Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out Of The Past-Farewell, My Lovely

classiccraig

New in Town
Pulled out my DVD of Out Of The Past the other night, great to watch it again, Mitchum was so cool. I was able to get a really nice condition copy on DVD of Farewell, My Lovely(remake of Murder My Sweet) that Mitchum did in 1975, and it's pretty cool. Obviously, more graphic that the original would allow, and not quite up to the quality of a 40's Noir, but still well done. Have any of you seen it? One cool thing I noticed, Mitchum's trench coat in Farewell my Lovely looks almost exactly like the one he wore almost 30 years earlier, in Out Of The Past, it's almost identical actually! Maybe I can post some screenshots if I have some time, but I thought that was pretty awesome when I saw it!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Yep. I've seen both films many, many times. I'm still waiting for FML to make it back to DVD, though it makes the rounds in a letterboxed print on encore or starz or some such classic movie channel. Heck, I even like Mitchum in 1978's The Big Sleep, which is set in London, for cryin' out loud! Jerry Fielding's score was recently issued on CD, too. And speaking of music, don't you just love David Shire's jazzy music for FML?

There's a wonderfully vile story regarding Mitchum's suit from Farewell, My Lovely. I'll direct you to Lee Server's Robert Mitchum biography "Baby, I Don't Care" for that little tale!

BTW, the next time you watch Out of the Past, try it with the subtitles. In the scene where Mitchum goes to Meta Carson's boss' apartment, the boss asks Mitch if he wants a Martini ("Have a Martini?"), but the subtitles read his words as '"Apple Martini?"

!!!!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I love both those movies. FAREWELL, MY LOVELY was intentionally made to resemble an old movie, and they did a great job with it.

As I posted in another thread recently, for my money, Mitchum's the perfect Marlowe.

And the other actors in FML deliver memorable performances, too, especially Silvia Miles as Jesse Florian.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I am sooo mad that no company has released Mitch's FMY in a good, letterbox edition. I had a copy of the only DVD release, and it looked terrible. Muddy, and dirt on the print. That movie demands a cleaned-up release (and if in Blu-Ray, all the better).

Maybe we all could chip in and buy the rights to it for a DVD release.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:
I am sooo mad that no company has released Mitch's FMY in a good, letterbox edition. I had a copy of the only DVD release, and it looked terrible. Muddy, and dirt on the print. That movie demands a cleaned-up release (and if in Blu-Ray, all the better).

Maybe we all could chip in and buy the rights to it for a DVD release.

My understanding is that the rights to the 1975 version of Farewell, My Lovely are tied up in legal issues for the north American release. It's the reason that the DVD release a few years ago was pulled just a few months after it came out. It's not that they don't want to release it, they just can't.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn