Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Fedora? What is a good one?

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Ok I want one.... there are so many to pick from online, and even in stores..

What do I look for in a good one that will last.... also if anyone knows a brand that is good that won't break the bank love to hear it!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. :)

When you say that you want one that won't break that bank, What do you mean? What price range are you looking for?

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Price range is key, but the main factor will probably be to look for a real panama hat(made in Ecuador). I would recommend Panama Bob(panamas.biz) he is a valued member of the lounge and is a great help when selecting a hat. Shoot him a PM and he can help you narrow down styles, shapes, and quality levels that fit your price range.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dwebber18 said:
Price range is key, but the main factor will probably be to look for a real panama hat(made in Ecuador). I would recommend Panama Bob(panamas.biz) he is a valued member of the lounge and is a great help when selecting a hat. Shoot him a PM and he can help you narrow down styles, shapes, and quality levels that fit your price range.
Spend more, and you get a true Panama hat. Spend less and you can buy a straw hat that may call itself "Panama." The difference is a sliding scale of fabric-like straw at the high end, to wicker furniture-like straw at the low end. You can get the idea generally from the various photos.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Frankly, my best luck with straw hats has been with stuff under $125. Usually much under. For what most people call "Panama" (which is generally isn't the real deal) satisfies many hat wearers. My best Panama-look straws are a Stetson and a Capas. The Stetson is over $100 new (I got it used), but the Capas cost me about $45 or so brand spanking new, and has served me well enough to want another.

EggHead

Practically Family
I got this in San Francisco small store

Look at my avatar. It's a panama hat made in Ecuador - Cuenca, sub-fino quality (probably). What I like about it is the natural (non-dyed) color, which makes it pliable, when color is added or other processing is done, it stiffens the material and I think that is more prone to breakage. You do not have to look for a very tight weave, IMO, a less tight weave permits more air circulation, but is still strong and costs less (less than $85). I prefer cloth sweatband on these because leather is just too thick and warm on hot days.

A decent Cuenca may be just as comfortable as a Montecristi, and will cost a lot less.

HTH,
Egghead

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
EggHead said:
Look at my avatar. It's a panama hat made in Ecuador - Cuenca, sub-fino quality (probably). What I like about it is the natural (non-dyed) color, which makes it pliable, when color is added or other processing is done, it stiffens the material and I think that is more prone to breakage. You do not have to look for a very tight weave, IMO, a less tight weave permits more air circulation, but is still strong and costs less (less than $85). I prefer cloth sweatband on these because leather is just too thick and warm on hot days.

A decent Cuenca may be just as comfortable as a Montecristi, and will cost a lot less.

HTH,
Egghead
I agree with you. It depends on what your wanting the hat for and where it will be worn. I have a cuenca semi-colado(open air vents) that I use for mowing, yard work, and the dog park. Its much cooler than my Montecristi, but it serves a different purpose. I wear my Monetecrisiti to church, out with friend and places where I won't be out in the heat for a real long time because it does have a leather sweatband its a little warm. When I know I'll be outside in the heat for an extended period of time I wear my cuenca with a fabric sweatband. But there is something to be said about the feeling I get when I pick up and put on my Montecristi, the straw is so soft it fools you into thinking its felt. Mine isn't even all that fine, there is just something about it, its buttery soft and it looks and feels great. I'm glad I have both.

EggHead

Practically Family
I wear my Cuenca to work in downtown SF and to restaurants and get compliments on it. I am sure that it would be fine in church too.
But probably not to a black & white ball.

I would not do yard work in it though, I have $10 straw hats for that.

If I could get a Montecristi for that price, I would wear it :)

I think if you plan to wear it with a 3-pc suit or something very formal, then definitely Montecristi, otherwise business casual or less casual should be fine with Cuenca.

Reddog

New in Town
The tough part is " what breaks the bank"? For each of us it is different. I have a couple Tru Panama hats, what to look for is in the weave and color, the tighter and smaller the weave and uniform color of the straw, the more expensive the hat is going to be. My first one purchased turns out was made of paper not straw, typical of a chinese panama. I didn't understand in the beginning Panama Hats are made in Ecuador until I spent a summer working in Puerto Rico. An excellent Panama can be obtained from Brent Black, $550.00 is the starting price for a custom fit lid but it is something to be proud of. I've seen Panama's can be as expensive as $25,000.00 - talk about breaking the bank. A good read is " The Panama Hat Trail" for a good perspective about the hat from grower to retailer.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reddog said:
The tough part is " what breaks the bank"? For each of us it is different...

Hi, I purchased a Sunbody and had it made into a Fedora style. Why? Because it was only $55 with a wide Maroon band and vents. Sunbodys are also a bit more forgiving if you keep them flexible. I also have a Stefano (I think) Panama. I'll probably get a few Panama's next year, but the less expensive the better. I can see a $500 felt hat, if I set on it, I can get it re-blocked. Not true on a Panama (right?) I don't like to buy expensive things that are easy for me to either break or lose.

Later

EggHead

Practically Family
Just to share my recent experience

I went to a hat store with a friend to look for felt hats. Stetson Weekender caught my eye (but that's another thread). Anyway we looked at three Panamas, Montecristi label. One was pretty stiff, others were flexible. The price was between $250 to $600. The stiff one I didn't like, it looked good, but could crack easily if bent awkwardly and it wasn't cheap, something like $350 to $450, I don't remember. The other two were similar to what I own. The more expensive one had a tighter weave, perhaps 16-18 strands per inch. We went back to the office and took a look at my hat and both agreed that the feel (Toquilla straw) was better than the $250 and a little worse than the $600 one. Mine cost me $55 (12 strands per inch) at a store about 7 blocks away. Two things that these more expensive hats had over mine - leather sweatband and ribbon was slightly better.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Thats why Panama Bob is a good fella to deal with. Great quality hats, good price ranges, and good quality products such as the sweatband, and ribbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo