Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently got two hats off eBay for $30 each. I got them at the same time from the same seller. Both appear to be vintage and both are very dirty. Now that they have arrived I believe both are made by the same manufacture or even person. The crowns are identical. Age appears to be the same. Only the color is a bit different. The measurements are the same for brim and crown height.

Anybody want to weigh in on ages and opinion on makers etc???

The first is labeled Pilgrim.

IMG_4582.jpg IMG_4587.jpg IMG_4591.jpg IMG_4594.jpg IMG_4590.jpg IMG_4595.jpg

This is the second. It has nothing to identify the maker.

IMG_4599.jpg IMG_4604.jpg IMG_4612.jpg IMG_4608.jpg

RJR

I recently got two hats off eBay for $30 each. I got them at the same time from the same seller. Both appear to be vintage and both are very dirty. Now that they have arrived I believe both are made by the same manufacture or even person. The crowns are identical. Age appears to be the same. Only the color is a bit different. The measurements are the same for brim and crown height.

View attachment 123972 View attachment 123973 View attachment 123974 View attachment 123975 View attachment 123976 View attachment 123977

View attachment 123970 View attachment 123971 View attachment 123978 View attachment 123979
Nice,they should clean up well.

I have found when I put my Panama on my hat rack that the rack pushes a slight bulg in the crown. I'm guessing due to its flexibility. Has anyone tried to put anything on the back inside of their hat similar to the crown protection found on the inside front part of some hats?

Put a slit in a clean tennis ball with a sharp knife and put it over the hook. It will help.

View attachment 123972 View attachment 123973 View attachment 123974 View attachment 123975 View attachment 123976 View attachment 123977

View attachment 123970 View attachment 123971 View attachment 123978 View attachment 123979

Pilgrim was a Sears-Roebuck brand.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Especially if you don’t have a Brent Black.
It will be my first, Bill. I had already placed a bid for another before this one, so I might end up with two. Two BBs, one Optimo and one Las Palmas (Mexico) would be enough Panamas for me. I prefer felts, but good Panamas are beautiful.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I've had this hat for quite some time, but forgot to post it here. Not a fine woven panama by any standard, but the way it was woven give it character. The quite coarse straw gives it a nice airy texture. Sized m, brim at 6,5 cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. The brim is underwelted and was then bound with the brown ribbon. No bow, just a ribbon and keeper. The English Hatter is not English at all actually, but a hat and clothing shop in the centre of Amsterdam (Heiligeweg). It's been there a long time and are still in business today; worth taking a look at if you're in the neighbourhood.

english hatter_7.jpg
english hatter_1.jpg
english hatter_2.jpg
english hatter_3.jpg
english hatter_4.jpg
english hatter_5.jpg
english hatter_6.jpg

RJR

I've had this hat for quite some time, but forgot to post it here. Not a fine woven panama by any standard, but the way it was woven give it character. The quite coarse straw gives it a nice airy texture. Sized m, brim at 6,5 cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. The brim is underwelted and was then bound with the brown ribbon. No bow, just a ribbon and keeper. The English Hatter is not English at all actually, but a hat and clothing shop in the centre of Amsterdam (Heiligeweg). It's been there a long time and are still in business today; worth taking a look at if you're in the neighbourhood.

View attachment 125585 View attachment 125586 View attachment 125587 View attachment 125588 View attachment 125589 View attachment 125590 View attachment 125591
I really like the weave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana