Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paging Dinerman: Stetson 'Special'

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know about this model?

I picked one up today. 1930s, a very red sweatband, wide edge binding, nice dimensions: 2 1/2" brim, 5" bashed crown.

What was the 'Special'?

No pics, out of town. Maybe on Friday.

I happen to have one, a dark blue homburg. It's been a while since I've had it out, but I do believe there's evidence to strongly suggest a '30s vintage.

As I recall from previous exchanges on this very topic, the "Special" was among the lower-priced of John B's offerings. Nice hat nonetheless, though.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. For being on the lower end of the Stetson scale it's a very nice quality hat. Demonstrates how quality has changed.

billyspew

One Too Many
I have one too - a self renovation project (had to take the sweat off (stitching rotten) and need to bathe it and reattach everything.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=834074&postcount=4747

According to this price list (1932) the quality was reasonably high.
pricelist1932.jpg

Though I think mine is from the latter part of the 30's maybe even early 40's as it has a reeded sweat.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
That ad makes it pretty clear that the hat was not from the lower end of Stetson's range. I was unfamiliar with the "special" class and confused it with the "standard" which was, I think, the entry level of the Stetson line in the 1920's.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
I have one too - a self renovation project (had to take the sweat off (stitching rotten) and need to bathe it and reattach everything.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=834074&postcount=4747

That's the same hat, but mine is green.

Thanks for that ad. The Special was mid-range, then.

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere else but I couldn't find it through a search. It's good to repeat sometimes.

thunderw21 said:
Thanks for that ad. The Special was mid-range, then.

My thanks as well. Just when it looks like we have the Stetson quality designations figured out, along comes contrary evidence. Makes me think that Stetson wasn't all that consistent about these things.

I just retrieved my old Stetson Special. A peek under the (reeded) sweatband reveals, among other things, a $5.00 price tag.

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
I got one too, one of the JohnnyPhi hats. Very light almost white-ish blue gray color with a black Playboy style ribbon. Pumpkin colored reeded sweat, early 40's. One of my favorites, 5 1/2" open crown 2 1/2" brim and very light weight felt.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'd go mid to late '30s on that. See the old style gold (instead of manila) size tag?
Definitely an early one.

The box appears to be from the same era.

Feraud

Bartender
I just received an absolutely gorgeous Setson Special.
It has a slightly fuzzy finish in a green felt w/ green hatband.
Will update this thread with pics. My cell phone camera doesn't provide justice to how nice this fedora is in color and quality.
I will take some outdoor sunny shots of the hat.

Stay tuned..

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Looks like the precursor to the Whippet...;)

Cheers,
JtL
Remember, the Whippet goes back to 1937, although I don't think we've seen one here that early.
The Stetson Special(not this liner) goes back to the 19th Century.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy