Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Past. R. Mitchum - 1947

Feraud

Bartender
Jeff Bailey, a.k.a. Jeff Markum played by Robert Mitchum is a small town gas station owner(and former detective) with a girl. Life is going along pretty swell until one day a friend stops by to see him. A mutual "friend" of theirs wants to see Bailey regarding some unfinished business. The friend, gangster Whit Sterling is played by Kirk Douglas. This was Douglas' second film role but he gives off the impression of a seasoned actor.

The unfinished business involves a girl(Jane Greer) and $40 thousand bucks.
Mitchum's character is a guy in over his head surrounded by people he cannot trust. Partners, lovers, employers, etc. are potential betrayers. The story takes a viewer on a few twists and turns as the movie develops. The film is Noir at its best.

A great movie with great dialogue. When Mitchum is questioned by Douglas about his quiet nature, Mitchum quips, "I never learned much listening to myself."

Mitchum to Jane Greer after she betrayed him, "Just get out. I have to sleep in this room."

Mitchum wears the tradition detective rumpled rain coat look Bogie made immortal in Casablanca.

You must see Out of the Past
if you are a fan of Film.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
yeh, that's a great hard-boiled movie. Mitchum is perfect to play that type of tough guy. I even used an address (that doesn't exist) from that movie for the address on Wilcox's license in the gumshoe story we all wrote.

The Wolf

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Solid Noir

I have it on DVD. I LOVE IT. It is wonderfully shot in Bishop, and Lone Pine, CA. Robert Mitchum is splendid. Pure Noir Gumshoe. Twists like a pretzel. And dames. Who wouldn't love this one. Costumes, scenery, music score, and cinematography, as well as cutting dialog. Few get it as good as Mitchum. Oh, and you get some of the great "regulars" too, and of course, Kirk Douglas. I give it a 9 out of 10.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Out of The Past

Amen. Brothers!
Out of the Past is a great introductionto film noir for someone new to the genre.
It contains all of the elements that noir is known for: captivating femme fatale, greedy mobsters, double-crossing partners, a chunk of loot that everyone is after and, most importantly, a main character who "made a mistake, one time" to paraphrase Burt Lancaster in The Killers.
If you haven't seen it, you really owe it to yourself to check it out.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I've always felt that acting schools shouldn't let actors graduate until they can sell lines like the one Mitchum has to say in "Out of the Past:" "Then build my gallows high, baby."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy