Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over the top at the royal wedding

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Saw photos on CNN of some pretty odd hats on the heads of women at Will & Kate's wedding: one woman looked like she had been hit in the head with a shoe that didn't bounce off; Victoria Beckham wore a pillbox at an angle that was so extreme it could have only remained on her head through the application of glue to her forehead.

Another woman had something on her head that resembled a turkey that had been run over on the highway and plopped down on her noggin.

Queen Elizabeth wore a yellow hat that looked fine, a style that I've grown used to on her; I call it Clint Eastwood's "Pale Rider Through the Looking Glass." [I do think she would look smashing in a Stetson Gus, 7" crown with a 4.5" brim; come to think of it, she could probably pull off a Montanna Peak too if it was pushed back far enough on her head.]

Queen Margrethe of Denmark wore a modest blue hat that if unadorned would have been tasteful, but it had two or more antennae reminiscent of the rabbit ears from my old TV sticking up in the air, no doubt her reception was superb....

Sorry if I've offended anyone's monarchical sensibilities, but some hats are just over the top.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As I watched the clips this morning, I was struck by the staggeringly ugly and ungainly hats on the women, including Her Majesty. I understand she wears them like that so she'll be unmistakably visible, but oy.
I think the real hit of the day, however, was little Grace Van Cutsem. She didn't want anything to do with the whole affair. :)

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
I saw a still photo and some video of David Beckham. He had a very nice top hat, but it was in his hands the entire time, not on his head (and I'm not talking about inside the church).

Was he afraid to mess up his hair? What gives?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was interested in the morning suits worn by most of the men. My impression was that a gray or silver tie of some sort was traditional. But shades of red were most common. And no wing collars, only turn downs.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Lady Fredrick of Windsor's hat looked like the roof atop the Fashion Show Mall on Las Vegas Boulevard. I don't know how to load pic's so that they automatically appear here, but below are the links so you can see that I am not kidding.

http://sabormagazine.wordpress.com/...t-and-sculpted-straw-hat-with-festive-twirls/

http://cityguide.sheknows.com/directory/las-vegas-nv/fashion-shows-at-fashion-show-mall

I quite like that hat!

I think the winner for silliest hat goes to Beatrice (although I love her dress).
5669434994_bcdf27789a.jpg

Last edited:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
It was lovely to see so may Hats in one place at one time!

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/hot-...yal-wedding-fashion-hats-and-fascinators.html

I particularly liked the two Sophie's (Wesex & Winkleman) Hats

5671216012_45b840baa8_z.jpg

5671215932_e20e57e1f9_z.jpg

:eek:fftopic: to work out your "Royal Title" Decide on the Title Lord, Lady,Sir then use your Grandparents christian Name, for your hyphenated surname, firstly your Pets name, followed by the name of the street where your were born

so I'm

Lord Cecil Modgliani-Winscombe

5671478230_8c78dc0725_b.jpg

Last edited:

rue

I saw a still photo and some video of David Beckham. He had a very nice top hat, but it was in his hands the entire time, not on his head (and I'm not talking about inside the church).

Was he afraid to mess up his hair? What gives?

I have to say... hat in his hands or not .... he was drop dead gorgeous and I never thought much of him before. It just goes to show that when a man dresses well it makes a big difference.
victoriaanddavidbeckham.jpg

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have to say... hat in his hands or not .... he was drop dead gorgeous and I never thought much of him before. It just goes to show that when a man dresses well it makes a big difference.
victoriaanddavidbeckham.jpg

Even if he wasn't actually wearing the top hat, there's something about carrying a hat that can look very stylish. See some of the photographs of President Kennedy, for example; he carried a fedora more than he wore one, but something about that still exhibited style.

Mr. Bingley

Familiar Face
Beatrice's hat looks like the back of a chair.

As an aside, one thing I found very amusing was during the church service when they all sang "God Save The Queen" dear Elizabeth didn't sing.

I mean, she couldn't rightly sing "God Save Me" now, could she?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925