Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Neil said:
Has anybody out there actually bought a hat from Brent BlacK? He sure has a great website, full of detail. He doesn't come cheap, I know, and I also know the choice on this site seems to be Robert Weber (from whom I have ordered). But has anyone dealt with Mr. Black?

Advanced search
User:MD11
Key words: Brent Black
This gentleman posted photos of his BB hat.
The most direct way however is to contact Brent Black.:)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carlisle Blues said:
Stetson Center Dent Borsalino Cuenca and Stetson shantung Panama

IMG_0648_edited-1.JPG

I have a Stetson Center Dent too, and I am very pleased with it. Nice collection!

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My question appears to be timely. I am considering a Monticristi. My prioirites are: Price, where that money is going I.E. whether in the pocket of the middleman; soley, or whether a reasonable share is being sent back to the artist and their community.

I am usually able to do a great deal of research before I am comfortable enough to make an informed and comfortable decision. On one hand all I have to do is spend $25,000 and I can have a rare treasure on the other hand I can spend a great deal less and have that same quality Moniticristi.

My life's experience has shown me that there is a balance. Don't want to pay for fluff, advertising, self aggrandizement and someone's buying junkets to Ecuador.

I truly admire and have a passion for the work of art known as the Monticristi Panama. As a musical artist I have a great deal of compassion for the financial dealing the weaver is faced with. Therefore while I am chasing the weave I expect that the weaver will be compensated.

I hope to receive some input on which Panama hat dealer my fellow posters would recommend.

PS If I had the $25,000 I spend it on a guitar, a hat and my own trip to Ecuador.

Neil

A-List Customer
Yes

I actually visited Optimo last month and looked at some of their Montecristis. Obviously lovely hats, and the work that has been done on them is perfect. They sure don't give them away, but the deal with Optimo seems to be that they offer great quality, great workmanship and instant availability for a steep price. For all those reasons, I bought one of their felt hats, and will likely buy a straw from them at some stage, too.
But you gotta dig down.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Panamanian "panama" hats???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the sort of thing I'm looking for isn't a Panama hat as most think of them, it's what folks wear in Panama, in the sticks at least......anyone know where I can find one of these?- I don't suppose they're widely exported, if at all... they're whitish straw with various black patterns- Manny Noriega was widely depicted wearing one when playing at being a regular guy. I just want one for nostalgia's sake. Plus they can get rained on. Anything you wear down there better be able to get rained on.

I just found a source for these hats. They're made of paja toquilla and the black is a similar plant, natural color. They aren't woven from top to bottom, but look to be sewn together braids. We'll see what they look like when I order some up next month.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
I just found a source for these hats. They're made of paja toquilla and the black is a similar plant, natural color. They aren't woven from top to bottom, but look to be sewn together braids. We'll see what they look like when I order some up next month.

I'll probably order one. Let us know when you get them.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:

I bought a Nicaraguan Panama block fedora from the Oxfam shop in Sydney and this was exactly how mine was made. It was in truth a little heavy to wear compared to yer normal actual Ecuadorian job.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
David...that's the beauty of it....Connery can make a beat up panama look good....
Now...the problem I have is that I sweat terribly in a panama...so I am on the hunt for a summer lid as well. Some of those Akubra poly's look good...as well as their straws....It's tough....or maybe even a really light weight felt with some of those teeny tiny holes punched in the side....[huh] :D

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
anian "panama" hats???
Although the sort of thing I'm looking for isn't a Panama hat as most think of them, it's what folks wear in Panama, in the sticks at least......anyone know where I can find one of these?- I don't suppose they're widely exported, if at all... they're whitish straw with various black patterns- Manny Noriega was widely depicted wearing one when playing at being a regular guy. I just want one for nostalgia's sake. Plus they can get rained on. Anything you wear down there better be able to get rained on.

I just got these Panamanian Panama Hats up. It certainly is paja toquilla that they are weaving with, but they don't treat it the same so it isn't as soft as in Ecuador. They are woven with entirely different weave patterns than those in Ecuador and the finer ones are braided and then sewn in a spiral. The softest hat was also the best one. It was a Cuenca, Ecuador weave with Panama stickers on it!

The Pintado Traditional Panamanian Hat

PanamaCity.jpg

Another

PanamaCity2.jpg

Mosquito

PanamaCity3.jpg

Rustic

PanamaCity4.jpg

Cuenca Panama

PanamaCity5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads