Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over the top at the royal wedding

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
If there was anything to make me happy about a royal wedding, it was knowing the hats would be out in force. But Beatrice's hat... I think I see what they were going for. The ribbon look was supposed to echo the ribbon on an unmarried woman's coat of arms.
the-new-coat-of-arms-of-kate-middleton-s-family-image-1-361469460.jpg

Goofy, but I actually like it.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I was pretty unimpressed with most of the ladie's style at the wedding - ghastly platform shoes, pretty awful dresses and some ridiculous hats (I do like a lot of Philip Treacy's work but some of it is just too "fashion" - particularly for a wedding) - there was one lady who stuck out for me though - in a simple pink dress and small black hat - I realised later it was Amy Huberman - the wife of Brian O'Driscoll.

I didn't like Victoria Beckham's dress at all and shoes were horrible (I wore heels throughout my pregnancy but nothing as ridiculous as that) - the fact she never smiles doesn't help either - she's constantly po-faced - she looks like the unhappiest person in the world so it doesn't matter what she wears really.

But Catherine looked incredible - someone said they loved the dress the first time around - on Grace Kelly - but it was stunning and she looked so happy and radiant.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Scruffy old Becks was unshaven, again!, & Posh put her unborn Baby at risk with those treacherous heels, looking as if she was attending a funeral, dressed in black with a the look of a depressed French Poodle on her face

I think her dress is dark navy actually. And can you really call a man with such perfectly arranged hair scruffy?

I generally think it looks better to carry a top hat rather than wearing it anyway.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I thought the same Puzzicato - David looked great and Victoria, well, she always looks too overdone in my opinion. Awful hat and shoes. I liked the navy colour of the dress though.

I also thought most of the women looked dreadful, the important thing is Mrs M looked lovely and Kate looked ravishing.

As for the Queen, i liked the bold colour choice, the hat was rather dull, but she does good jewels and i wasn't disappointed with the huge overblown diamond pansy brooch and pearls she had on!

I thought Samantha Cameron looked like she was dressed to go shopping. No hat either, tut, tut.

I rather missed the Queen Mother though, she could always be relied on to wear half a florists shop and a whole flamingo on her head and some sugared-almond coloured blowzy outfit and still look thoroughly Edwardian and just so right.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scruffy old Becks was unshaven, again!

The "Gee, I'm so cool I can get away looking like a slob with uncombed hair and not bothering to shave" look has become so tiresome and tacky. I think the fashion started with Onslow on Keeping Up Appearances, didn't it? ;) Hobo chic, I suppose. I have to laugh that a friend used to say it was just he's so busy, he didn't have time to shave...and now he's griping because it takes so long to shave with a special electric razor every day so that it only looks the "cool" day or two of stubble instead of the tacky three or four days' worth.

If rushed, I can lather the shaving soap, slather it on with the brush and shave with my double-edge in half or quarter the time I used to spend with an electric razor.

Effingham

A-List Customer
but they came free when the pole was installed ...

We must have an adult beverage together some time. :)

I think her dress is dark navy actually. And can you really call a man with such perfectly arranged hair scruffy?

How about scruff-ish?

I got tired of the two-day-beard-is-cool thing halfway through the first season of "Miami Vice." And we know how long ago THAT was. Jeez.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just posted this over at the Celebrity Look Alike thread, but I thought I'd stick it here, too. I just think Michael Middleton (the father of the bride) bears a STRIKING resemblance to the late actor Burgess Meredith.

MichaelMiddletonKateMiddletonParentsMakeaQZDvFXhXk2l.jpg

Burgess-Meredith-Autographed-Portr-260408-991.jpg

Mr. Bingley

Familiar Face
What BBC didn't show us

[video=youtube;Kav0FEhtLug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug&feature=player_embedded[/video]

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I thought the same Puzzicato - David looked great and Victoria, well, she always looks too overdone in my opinion. Awful hat and shoes. I liked the navy colour of the dress though.

It's the same old issue. The bloke puts on a suit and he's done. The woman has to try and stand out amongst all the others, and still cops flak.

I'm not saying I disagree with the comments, however ...

PS Becks is looking quite healthy these days, he must have put on some weight

Mr. Bingley

Familiar Face
For me she will always get flak for that "I smell something awful" look she always seems to have on her face.

Smile, darn 'ya!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Catherine's dress was perfection. I admit, I loved the whole thing (well, except for the awful hats). Wills and Catherine looked radiant and altogether calm for having billions of people watching their every move.

But Posh...oh my goodness. She's a designer, for heaven's sake, and she looked quite awful.

Edward

Bartender
I clearly missed some level of amusement by avoiding the Windsors' wedding! I've only seen one or two photos that were reposted to Facebook. She looked well - I liked the dress, flattering, well cut and not OTT. I was less impressed with his look; I half expect that he entered the church flanked by a motorcycle cop, a sailor and a Red Indian. I don't know the protocol for Royals at weddings; I think he would have looked better in the RAF uniform, but he has recently been appointed to an honorary position of Colonel within one of the Guards regiments, so perhaps it was an obligation for him to wear that particular uniform. There must be some royal link to it, as I am told that it is traditional for Guards officers to marry in morning dress rather than their dress uniform.

But Posh...oh my goodness. She's a designer, for heaven's sake, and she looked quite awful.

"Designer"? You really think so? She's a brand. I would suspect she is more likely to be a front for a range 'ghost-designed' by another party. This is far from unheard of in the fashion world.

For me she will always get flak for that "I smell something awful" look she always seems to have on her face.

Smile, darn 'ya!

Apparently this goes back to the Spice Girls days, when she started to pout in all photos as she was considered to look horsey if she smiled. It does, however, give the impression, however unfairly that may be, that she is a rather sour person, which is unfortunate.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I don't know the protocol for Royals at weddings; I think he would have looked better in the RAF uniform, but he has recently been appointed to an honorary position of Colonel within one of the Guards regiments, so perhaps it was an obligation for him to wear that particular uniform. There must be some royal link to it, as I am told that it is traditional for Guards officers to marry in morning dress rather than their dress uniform.

I clearly paid more attention to the BBC than I thought... he decided to wear that uniform because it is his highest rank. And I reckon his Mrs said it was the prettiest.

Edward

Bartender
I clearly paid more attention to the BBC than I thought... he decided to wear that uniform because it is his highest rank. And I reckon his Mrs said it was the prettiest.

Ah, I did wonder if rank had something to do with it. Shame it wasn't the one he actually earned. Oh well. It did actually remind me a lot of one of the Disney princes, I think it was the combination of the red tunic and blue sash? I'm actually quite a fan of the Guards dress uniforms, but the pale blue sash was a little much for my liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925