Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outdoor Preparedness Overkill

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
From today's Denver Post:

"I tell people that if they plan to go more than 100 yards away from their car, they need to be prepared to spend at least one night out," says Kevin Wright, who is on the Alamosa Valley Search and Rescue team.​

Apparently, I was taking my life in my hands yesterday when I went to the mountains dressed in shorts and a t-shirt and walked more than 100 yards from my car. It's a good thing I now have an expert's opinion on this.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I think it depends on where you are. I used to live in the interior of Alaska and it made a great deal of sense to have survival gear, especially for winter driving. I tend to be pretty well prepared for long drives or if I think I might be hiking away from the car.

However, since the 1990s there has been this "bobo"/Lonely Planet traveler tendency for urbanites to be outfitted as if for backpacking in the Rockies while shopping in town: vibram soled boots, perfomance fabric, fanny back with first aid kit, boonie hat, polar fleece jacket, etc. I have a good friend who everyday is essentially ready for a 2-3 day hike in the woods when teaching in a city (he dresses much that article's "ready for the elements" photo). He takes that mantra "cotten kills" way too seriously and wears performance fabrics even when going to the movies.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
map & compass

I wonder how many people reading the article or dressing like the picture for the movies, actually know how to read a map and compass?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
What the article didn't mention is that a little common sense goes a long way. If you're not an outdoorsy person, stay on the trail, pay attention to where you're going, head back long before dark if you're not camping, and head back if the weather starts to turn.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Chasseur said:
I think it depends on where you are. I used to live in the interior of Alaska and it made a great deal of sense to have survival gear, especially for winter driving. I tend to be pretty well prepared for long drives or if I think I might be hiking away from the car.

I live in the Denver area, and even here, the weather can turn from sunny to blizzard in less than an hour. I keep a blanket, tennis shoes, and jumper cables in my car. I'm always prepared to get out of my car and walk if I have to.

James71

A-List Customer
There are many places in Australia where you can be completely lost 100m from the car. Mulga scrub country where you cant see 10 feet springs to mind. Its dead flat out there. No water. No landmarks. Impenetrable scrub.

And if one of our snakes or spiders bite you and you arent prepared appropriately no car is going to save you no matter how close it is.

Finding water here also isnt a case of looking for the nearest gully and finding a stream. Most of our streams dont run for years at a time.

Many an unprepared traveller has perished in this country on what they considered very safe terrain not far from civilisation. Last year a young man died 6 feet from a walking track not 5kms from my house, having fallen off a small cliff and braking his hip. A space blanket, simple first aid kit and some water and he would have lived to tell the tale. As it was they found his cold dead body in the morning.

Roll your eyes at the well prepared if you will, but when the worst happens you will be asking for their help.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
What I didn't like about the article was that it recommended taking a lot of gear on a short hike.

Yes, people here get in trouble, too. Personally, I don't get close enough to the edges of cliffs to fall off and I don't go where I can't see the trail. If I tended to put myself in riskier situations, I'd take more gear and more precautions.

We have two poisonous species of spiders here, but you're more likely to encounter them in your garage than in the mountains.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
As always, it's all about the context. It's silly and wasteful to suggest the same level of preparedness for a post-picnic amble and a remote bush adventure.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Creeping Past said:
As always, it's all about the context. It's silly and wasteful to suggest the same level of preparedness for a post-picnic amble and a remote bush adventure.

Hi

When you INTEND to go into the bush, you'll be more prepared, but if you end up where you didn't intend to... Then you need the better kit. I would suggest that you take things that will come in handy "just in case" that are light. First aide kit, with the clotting stuff in it, aspirin, a full water bottle (drink from it every day), pocket knife / leatherman, rain poncho or scotch-guarded wind breaker, snack food (replenish it every day after you eat it), dryer lint (fire starter), matches, string, sun screen, and $5 or 10. You can afford to loose $10 and if you don't it will get you through the toll roads etc.

Hey, I did that from memory, so I know there's stuff missing.

Later

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Paisley said:
What I didn't like about the article was that it recommended taking a lot of gear on a short hike.

Other than the shelter tent / bivouac bag, the other nine items, would fit into your pockets.

When I worked as a forest ranger, we used to have people call us on their cell phones saying, "come get me, I'm lost." Expecting us to "zero in" on their cell phone signal. Most people's idea of being prepared, is to take a cell phone. If they get in over their head, they think they can "call for help," and someone will immediately beam down, and save them. If it took you an 2 hours to hike there, it's going to take us at least that long, to get to you.

shortbow

Practically Family
Personally, I'd rather be lost in any wilderness of B.C. than in any big city in the world. On me at all times is a knife, a lighter and a compass. After fifty years of stomping about the wild places of North America I'm still here.

Seems to me if you're so terrified of the bush that you have to be prepared for a thousand mile cross country expedition every time you go for a little walk in the woods, you should just stay home and be comfortable.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lone_Ranger said:
Other than the shelter tent / bivouac bag, the other nine items, would fit into your pockets.

When I worked as a forest ranger, we used to have people call us on their cell phones saying, "come get me, I'm lost." Expecting us to "zero in" on their cell phone signal. Most people's idea of being prepared, is to take a cell phone. If they get in over their head, they think they can "call for help," and someone will immediately beam down, and save them. If it took you an 2 hours to hike there, it's going to take us at least that long, to get to you.

Hi

At least some dorks in Smoky Mountain NP did you one better. They had a GPS unit AND a cell phone. The knew where they were, but they didn't know where their car was... or the trail... or Gatlinburg... lol

Later

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
SlyGI said:
I wonder how many people reading the article or dressing like the picture for the movies, actually know how to read a map and compass?
Exactly!
While I can understand the frustration of the person in the article, having worked with Search and Rescue in New Mexico (and seeing some ridiculous lack of preparation and lack of common sense stuff), telling people to get some equipment is only part of the solution. They have to be familiar enough with the gear to use it, maybe even use it while injured. The story in the article about the guy with the beacon illustrates this point. The type of guy that is going to wander in the mountain wilderness in flip-flops and a t-shirt is not going to be able to build a temporary camp even if he has the gear.
I agree with Paisley, too. Common sense goes a long way. Also, if you are going to explore some isolated wilderness alone, one of the the best, easiest things to do preparation-wise is let someone know in the city where you are going and how long you plan to stay.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
It's not how much you carry so much as carrying the right bits and having the knowledge of how and when to use them.

A map and compass are a necessity in the real wilderness. A reliance on GPS to lead you in and out is foolish. Even if there is a trail.

Whilst living in Calgary in the 90's I used to do trips from 2 to 10 days alone, in the real wilderness. Never had a problem. From my army days I had a (British) mess tin packed with all the items i needed to live wild. That was in a fanny pack in case i had to dump my ruck if i encountered a bear. I could keep warm, build a shelter, light a fire, trap/fish, dress minor wounds and stitch them if needed, deal with blisters, an emergency survival sleeping bag of foil etc, etc. Shan't bore you with the contents. That's not the point of this thread. Might make an interesting other thread though !

For more popular hikes with wide trails, good visibility and the knowledge that many others would be using the path, I still carried that little kit. Who knows when some other idiot might need my help and I'd never forgive myself if I came a cross a situation where, but for a few items, I had the knowledge to help someone but couldn't for lack of a few items. For example if someone twisted their ankle and i found them at the end of the day, no mobile signal and so on.

But the bottom line is that wherever you go, you must be prepared to take responsibility for yourself. Assume help won't be readily available and make sure you have the skills to look after yourself and not just expect others to risk themselves for you.

Dave

JimWagner

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:
But the bottom line is that wherever you go, you must be prepared to take responsibility for yourself. Assume help won't be readily available and make sure you have the skills to look after yourself and not just expect others to risk themselves for you.
Dave

Word to live by regardless of where you are.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Dudleydoright said:

Dave

Yes--words to live by. Rescuing someone who is stuck on a cliff can be dangerous. This is one reason I stick to wide, popular trails and only go out for a few hours in nice weather. I'm not opposed to roughing it, it's just not for me. Being treed by a moose with a calf (which happened to my father) or spending the night outdoors in the rain isn't my idea of recreation. And I don't want to start a forest fire.

Taking a basic kit for others is a nice idea. I saw quite a few hikers last weekend wearing flip flops, and less-fit people can become exhausted, especially if they're from a low altitude. If a person's blood sugar gets low enough, they can forget they have food and a cell phone.

And I agree about the gear. Gear - ability to use it = pretty much useless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner