Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oviatt's Trenchcoat

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

GWD, your coat's original buckle might have looked and functioned like this one:

112_0602.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
Thank Marc and Mose!

I took Mose's advice and got this;

web.jpg

This was from a Jan 3rd 1953 L.A. Times Ad. Obviously not the same trench coat, mine was made in Italy. Nevertheless it's worth sharing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
GWD, your coat's original buckle might have looked and functioned like this one:
112_0602.jpg

I doubt it because the back side of the pointy end would be showing and it's not really in a finished state.

web.jpg

Your move, Clouseau. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My father had a belted A&F safari type jacket that featured a friction buckle made of horn. I bet they're still out there. That would look cool.

GWD

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
But that's not a friction buckle. For the one you've chosen, you'd have to punch holes along the belt. :(

I'm just going to remove the "thing-a-ma-jig" from the middle with a pair of pliers.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
GWD said:
I'm just going to remove the "thing-a-ma-jig" from the middle with a pair of pliers.

You can do that, but then you'll be left with a belt buckle that doesn't keep your belt cinched. Without real friction to hold it in place, the belt's tongue will gradually slide out of your buckle as soon as there is any "pull."

You need a special type of friction buckle. Does anybody have a photo of one to show GWD?

GWD

One Too Many
This is what is on my London Fog Trench Coat.
web.jpg

web.jpg

I'm not saying it works well. If there is something better, I'm very interested in finding it!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If you find that the leather covered buckle, with the "tang" removed, is too loose to keep the belt cinched up properly, you could probably tweak it by bending it so that it has a bit of a "V" to it- so that the sides are bent back from the centre, effectively making the buckle narrower- get a bit more tension. Or, when you sew the belt onto the centre of the buckle, put some more cloth inside the fold, to fatten it up, so the belt will be tighter going through the buckle. Or, to the same effect, get some plastic pipe, or tube, split it open and glue it in place on the centre bar.
The belt should be sewn as close as possible to the belt centre.
You'll be able to make something work, if you find the right looking, right sized buckle.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR