Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Fedora? What is a good one?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
carldelo said:
David Morgan Panama: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319
(lounge sponsor)

Stetson Retro: http://www.villagehatshop.com/stetson_retro_fedora.html
(can be found for less, but VHS has a great return policy)

Stetson Brewster Panama: http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=475
(more money, nice lid, lounge sponsor)

I have that David Morgan Panama, and it's a nice hat. I think the Stetson Retro might be the exact same hat, based on the fact that I remember seeing somewhere that it has cloth reinforcement on the inside of the pinch, which the David Morgan does.

Glenn77

New in Town
Panamas

I bought a Borsalino a few years ago in Seattle at Utz. I think paid about $300. I had them change the Ribbon from black to a tan color because I wanted a softer look. I live in L.A. so it gets a lot of wear. It has held up well and looks great.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
EggHead said:
Mine cost me $55 (12 strands per inch) at a store about 7 blocks away. Two things that these more expensive hats had over mine - leather sweatband and ribbon was slightly better.

The best part is, ribbons and sweats can be replaced! :D And some people don't like leather sweats in their straw hats.

EggHead

Practically Family
Yes, that's the way I look at it too.

My personal preference
in hot weather
is not to wear anything leather
except for a belt.

I think I just created a haiku.

Cheers!
EggHead

ccajackson

Familiar Face
hatophile said:
Hey Egghead,

At first I thought you said not wear anything but a belt in hot weather(missed the leather part). Better get my glasses checked.

I'll send my specs along with yours... saw the same thing! :eusa_doh: :eek:

Cheers!

C-C

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
I'm selling out the garage for $25.00. Going back to Ecuador next summer, won't be here to send out hats. Cuencas.

I hope that doesn't mean you are going out of business completely....

Your hats are the best bang for the buck , no matter what price range is selected IMHO.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not-Bogart13 said:
The best part is, ribbons and sweats can be replaced! :D And some people don't like leather sweats in their straw hats.
A leather band might create more sweating, but look at it this way--it's a much better sweat barrier than a cloth sweatband, and protects the hat from getting sweat-stained. That's why you'd want to do it.

Neophyte

How do the DM Aukubra Panama hats rate ? Anyone have some pictures of them wearing them?

I don't believe the panama hats offered by DM are Akubra. However, fellow Lounger and Akubra owner Mr. E Train is in possession of the less expensive of the two (the teardrop one) and has provided the noggin pic somewhere around here. You may want to just find him and send a PM.

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
Yes your right. Woven in Ecuador, made in the U.S. I'm putting in my suggestions to my wife for Christmas. I pick three things out, and so does she. So we never know exactly what we get from one another, but we can narrow it down. I've been wanting a Panama for awhile. DM's look good for the price.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've not had any experience with them, but I would think they would be a good product or Akubra would not put their name on them. But for true Panama's at the BEST prices there is only one place to go : Panama BOB :) Here's a link to his site: http://www.panamabob.com/ I have 6 of his hats ranging from Fino Brisa Cuenca's to two Semi-Calado Montecristi's ( I've 4 Montecristi's actually and will get MORE) and will ALWAYS get my Panama's from Bob. Give him a look see. There are many here who buy from him regularly. :)

Rick Blaine

I've not had any experience with them, but I would think they would be a good product or Akubra would not put their name on them. But for true Panama's at the BEST prices there is only one place to go : Panama BOB :) Here's a link to his site: http://www.panamabob.com/ I have 6 of his hats ranging from Fino Brisa Cuenca's to two Semi-Calado Montecristi's ( I've 4 Montecristi's actually and will get MORE) and will ALWAYS get my Panama's from Bob. Give him a look see. There are many here who buy from him regularly. :)

:arated:

PB or vintage, IMO.

EggHead

Practically Family
Monbla, can you post close-up pics of your hats with various "threads counts" and weave patterns and what you paid? I am trying to decide on a Panama hat from PB for next summer and I want it to be better than my Cuenca but not go over $150. Basically I want to see the difference as the price goes up and compare to what I have now. And also the difference between Cuenca and Montecristi.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Monbla, can you post close-up pics of your hats with various "threads counts" and weave patterns and what you paid? I am trying to decide on a Panama hat from PB for next summer and I want it to be better than my Cuenca but not go over $150. Basically I want to see the difference as the price goes up and compare to what I have now. And also the difference between Cuenca and Montecristi.

Here's a couple for you:
First is my Semi-calado Montecrist with a WPI of around 506 and i got it for $135.00 as I recall:

Semi-CaladoMontecristi2.jpg

Semi-CaladoMontecristi1.jpg

and this is my Optimo creased Montecristi Medio Fino Ortega w/brown pugg band. It's Over 425 WPI and I recall paying around $130.00 for it:
005.jpg

and last a Cuenca Brisa weave which I paid $45.00 for. A NICE daily wearer . I never gave a WPI count on this one sorry :)

P8220018.jpg

PRW94

New in Town
Recommendation for Panama hat, fedora style ...

Hi, joined and posted back around Christmas to get info on fedoras, which was what "she who must be obeyed" had agreed to get me for Christmas. Got a gray Stetson Temple from Hatco and am loving it, and have made a major impression when wearing it, which I do often. (I'm still getting a few oil stains from my big ears on it, as I brought up in another post, and I've worked to clean it but I'm not obsessing over it because it's my hat and I'm leaving a little bit of me on it every time I put it on, LOL!)

Anyway, I've already told her I want hats for Father's Day and my birthday to add to the collection, and the second one's going to be an Akubra I think (I know folks here like vintage but I'm probably going to have to go new with whatever I get, because the Mrs. likes antique stores and I'm in 'em all the time and see hats all the time, was in one today and saw a gorgeous Stetson 3x beaver, but I never see any to fit my enormous 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 coconut).

However, for Father's Day I want a Panama fedora. My wife and I were out a while back and I picked up an absolutely cheapo-cheapo $19.99 straw hat, but it looked like a Panama fedora, white with black 1-inch band, and I loved the way it looked and so did the Mrs.

There's no way I can swing a high-end Montecristi, just not going to happen. I've got $100 to spend on this, maybe could squeeze a bit more, but this is basically going to be a "foot in the door" purchase to get something decent looking that has reasonable durability even if it's not impeccable quality as far as weave, etc. I've been looking online but everything's starting to run together. So I thought I'd toss out a line and see if anyone could recommend me some specific hats (maker and model), 2 1/2 or 2 5/8 brim, white color, to check out. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo