Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pampering

bgltexas

New in Town
Shampoo

Many of you have mentioned you would not give up your shampoo. I haven't found a shampoo that I would consider "luxurious". Could any of you recommend a good shampoo for dry color treated hair? I have a hand lotion I love, Votivo's Sea Island Grapefruit that is $18 a bottle, but is very silky, quick absorbing, and smells wonderful. I received it as a Christmas present. In the economy now, I hesitate to spend that much myself on something that seems like pampering. Thanks.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
bgltexas said:
Many of you have mentioned you would not give up your shampoo. I haven't found a shampoo that I would consider "luxurious". Could any of you recommend a good shampoo for dry color treated hair? I have a hand lotion I love, Votivo's Sea Island Grapefruit that is $18 a bottle, but is very silky, quick absorbing, and smells wonderful. I received it as a Christmas present. In the economy now, I hesitate to spend that much myself on something that seems like pampering. Thanks.

Redken Extreme or Back to Basics coconut mango.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I feel like I've given up everything lately :( I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is books. They're cheap from Amazon and I'm a slow reader so it's easy to make sure I always have enough to read. And for some reason I always seem to find myself buying lingerie when times get tough. Even if it's expensive, it's one thing I'm always allowed, at least if there's a sale. Ironically, I had VERY little lingerie until a few years ago, and now it seems the less money I have the more I own! And I swear that's not where it's all going lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't feel like I've had to give up anything. :)

But if my husband or I found ourselve jobless (FORBID!) I would miss all this stuff:

Starbucks
Sushi
Insta-Curry
Fabric
Patterns
1930s Movie mags

The very extra stuff that keeps me sane!

Haha! What a difference two years makes! (Wow, it's been that long?) My husband DID get laid off later that year lol But he joined the NG and is way better off. He hated that job anyway so it was a good thing :D

I don't buy anything on that list anymore. Not because of belt-tightening, I've just moved onto other things. I do like my sushi, though. Ok -- that one stays. The others I haven't bought in a while. I just gave up Dunkin Donuts coffee. Hmmmm -- I'm into hair dye now, I guess. Bright red is my main colour these days.

Last edited:

Juliet

A-List Customer
The things I couldn't give up:
Quality haircut
Quality shoes
Lush shampoos (or their hairdye, but thankfully that turns out even cheaper than other brands)
Brazilian coffee

I don't think I'd consider good foundation/concealer and moisturizer a real luxury, more like an investment - definitely worth it in the long run.

Lush's coconut shampoo - very rich and creamy

Last edited:

Tatum

Practically Family
I have realized that I value free time more than being "budget-free" lately, so I've cut back on both my jobs. Which makes me have to cut back a few things to keep from having to scrimp on others...

Cutbacks: Starbucks (but not working day shifts at the restaurant makes it easy, now it's a treat), fabric (I need to use what I have), and general impulse buys (I have enough makeup, curling implements and kitchen gadgets to get by).

All that saved is going into my gardening and beekeeping hobbies, and by working less, I get to work in the garden and with the bees more, and I have more time to sew!

Not all the ladies might consider that pampering, but I was feeling frazzled, so that is pampering enough for me. It is also more time to lounge in the bathtub!

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
Totally OT, but I have always loved the idea of beekeeping, despite it not being a vegan thing to do. It always seems so peaceful and I'd love to learn about those amazing animals one day.

Tatum

Practically Family
Totally OT, but I have always loved the idea of beekeeping, despite it not being a vegan thing to do. It always seems so peaceful and I'd love to learn about those amazing animals one day.

I am a VERY high-strung person, so it makes me slow down. It's my therapy, and I consider it pampering, and good local honey is a luxury I suppose! :D
You have to be in a peaceful state of mind to work the bees. I never realized that it wouldn't be vegan, but I guess since honey is an animal byproduct... What if you kept bees just to keep them? Lots of beekeepers do just that, and don't harvest the honey. Would that be acceptable for a vegan?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What a great idea for a hobby. I've always been fascinated by bees, and when I was little I used to catch them in mayonnaise jars so I could watch them and then let them go. Hardly ever see them in this neighborhood, though, which is depressing.

As for me, about all the pampering I can manage to do these days is go to bed before 10pm when I have a night off. Those extra hours of sleep are mighty luxurious.

Marla

A-List Customer
Buying vintage clothes, accessories, sewing patterns, magazines, and etc. is how I pamper myself. That I could never give up. I'd rather starve than pass up a pretty frock.

Juliet

A-List Customer
Buying vintage clothes, accessories, sewing patterns, magazines, and etc. is how I pamper myself. That I could never give up. I'd rather starve than pass up a pretty frock.

This reminds me of a quote from an old book (mid-century) I read once: "Given the choice between buying leather gloves or a piece of meat for dinner, a young lady always chooses gloves, as it is well known that giving up meat once a week will improve the waistline."

I wish I could remember which book it was, it was full of such gems.

Marla

A-List Customer
This reminds me of a quote from an old book (mid-century) I read once: "Given the choice between buying leather gloves or a piece of meat for dinner, a young lady always chooses gloves, as it is well known that giving up meat once a week will improve the waistline."

I wish I could remember which book it was, it was full of such gems.

That quote has wisdom in it, and I wish you could tell me where you read it first! Retail therapy never fails...

HepKitty

One Too Many
When I was in Germany I spent a lot of food money on CDs that I couldn't get in the States. Remember this was long before the internet shopping rage.

Don't wear full makeup that often, but it has to be good stuff. Otherwise it's not worth the hassle. Oh, and I must have red and pink nail polish, though red usually wins when it comes to painting time.

I only allow myself Starbucks when I'm on the road, then it's one drink per day

I will not live without vitamins, fabric, patterns, and a functioning sewing machine

Not a happy girl without music and dancing. *really* not happy without them. This is therapy for me

I'm starting to not want to live without flying, rock climbing, and snowboarding. But due to obvious expenses, these may have to be limited. Good thing I have a nice stash of patterns and fabric, and I haven't destroyed my sewing machine yet. I can at least keep from getting completely bored

Juliet

A-List Customer
That quote has wisdom in it, and I wish you could tell me where you read it first! Retail therapy never fails...

Unfortunately I absolutely can't remember! Only thing I know it was belletristic literature and not a manual on manners or a historical study. And that doesn't help much)))
But I'll give you another one, this one from Agatha Christie's "The Veiled Lady":
"[...]I have made my observations of your English nation, and a lady, a born lady, is always particular about her shoes. She may have shabby clothes, but she will be well shod. [...]"
Which, funnily enough, coincides with what my mother told me once: "If you're not well-shod, you are not dressed"
Actually there are several observations that Poirot makes about women's fashion of that age that are quite informative.

Not quite off-topic - because it's about what you can go without)))

P.S. I remembered one more thing that's essential - Internet!!!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Unfortunately I absolutely can't remember! Only thing I know it was belletristic literature and not a manual on manners or a historical study. And that doesn't help much)))
But I'll give you another one, this one from Agatha Christie's "The Veiled Lady":
"[...]I have made my observations of your English nation, and a lady, a born lady, is always particular about her shoes. She may have shabby clothes, but she will be well shod. [...]"
Which, funnily enough, coincides with what my mother told me once: "If you're not well-shod, you are not dressed"
Actually there are several observations that Poirot makes about women's fashion of that age that are quite informative.

Not quite off-topic - because it's about what you can go without)))

P.S. I remembered one more thing that's essential - Internet!!!

Shoes are essential!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace