Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Bags

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Seconded. And perhaps we can create a Guide.

At some point I will post the full fruits of my research on here. However, at the moment it is incomplete and I am hoping to have the work published (if I can find a magazine that gives a damn). Can't give away too many secrets yet!

Edward

Bartender
I think I'd need the entire magazine to tell the story of oxford bags. The features in The Chap would only give me enough space to tell the myth, not leaving enough room to do any mythbusting.

Maybe it's time Gustav was persuaded to bring out a book along the lines of A History of Chappist Tailoring, with longer pieces on this sort of detail? There must be an audience for that...

Edward

Bartender
Why print, necessarily?

If you want to go a more academic route, here in the UK at least there is still a heavy bias in favour of print (no matter that there are some online-only peer-reviewed journals putting out better content than some of the most respected print options). Time will change this, but for now...

This stuff definitely deserves publication, though - and a lot of noise to be made about it. The generally accepted notion of Oxford bags, it appears, is as much reality as Vikings with horned helmets...

The talk last night was superb, one of the best Sheridan lectures I've been to. FWIW, I cracked out the tape measure at home, and those bags I had on last night (HeyDay Gallipolis) are 13" across, so 26" around. Bigger that the average bags in reality, though not so huge as to be cartoony.

Anyone seen the "Some like it Holy"? website? Curious as to view of the experts on these, which don't look too exaggerated:

http://www.somelikeitholy.com/1930s-1940s-oxford-bags-c-1_33.html

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I agree, this was an excellent talk, informative and entertaining in equal measure. I do hope that it is written up in some form so that the rest of the Lounge and other interested parties can enjoy at least part of the experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21