porch), decided that wouldn't work so they took it back ... and finally held it for me to pick up.

I was able to get both picked up today. I was very concerned about the Stetson BRE and Special as the box was very small.

My Open Road clone is on there for scale. The BRE lot is supposed to be in the box on the right.

IMG-2226.JPG

I expected the Resistol to be by itself in the box on the left. Nope -- the cheap fedora and camo came along for the ride.

IMG-2228.JPG

The shipment that was supposed to have two Stetsons in a Portis box (inside a separate shipping box) was missing the Stetson Boss Raw Edge hat and the Portis box. But hey -- it came with the straw and trucker hat! Seems like a fair trade, right?

IMG-2227.JPG

IMG-2230.JPG

I'll get better pics of the 1940s Resistol and 1930s Stetson Special tomorrow with better light. The auction house has been notified of the missing Stetson BRE. I'm not a happy camper.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Gripe:

I won two lots at the same auction (a 1920s/30s Stetson BRE with a Portis box and lot of four hats with a 1930s Stetson Special, a trucker cap, a beret, a Swedish wool cap and a cheap straw hat).

View attachment 401033

View attachment 401034

I asked that the two Stetsons be shipped in the Portis box (in a separate shipping box) and, if there was room they could add the beret and wool hat in the Portis box as they were pretty flat -- and asked them not to ship the straw or trucker hat. I also asked them to ship to my daughter's address as I knew I would not be home when they arrived. There was a delay in shipping as they initially billed me and indicated they were sending to my address -- not my daughters . It took a couple more days to change to my daughter's address , re-bill me, process my payment and ship the hats.

I also won another lot of hats from a different auction house. A vintage Resistol fedora that had a cheap modern fedora and a camo hat in the lot.

View attachment 401044

I asked them to only ship the Resistol and keep the other two and specifically asked them to ship it to my daughter. They shipped and several days later I get a notification from USPS that I had a box coming to my city address (where I would not be). Since there was a foot of snow on the ground I attempted to change the delivery on-line to go to my daughter as I didn't want the box to land on my snowy porch or for her to travel to pick it up. The USPS website allowed me to enter her address, but the screen just blinked at me and showed no indication of success or an issue. I get another notification the next day that it was still coming to my address so I called the USPS and they said they could only hold it at the Post Office for me to pick up. Then they attempted delivery to my house anyway (with a foot of snow on the porch), decided that wouldn't work so they took it back ... and finally held it for me to pick up.

I was able to get both picked up today. I was very concerned about the Stetson BRE and Special as the box was very small.

My Open Road clone is on there for scale. The BRE lot is supposed to be in the box on the right.

View attachment 401029

I expected the Resistol to be by itself in the box on the left. Nope -- the cheap fedora and camo came along for the ride.

View attachment 401027

The shipment that was supposed to have two Stetsons in a Portis box (inside a separate shipping box) was missing the Stetson Boss Raw Edge hat and the Portis box. But hey -- it came with the straw and trucker hat! Seems like a fair trade, right?

View attachment 401028
View attachment 401026

I'll get better pics of the 1940s Resistol and 1930s Stetson Special tomorrow with better light. The auction house has been notified of the missing Stetson BRE. I'm not a happy camper.
^^^ NOT like
Murphy outdid himself on that one Bob.
I sure hope the BRE makes it!!
B

Gripe:

View attachment 401033

View attachment 401034

View attachment 401044

View attachment 401029

View attachment 401027

View attachment 401028
View attachment 401026

Uggh. What an ordeal

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I’m a novice in fixing up hats but wanted to find a project hat to give it a try. I found this Rand’s hat that seemed like a good project without a huge loss if I bungled the job.

I’m happy with the way it turned out. I’m still debating whether to invest in a new liner — I can buy one from Rand’s for $14 to $25.

Based on my research, I think the hat is around 50 years old.

Here are some before and after pics.

F01455D8-D32B-41A1-B26E-96EBB1065EE2.jpeg
9C025963-B789-4C93-A507-CFF322317138.jpeg
9FCAB55B-DBFF-4DE5-891B-6CD523BCD281.jpeg
F57788AE-9064-4DC3-9168-D1385ACD2C43.jpeg
4878A9ED-EC2B-4F60-9E7F-A629E6AAFA3F.jpeg
1E541C44-3D69-4013-B6AF-4A940470939B.jpeg
D32CDD77-C018-463A-8400-D2F87ADC7585.jpeg
E7901B63-DFD3-4010-A8C5-33E06575C387.jpeg
7D1750AC-290E-4792-B63F-BC511DFC72DC.jpeg

I’m a novice in fixing up hats but wanted to find a project hat to give it a try. I found this Rand’s hat that seemed like a good project without a huge loss if I bungled the job.

I’m happy with the way it turned out. I’m still debating whether to invest in a new liner — I can buy one from Rand’s for $14 to $25.

Based on my research, I think the hat is around 50 years old.

Here are some before and after pics.

View attachment 401120 View attachment 401121 View attachment 401122 View attachment 401123 View attachment 401124 View attachment 401125 View attachment 401126 View attachment 401127 View attachment 401128

You did a great job. I particularly like the hat band and how it really pops after you cleaned it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ