Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pale or Tan?

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if you were referring to using commercial bleaching cremes but please be careful, a lot of lightening cremes are just as dangerous as getting a sunburn! Hydroquinone, one of the more popular ingredients in those cremes, has been linked to cancer in some studies.
There are quite a few homemade recipes for lightening your skin without the chemical risk.

No, no.. I'm using prescription cremes.. for elderly. :) They work the same way: for old people, they help get rid of age freckles.. For people like me, they fade the tan away.
And, yes.. sometimes I do use homemade recipes. Lemon. lol

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
No, no.. I'm using prescription cremes.. for elderly. :) They work the same way: for old people, they help get rid of age freckles.. For people like me, they fade the tan away.
And, yes.. sometimes I do use homemade recipes. Lemon. lol

I can understand not wanting to get a tan, but bleaching it away? That seems rather pointless to me. But whatever works for you.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can understand not wanting to get a tan, but bleaching it away? That seems rather pointless to me. But whatever works for you.

I'm just removing tanning marks. I get those when I'm in the Sun for some time. They are ugly patch-looking gray areas on my skin. Thus.. bleaching the specific area.. NOT all of me. lol
(Who needs vampires, when you can have UV allergies any day..)

:D

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I'm just removing tanning marks. I get those when I'm in the Sun for some time. They are ugly patch-looking gray areas on my skin. Thus.. bleaching the specific area.. NOT all of me. lol
(Who needs vampires, when you can have UV allergies any day..)

:D

Ah. That makes more sense.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Pale. Or a little fake tan to make me feel thinner! If I do apply a little of the old fake tan, it's only a very light one, and then usually just the legs as nine NEVER tan (or even burn).

I would love to be one of those girls that tans to a lovely golden colour, but I just go red and I just look burned, in a grilled-bacon kinda way. Not attractive! Mind you, neither is the wierd orange/mahogony colour some women are permanently around these parts. Very strange.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
DONT TAN!! this is me last week, Basal Cell Carcinoma ( Skin Cancer) removed from my Nose 18 stitches, I had an excellent plastic surgeon and am healing very well

5780323413_0727184635_z.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Miss Puzz, but apparently, its all about the colour of ones eyes,the lighter they eye colour the more susceptible.

Well, at least we get some compensation for having boring, dark brown eyes. Light eyes are so much more interesting, but apparently come at a cost.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Skin cancer runs in my family so I've always been careful about sun exposure. Hats in the summer and sunscreen everyday. I don't really think the slight tan makes people look thinner, but I guess that's because in So Cal you see everyone tanning for tanning's sake. I have to say other than laugh lines (which I'm happy to sport) I have far fewer wrinkles than most of my friends who grew up out here.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't tan and don't have any desire to. I'm very pale and white and while my hubby would prefer I get a little "color" in my legs, I ignore him. ;)

I got a scare a few weeks ago, though, when I took my daughter (she's 11), to her pediatrician to get a mole checked. They didn't like the looks of it, and a dermatologist will be removing it this Friday. She's fair like me, so I will have to watch her and the sun, too.

Miss Flora

New in Town
Personally, I love the look of a tan. I mean, so many stars, including Audrey and Sophia, look amazing with a tan!

I've actually had friends discourage me from tanning; they like that I pull off the "Snow White" look of fair skin, dark hair, and red lips. However, my doctor has prescribed tanning, or at least a UV lamp, for some skin issues I'm having and to increase my vitamin D levels, even though skin cancer runs heavily on my dad's side (he just spent weeks enduring horrible treatments for skin cancer on his face). So I try to get about 10-15 minutes of exposure then 'screen up for the rest of the day. I don't mind being fair but it would be nice to be dark for the summer.

Last edited:

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I've literally only been tan on purpose maybe three times since I was 14 and rejected my mother's Barbie lust (she used to 'help me' bleach my hair and perm it, ahhh! lol) and decided to fade into my natural skin and hair colors. But I've been thinking about finding a sunless tanner that's a little more on the sand side than 'tan', since 'tan' seems to mean orange in my price range! I can't imagine myself purposely tanning in the sun, I feel burned just thinking about it!

Miss Flora

New in Town
I've literally only been tan on purpose maybe three times since I was 14 and rejected my mother's Barbie lust (she used to 'help me' bleach my hair and perm it, ahhh! lol) and decided to fade into my natural skin and hair colors. But I've been thinking about finding a sunless tanner that's a little more on the sand side than 'tan', since 'tan' seems to mean orange in my price range! I can't imagine myself purposely tanning in the sun, I feel burned just thinking about it!

I started using Ulta's brand of sunless moisturizing lotion (it's actually a sunless tanner, but they call it sunless moisturizer). It usually retails $6.99. Gives a light sandy tan and doesn't go orange. If you watch, you can get buy one get one free, plus free shipping over $10. (I usually throw in a NYX blush or something small so I can get free shipping offer.)

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
Thanks for that Flora! I'll definitely be on the lookout for that, especially at that price!

Stray Cat - I haven't, thank Thor almighty, ever been around anyone who's just left a tanning booth. I'm lucky enough to have never been near one, as I'm sure my sickly, sallow pallor demonstrate. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy