Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pajamas in public...

"Saw three girls in PJs in my local Tesco convenience store Sunday morning. No-one said anything to them. Everyone pretended not to notice. The silent assumption seemed to be that they were the offspring of ageing chavs or escapees from a juvenile detention centre. I feel such a clod now. How could I not realize as I bought my Racing Post and carton of milk that here was cutting edge fashion parading before my bleary eyes? To think I felt sorry for them!" :rofl:

Chavs! This is the best comment. :p lol lol lol

The PJ's in public has been around in So-Cal for quite a while. It tends to be cute college girls in my area but that just doesn't offset the intimates concept. You can wear a bikini at the beach and it's not far removed from just a bra and panties - would you just go out in a bra and panties? (Guys no answers here!)

Juliet

A-List Customer
You can wear a bikini at the beach and it's not far removed from just a bra and panties - would you just go out in a bra and panties? (Guys no answers here!)

Only under gunpoint.

But then again, since people parade on catwalks in underwear too, I suppose it's just perfectly acceptable. One is not, by any means, slovenly. Rather environmentally aware, minimalistic, and an avid fashion follower. :eusa_doh:

Pompidou

One Too Many
Only under gunpoint.

But then again, since people parade on catwalks in underwear too, I suppose it's just perfectly acceptable. One is not, by any means, slovenly. Rather environmentally aware, minimalistic, and an avid fashion follower. :eusa_doh:

It's only unacceptable if you think it is. Right now, walking around in just lingerie outdoors isn't really accepted by the majority. Soon enough, people will stop worrying altogether about what everyone else wears, and who knows what'll still be unacceptable then. Hopefully not much. I don't think "I don't want to have to see that," should have any power over others - not near as much as it did and does. You can go to the beach and see people you'd probably rather not wearing less than you'd probably like. Like any and all things I wouldn't wear, I'm glad others can.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
It's only unacceptable if you think it is. Right now, walking around in just lingerie outdoors isn't really accepted by the majority. Soon enough, people will stop worrying altogether about what everyone else wears, and who knows what'll still be unacceptable then. Hopefully not much. I don't think "I don't want to have to see that," should have any power over others - not near as much as it did and does. You can go to the beach and see people you'd probably rather not wearing less than you'd probably like. Like any and all things I wouldn't wear, I'm glad others can.

What's appropriate for the beach is not appropriate for a cafe downtown. What's appropriate for a court of law is not appropriate for combat training in the field.

Exactly what part of "appropriate" do you not understand? Pyjamas are SLEEP WEAR. Two words. Which one or more don't you understand?

Pompidou

One Too Many
What's appropriate for the beach is not appropriate for a cafe downtown. What's appropriate for a court of law is not appropriate for combat training in the field.

Exactly what part of "appropriate" do you not understand? Pyjamas are SLEEP WEAR. Two words. Which one or more don't you understand?

If you're going to be rude, you should probably put a pair on and take a nap before posting.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
So what happens when the denizens of your friendly local nudist colony take to the streets proclaiming their freedoms? Where does the line get drawn? What is the logical end point of everything, everywhere, anytime becoming acceptable? Anarchy.

It's less, for me, about "not wanting to see that", than about what it means to wear certain types of clothing in certain types of situations as part of the "social contract". If you wear a swimsuit on the beach, and I don't want to see your junk spilling out, fine, I avert my eyes because you are dressed appropriately (if not necessarily tastefully). If you are wearing pajamas on the street, there is a difference, because to others it says "I have dementia/mental health issues and need to be guided back to the rest home" or "I am sleepwalking". Pyjamas in public is disturbing on a deeper level than the glaringly obvious one of, "I am a total slob, and it is all about me me me me me".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well said. It's basically the argument of a five-year-old child who doesn't want to be told that there's such a thing as Rules in life, that there are times when certain things are appropriate and there are times when those things are not appropriate.

I don't believe in absolute freedom for anyone, not even for myself, and I don't think anyone but a few pimply adolescents who hide Ayn Rand novels under their mattresses actually does. Without limits, society can't exist -- and with all the "freedom" palaver pushed aside, the only place most people disagree is not whether there *should* be limits, but where those limits should be placed.

Last edited:

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
So what happens when the denizens of your friendly local nudist colony take to the streets proclaiming their freedoms? Where does the line get drawn? What is the logical end point of everything, everywhere, anytime becoming acceptable? Anarchy.

It's less, for me, about "not wanting to see that", than about what it means to wear certain types of clothing in certain types of situations as part of the "social contract". If you wear a swimsuit on the beach, and I don't want to see your junk spilling out, fine, I avert my eyes because you are dressed appropriately (if not necessarily tastefully). If you are wearing pajamas on the street, there is a difference, because to others it says "I have dementia/mental health issues and need to be guided back to the rest home" or "I am sleepwalking". Pyjamas in public is disturbing on a deeper level than the glaringly obvious one of, "I am a total slob, and it is all about me me me me me".

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Although I abhor the wearing of pajamas in public, I do realize that the definition of what is appropriate is everchanging. Many, me included, might not like it but as long as it is not illegal, there will always fashion (mis)statements invading our world. As for nudists taking to the streets, that is a stretch compared to the P.W.P.s as one is a crime and one is not. Sadly, in general the bar has lowered across the board for what is and what isn't appropriate and it looks like there is no turning back.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Although I abhor the wearing of pajamas in public, I do realize that the definition of what is appropriate is everchanging. Many, me included, might not like it but as long as it is not illegal, there will always fashion (mis)statements invading our world. As for nudists taking to the streets, that is a stretch compared to the P.W.P.s as one is a crime and one is not. Sadly, in general the bar has lowered across the board for what is and what isn't appropriate and it looks like there is no turning back.

I think that if people are upset about the PJs in public, you should make sure that they are not worn in your sphere of influence. If you are a business owner, or work in a business, encourage the company to have a minimal dress code for employees and customers alike. If you work in a federal or state building, have them institute a basic dress code (most governmental offices here have dress codes). As long as you are not discriminating against a protected class, there is nothing wrong with a minimal dress code. In fact, most places have them: "No shirt, no shoes, no service." Add sleepwear to that. You have the right to refuse service as a business owner- you could refuse service to all the fedora wearers or all the PJ wearers.

As far as the nudist worry, there are some places that allow public nudity. For instance, several years ago a police officer arrested a group of women for being topless in a public park near here. Turns out that park allowed men and women to be topless and had since it was donated almost a century ago and nothing in the city ordinance disallowed women to be topless. Yet I lived in that city for 8 years and never encountered a single topless lady and there hasn't been an outbreak of topless ladies wandering around since this event was publicized.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't pajamas originate in the east as daily living wear, as well as the social lounging clothes pictured in this thread? There's just as much history for pajamas as not sleep clothes as being sleep clothes. Very little ground for a dedicated fight against changing their use again. Wasn't the fedora originally a woman's hat? Named after a lady in a play? And jeans - not just for miners anymore. There needn't be a fight every time someone wears clothes outside their totally arbitrarily, and often temporarily socially constructed role. And they are arbitrary. If I wore my pajama top with a pair of jeans, it'd take a keen eye to notice that it's not just a thicker button shirt.. Then there were those pics of the 90s pants that were pajamas in all but name. Even the Louisiana government couldn't come up with a better definition than the rack it happens to be sold in at the store. Let's take a pair of jeans. If I buy them in a blue collar supply shop of some sort, are they socially relegated to labor only? If I go to men's warehouse and pay twice as much for them, now I'm allowed to wear them to nice places?

Edit: I was just thinking, maybe Abercrombie and Fitch could save the day here by making pajamas intended for public wear. Keep in mind these would be identical to pajamas as we know them, but they'd cost more, and more importantly, they'd be properly labelled. It's absolutely vital that an article of clothing never see a use it's maker didn't sell it for, and then everyone here could rest at ease. They're not pajamas, they're... Pajamaz.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
It occurs to me that perhaps the best way to counter the vile tide of public jammies-wearing is to go out as sharply dressed as possible at all times and thereby win over the masses by our collective sartorial excellence. Fedora Loungers UNITE!!

Sharp dress HOOOOOOOO!

Pompidou

One Too Many
It occurs to me that perhaps the best way to counter the vile tide of public jammies-wearing is to go out as sharply dressed as possible at all times and thereby win over the masses by our collective sartorial excellence. Fedora Loungers UNITE!!

Sharp dress HOOOOOOOO!

That is the best way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred