Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outfit design: Senator Jack

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
A while back I posted a picture of a blue check Italian sport coat I have. Senator Jack responded that he had a very similar coat in black and white. He also recommended the following to match with it:

1 Starched white shirt (here, Brooks Brothers french cuff, been around for years)

2 Medium-width red tie, brick red type (here, brand name Wembly deco tie, $5 in a lot of deco ties on eBay, all of them cool, all with embroidery)

3 Black pants (here, DKNY flat front, had for years)

4 White pocket square (this one happens to have my first initial embroidered on it, $5 on eBay)

I should have a black belt, but I don't. Also, I'd prefer plain black pants instead of the pinstripe thing (what do folks think?). I also have a 1920s medium-width tie in a solid maroon which my tailor is lengthening right now; I think that one will look good too. And the result (after having the sleeves on the jacket shortened as someone on the Lounge pointed out needed doing) is:

sjoutfit2.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
It reminds me of the outfit Micheal J Fox wore to the 1955 dance in "Back to the Future". Very cool.

I'm cracking up here, Adam. We need to terrorize horse tracks in this rigout! But where's the hat? Oh, and be prepared for the Sinatra comments. People need to compare against what they know. Of course I love it, but that's because I like everything from 1890 to 1966 (except for Hollywood patch pocket jackets) Let me know how this works out!

Regards,

Senator Jack

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Cool Duds

The look is very unique. The patterns go back a way (& the skinny tie) but as an ensemble its not really dated. The low stance on the coat and britches seems to contemporize it a bit. The doo works for you - you don't need a hat. Picture of the shoes ?

m

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Tin Men!

clevispin said:
Thanks for posting this pic. I haven't thought about Tin Men in years; I'll have to go rent it tonight (and I just found a place online to buy the script...Glengarry Glen Ross is another great one I got recently).

I notice that the fellows in the Tin-Men picture who are wearing skinny ties also have narrow lapels (as Mr. Deckard advised). As I wear stingy-brimmed hats, and will probably wear thinner ties exclusively, maybe I should do something about the lapels on this jacket. Is it possible to have them narrowed? I like the jacket enough that I'd be willing to pay for it.

Thanks for all the kind words, gents. I'll post a photo with a fedora and of the shoes (trying to decide which pair looks right) soon.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
I find the "mix" of wide & narrow interesting.

Glengarry - One of my alltime favorites (as is anything w/ Mamet's hand in it). Pacino's monolouge at the end "You child, you fairy..." is classic. I recall the flick had a website dedicated to it with the entire script laid out.

m

Naama

Practically Family
Well, I think a bright red tie would look better.... But then again, I'm a girl, I don't know much about ties and suits 'n stuff... :rolleyes:

Naama

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Bright red

Naama said:
Well, I think a bright red tie would look better.... But then again, I'm a girl, I don't know much about ties and suits 'n stuff... :rolleyes:

Naama
I'll try that too. I have my eye on a cool one, now I'm just hoping the hosers don't bid it up too high. I'll post a pic if I get it, or another.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Bright red tie and a hat

At Naama's urging, I tried a bright red tie. A female friend agreed she thought bright was better than dull in this case. I'm not 100%. Got many compliments on this outfit tonight. Everyone concured that this is the rigout in which to go terrorize the horse tracks.

rigout1.jpg

Here's a shot of the shoes. I'm wearing a brown belt, so these Prada shoes are a good match. They're so dark brown they look black under most light.

prada.jpg

Red linen tie (medium width, 3") on eBay: $4

Prada shoes: steep discount from a friend who worked a Saks--$150?

Grimstar

Familiar Face
adamgottschalk said:
I notice that the fellows in the Tin-Men picture who are wearing skinny ties also have narrow lapels (as Mr. Deckard advised). As I wear stingy-brimmed hats, and will probably wear thinner ties exclusively, maybe I should do something about the lapels on this jacket. Is it possible to have them narrowed? I like the jacket enough that I'd be willing to pay for it.

It is possible to have the lapels on a jacket narrowed or restyled (unfortunately it's not possible to go the other way and make them wider... :p ) It's not a common alteration, but it can be done. A lot of people got suits from the 70's restyled in the early eighties. I have no idea how much someone might charge to do it now, it can involve a fair amount of work depending on just how the jacket is constructed. BTW, it's also possible to increase the rise on trousers, provided the legs have enough length/extra material for letting the hem down afterwards, the only tricky part is increasing the length of the fly.... just in case anyone wants that high waisted look....but I'm sure no one here would want to bother with that :p :rolleyes:

Brighter tie - Yes. Good call on that, Naama. I had tried the brighter red tie on my own combo and it seemed to be a bit forward. Perhaps it's the color variance of the jacket that makes it work, or maybe it's just a combination of complexion, hair color, etcetera that has it working for our man Adam. The hat, of course, is the keystone. Now go out and be a wiseguy.

Regards,

Senator Jack

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
personally i think the whole look is too top heavy for you: jacket too broad shouldered and too long with too low a top button, tie too long, trousers too narrow and low waisted.

but please don't be offended....i'd offer the same advice to anyone because its the 30s/40s proportion i like best : neat fitting jacket, high waisted wide trousers. i think it gives a more balanced look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda