Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paddock Boots

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I don't think this has been discussed before, but in my constant search for vintage style footwear I came across Paddock boots. Intended for horse related activities but very vintage looking for a good price. Could these be used as a boot you could wear around all day? Or are they designed too specifically for equestrian events to be comfortable? Does anyone know?

38567.jpg

38572.jpg

38497.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
I'll bite.
Depending on how substantial the sole is they should be okay for everyday wear as long as they don't have a western heel. I've had a pair like the brown ones (without the speedlace hooks) for over twenty years that I've used as costume shoes. Every once in a while I'd wear them as a daily item and not suffer for it, but I still thought the sole was bit thin for real comfort. Maybe all I needed was an insole, though.

As for the side gore elastic jhodphur boots, there are several makers out there with very comfortable "street" versions for sale. Blundstone and H.S. Trask (I think) readily come to mind.

Cheers!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Baggers wrote:
I'll bite.

Does that mean you're buying a pair?

I've been watching this thread too, waiting for a response. I see these shoes a lot at the track and I've wondered about them myself. Now I know what they're called I feel one step closer to unlocking the mystery.... I only need to know how comfortable they are for walking etc. :D

Maybe I should ask some of the grooms(wo)men I see at the track about their paddock boots.

1956dmr.jpg

Voice From Grandstand: Oy, you there, with the paddock boots; your feet feel nice!?!

Baggers

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
Does that mean you're buying a pair?

No, just meant I was going to try and answer the question. ;)

As I wrote in my post, I've owned a pair for 20-something years for use as a period costume piece in some of the shows I've been in. Costume designers can be notoriously cheap, and since I can be a bit anal about what I wear on stage or in front of the camera, I decided to buy a pair as a business investment.

The ones I have do have thin soles -- in order to have a better "feel" of the stirrup irons I suppose -- and weren't very comfortable after long periods standing on hard surfaces, but I'm hoping the more modern versions have solved that problem.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24