Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Palm Beach Suit = Smaller Guys

flyfishark

Practically Family
great suit...the pants would fit one leg and the coat would cover my back--I think! How tiny were they in the 30s?? Didn't they have any fat men with great seersucker suits??

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Good luck finding a 30s Palm Beach Belt-Back for $130. Had that suit been my size I would've gladly paid the $230 it closed for -- and considered myself luck to get such a deal too!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just out of curiousity, did someone on here steal the suit from me (I was the first bidder but not willing to go more than $130)?

It's an open auction. Might be worth your researching the current market prices on vintage PB (good PB threads in TFL). But your price ceiling was limiting.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's an open auction. Might be worth your researching the current market prices on vintage PB (good PB threads in TFL). But your price ceiling was limiting.

I was aware that the price would most likely be considerably higher than my pathetic limit (though I had my hopes up because of the small size). However given my limited budget and limited use for a palm beach suit I wasn't willing to go higher than that. I don't mind that I lost the auction though as it means I can save my money on finding a blue suit which I will be able to wear a lot more often.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
great suit...the pants would fit one leg and the coat would cover my back--I think! How tiny were they in the 30s?? Didn't they have any fat men with great seersucker suits??
There were fat guys, there were tall guys, but there weren't many slightly overweight guys. Most people didn't quite get enough to eat, so if you were heavy it was almost always a glandular condition and extreme in nature.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm lucky that I'm slim enough to fit into a lot of vintage pieces. My height is often a problem but thankfully most vintage trousers have cuffs which allow them to be lengthened by an extra three inches, at only a minor aesthetic expense.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
I am one of those who had it on the watch list but I was in the sauna and forgot the time. I didn't even bid, but would have bid more. Buyer had so many feedbacks I think s/he was a dealer, bidding contest would have been costly :D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I am one of those who had it on the watch list but I was in the sauna and forgot the time. I didn't even bid, but would have bid more. Buyer had so many feedbacks I think s/he was a dealer, bidding contest would have been costly :D

A Finn in the sauna ...no that's very unusual!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I'm lucky that I'm slim enough to fit into a lot of vintage pieces. My height is often a problem but thankfully most vintage trousers have cuffs which allow them to be lengthened by an extra three inches, at only a minor aesthetic expense.

I still think that even by letting out the cuffs the pants would have been too short on you. I think the jacket's length would have been a problem as well as it's only 28" long from TOP of collar to bottom of hem. And as far as the price goes: almost all Palm Beach suits I have seen so far ended up somewhere north of $300.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
IF there is one single item that most of us would like to see being remade, it has to be Palm Beach cloth suits. I know that production stopped when the mill in Maine burned down. Someone, somewhere could start a revolution by duplicating the cloth and the style. I've promised myself one before I die, but I'm a modern 42 regular. Woe is me!

repeatclicks

Practically Family
IF there is one single item that most of us would like to see being remade, it has to be Palm Beach cloth suits. I know that production stopped when the mill in Maine burned down. Someone, somewhere could start a revolution by duplicating the cloth and the style. I've promised myself one before I die, but I'm a modern 42 regular. Woe is me!

Then youll be gutted to know a friend of mine has a couple, including one in cream and one in rust brown in your size.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I know that production stopped when the mill in Maine burned down. Someone, somewhere could start a revolution by duplicating the cloth and the style.
I know many fabric merchants and tailors who have vintage suiting laying around. I bet if you contacted every one from A-Z you'd find at least one bolt of PB cloth.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I still think that even by letting out the cuffs the pants would have been too short on you. I think the jacket's length would have been a problem as well as it's only 28" long from TOP of collar to bottom of hem. And as far as the price goes: almost all Palm Beach suits I have seen so far ended up somewhere north of $300.

If I recall the inseam was 29", so I could have got it to nearly 32" which is just enough for me. As for the back it would have just been enough for me as well.

Either way, I'm not madly after a palm beach suit, just after a light coloured linen or linen blend DB. Therefore I'd quite happily settle for a MTM linen suit when I can afford it.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
If I recall the inseam was 29", so I could have got it to nearly 32" which is just enough for me. As for the back it would have just been enough for me as well.

Either way, I'm not madly after a palm beach suit, just after a light coloured linen or linen blend DB. Therefore I'd quite happily settle for a MTM linen suit when I can afford it.

What about the jacket I tipped you off to? Snatched it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo