Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Owners of U.S. Authentic / flightjacket.com A-2 jacket owners please help.

ldmax

Familiar Face
US Auth Vintage

That vintage horse is gorgeous. I ordered a US Authentic A2 in seal horse, but sent it back. I didn't like the heavy, shiny finish. Looked like fresh road tar! Now I am considering their vintage goat.

LD

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I got my US A seal horsehide A-2 a long time ago (2002), but from day one, the leather finish was absoultely matte - flat, dull, and nonglossy. So I'm wondering when they changed it, because I'd never describe it as "shiny". (By contrast, my FS/G&B Civil A-2 in black goatskin has always been very shiny: nearly six years of wear hasn't dulled its gloss a bit.)

I will agree, though, that the US A has quite a heavy finish. Shaul assured me that it would wear down and develop a patina, but despite plenty of wear in the rain, etc., it only shows the slightest fading at a few heavy wear points like the edge of the windflap. And yeah, it's definitely some THICK, mega-tough horsehide.

kojax

Practically Family
what color is the u.s. mfg vintage horsehide a-2 flight jacket......i know it is 100.00 more the the seal brown color..........

atkins

Familiar Face
kojax said:
what color is the u.s. mfg vintage horsehide a-2 flight jacket......i know it is 100.00 more the the seal brown color..........

Hi Kojax,

Well i don't have camera to show you the vintage horsehide patches i have from Shaul. And my english won't let me describe it correctly. It's brown with reddish shade. Very cool color. It's physically thinner than US'A other color horsehide . Hope this helps.

Regards,
Atkins

kojax

Practically Family
thank you for the reply......i was wondering u.s. mfg vintage horsehide is the leather thinner or just is heavy is the dark seal horsehide leather........thanks god bless********

kojax

Practically Family
i wrote u.s. mfg today.....they told me the vintage horsehide is a little lighter jacket not that heavy..........he told me it was dark brown......

rubicon

New in Town
kojax said:
i wrote u.s. mfg today.....they told me the vintage horsehide is a little lighter jacket not that heavy..........he told me it was dark brown......

The color is a dark brown but the finish is somewhat mottled due to the dying process. This gives it both a depth of color and the appearance of being a lighter color. I can post more pics if you think it will help.

kojax

Practically Family
thank you that would help thank you very much.....my brother has the u.s. mfg. a2 dark seal horsehide.......saul told me the vintage horsehide is not that heavy compare to the dark seal horsehide.......i might look into his vitage goatskin to......thanks again....

kojax

Practically Family
u.s.mfg

has anybody seen u.s. mfg vintage goatskin or there dark seal goatskin......how is there a2 goatskin jacket.....thanks

rubicon

New in Town
kojax said:
thank you that would help thank you very much.....my brother has the u.s. mfg. a2 dark seal horsehide.......saul told me the vintage horsehide is not that heavy compare to the dark seal horsehide.......i might look into his vitage goatskin to......thanks again....

Not the best pics but the best I can do. Taken indoors with no flash. I don't know about the goat but I really like this vintage hh.

ldmax

Familiar Face
Nice hide!

That is a very nice looking hide. I like the variation in shading and texture. I was hoping to visit US Authentic as I will be passing just a few miles from there on my way to AOPA Expo next month. I emailed my request and was told by Shaul Dover that no visitors are allowed. I know several people here at the lounge have visited. I guess it was too much bother for a small busy operation. He did offer to send me leather samples.

LD

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
That kind of sucks that a guy trying to sell his wares in a niche (spelling?) market won't let you see his product first hand. I don't know about Shaul, kind of touchy when you try to veer of his path...

kojax

Practically Family
i talk to saul many of times on the phone. not the most pleasant guy to talk to......i had it out with him with a jacket i got from him........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav