Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Friends:

I just received from Panama Hats Direct my Montecristi Super Fino Plantation style with an extra wide brim. It is excellent. Beautifully made. Well blocked. Just the right amount of stiffener.

This is my second hat from Panama Hats Direct. I highly recommend them.

Mr. William Ramirez, one of the senior people at the company, was key to ensuring that the process from design to delivery was well done. He kept me in the loop throughout and was always pleasant and professional in addressing any question.

I have a Milan from Art and a Montecristi from Optimo, a vintage Dobbs Milan from regden1 on EBay, and a Cuenca panama from Delmonico. I appreciate each one. Living in Savannah, either a Panama or a Milan atop my noggin has become a near 10 months of the year experience.

Even my beast, aka Chugg, likes the newest addition.

View attachment 319136 View attachment 319137

I really like that a lot. I've often wanted to spring for a nicer one from PHD, but have never pulled the trigger.

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Dear Altiori,

Looks very nice! Congrats!

I was thinking of ordering a plantation hat from PHD. May I ask the brim length on yours? Thanks!

I’m sorry I only now saw your question. What follows are the specifics. I hope they help. I wear the thing almost every day. I love it.

PRICE
1 Montecristi Super Fino Plantation Panama Hat ($225.00)
  • Stock #: MC-8071 (MC-SF-F1-60-B4)
  • Size: 60
  • Brim: Standard Brim 7.00cm / 2.76in
  • Band: GroGrain Black Band (Stock #: 0117)

Lukacs

New in Town
I’m sorry I only now saw your question. What follows are the specifics. I hope they help. I wear the thing almost every day. I love it.

PRICE
1 Montecristi Super Fino Plantation Panama Hat ($225.00)
  • Stock #: MC-8071 (MC-SF-F1-60-B4)
  • Size: 60
  • Brim: Standard Brim 7.00cm / 2.76in
  • Band: GroGrain Black Band (Stock #: 0117)

Thank you! I just spoke with William at PHD today. I was thinking a Plantation crown with a slightly shorter brim. Maybe 2.5”. He suggested a Panama or Fedora crown because of the aesthetics of a shorter brim. After looking at your pics again, I’m thinking Plantation crown again. I know that these hats are machine blocked in Ecuador, unlike Northwest Hats. Still, I’m running out of time for a 3-4 month process. I asked about a snap brim in front and a the back turned up. William said that’s the way they ship and he can alter the brim any way that I’d like. He was very helpful, just like you said. I can’t tell by your pics. Are you happy with the way the brim arrived? Also, I noticed that you went with Super Fino. Do you recommend that grade over Fino? Sorry to ask so many questions. I want to get it right the first time. Thanks!!

Last edited:
I normally skip past all women’s hats no matter how nice. Lately, however, I bought two. This latest was bought on a whim and now I have no idea what I’m going to do with it. :)

3 1/2” brim and 4” crown:

5DC3C3C3-F019-4DB9-BA95-02BDD701701D.jpeg
52C74370-B2A5-4A54-8FBB-AEB3D2B8F567.jpeg
98C4A988-A672-4125-A08A-F9F7EA6D9828.jpeg
45CEDFE2-2D2F-4017-9AFF-9D9089C11C7C.jpeg
0FBD1CEF-7BF2-4859-BECE-6B9F0A17904E.jpeg
C3325144-9CAF-4D0F-AF79-FEC9B577D35A.jpeg
EBD59A94-7C53-483E-AD99-EDA7EC14091E.jpeg
C5165EBF-17FE-4125-A636-F39AA3DA9F89.jpeg
F5E305DD-BB92-4DD4-A3FE-6D9AFDE96815.jpeg

Pellie

One Too Many

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Thank you! I just spoke with William at PHD today. I was thinking a Plantation crown with a slightly shorter brim. Maybe 2.5”. He suggested a Panama or Fedora crown because of the aesthetics of a shorter brim. After looking at your pics again, I’m thinking Plantation crown again. I know that these hats are machine blocked in Ecuador, unlike Northwest Hats. Still, I’m running out of time for a 3-4 month process. I asked about a snap brim in front and a the back turned up. William said that’s the way they ship and he can alter the brim any way that I’d like. He was very helpful, just like you said. I can’t tell by your pics. Are you happy with the way the brim arrived? Also, I noticed that you went with Super Fino. Do you recommend that grade over Fino? Sorry to ask so many questions. I want to get it right the first time. Thanks!!

Yes. I think Super Fino, or above if you want to spend some extra, will hold the block better. No problem with the questions. I usually don’t check on every day so I may miss the exchanges.

Altiori

One of the Regulars
Yes. I think Super Fino, or above if you want to spend some extra, will hold the block better. No problem with the questions. I usually don’t check on every day so I may miss the exchanges.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I normally skip past all women’s hats no matter how nice. Lately, however, I bought two. This latest was bought on a whim and now I have no idea what I’m going to do with it. :)

3 1/2” brim and 4” crown:

View attachment 329406 View attachment 329407 View attachment 329408 View attachment 329409 View attachment 329410 View attachment 329411 View attachment 329412 View attachment 329413 View attachment 329414
Size 7? Just a little bigger and my wife would have looked after it for you!

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I've attempted to seek out tan colored panamas over the standard ivory/white panamas recently. There are some that I currently own, and some that I do not. Tan colored panamas are less commonly found, unless you shop JJ Hat Center or Brent Black. Here are some of them:

Kentucky Smith Safari Edition (Brent Black):

DSC_0519.JPG

Stetson Aficionado (With Replacement Band by Panamahatcollection.com):

DSC_0471.JPG

The Capri (JJ Hat Center) (Reshaped to Teardrop):

DSC_0470.JPG

Here's a non-panama straw:
Lock & Co. Classic Boater:

DSC_0514.JPG

And here are some that I do not own, but may consider. These hats were featured in NBC's The Blacklist:

The Graham Deluxe (JJ Hat Center): I am almost certain that this is the hat. You do not see the distinctive bubble crown shape very often. Usually, it is either a center crease or a teardrop. This crown shape is both.

TheGrahamDeluxe.png

The Claudio (Tesi/JJ Hat Center): This hat is also known as the Tesi Comet Sisol. The stock image shown is not the actual color in the episode image provided. Since this hat was discontinued last year, images are scarce.

TheClaudio.png

While Spader's fur felt hats were generally provided by Borsalino or Penman, his panamas seemed to be sourced almost exclusively from JJ Hat Center. There were a few exceptions that I cannot quantify.

Do you prefer an alternate color panama hat?

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I'm on JJ Hat Center's mailing list, so I recently received notification regarding the return of Borsalino hats. This one is a Montecristi fino center crease for $1500. One characteristic of JJ Hat Center's listings for straw hats is that they are inconsistent in listing panama hat qualities. When they do, they list in grades (Grade 3, Grade 8, Grade 20, etc.) which could refer to a variety of qualities.

Surprisingly, this Montecristi fino does not have any quality metric listed. Since Brent Black charges $1350-1450 for a 24 WPI fino, and you can choose the crown shape/blocking type, JJ Hat Center would have to beat those specs. Anyway, here is the listing:

JJHatCenterMontecristi.png

https://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/the-montecristi

Last edited:
I'm on JJ Hat Center's mailing list, so I recently received notification regarding the return of Borsalino hats. This one is a Montecristi fino center crease for $1500. One characteristic of JJ Hat Center's listings for straw hats is that they are inconsistent in listing panama hat qualities. When they do, they list in grades (Grade 3, Grade 8, Grade 20, etc.) which could refer to a variety of qualities.

Surprisingly, this Montecristi fino does not have any quality metric listed. Since Brent Black charges $1350-1450 for a 24 WPI fino, and you can choose the crown shape/blocking type, JJ Hat Center would have to beat those specs. Anyway, here is the listing:

JJHatCenterMontecristi.png

https://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/the-montecristi
My first thought is: how much are you paying for the Borsalino branded bow keeper?

Lukacs

New in Town
PHD - Hat Pulled sans info.jpg View attachment 331863 View attachment 331862 View attachment 331862

Thanks again for your advice. I pulled the trigger on a Super Fino from PHD today. They had a few that matched what I wanted - Havana style crown and 2.5" brim, and I selected two. William pulled both hats and clearly recommended one over the other. He sent me pictures, so I could see the difference, and he was correct. PHD has to shape the brim and add the hatband, sweatband and liner. Here's a picture of the hat when the pulled it from their inventory. I have to say that their customer service is outstanding thus far.

Last edited:

Lukacs

New in Town
View attachment 331864 View attachment 331863 View attachment 331862 View attachment 331862

Gents,

I wanted to follow up my post to show the end product. I am very pleased with this Super Fino from Panama Hats Direct. Again, William is very helpful and delivers quality customer service. He helped select the best hat in stock that matched what I was seeking and helped me made the "snap" deeper on the brim. Everything else was wonderful. I will absolutely do business with PHD again. If anyone has any questions on working with PHD, please PM me.

Also, I purchased palm leaf cowboy hat from Sunbody hats last summer. It has a 6" Gus crown and a 5" brim with a ribbon bound brim. I added a horsehair hatband from Knotatail on Etsy. If you have any questions about ordering from Sunbody, also please PM me.

Thank you all for your support and advice!

Have a great summer!

Lukacs

Attachments

• Super Fino Panama Hat.jpg
    Super Fino Panama Hat.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Panama Hat Close.jpg
    Panama Hat Close.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 208
  • Panama Hat 1.jpg
    Panama Hat 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 456

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
View attachment 331864 View attachment 331863 View attachment 331862 View attachment 331862

Thanks again for your advice. I pulled the trigger on a Super Fino from PHD today. They had a few that matched what I wanted - Havana style crown and 2.5" brim, and I selected two. William pulled both hats and clearly recommended one over the other. He sent me pictures, so I could see the difference, and he was correct. PHD has to shape the brim and add the hatband, sweatband and liner. Here's a picture of the hat when the pulled it from their inventory. I have to say that their customer service is outstanding thus far.

Just curious, what is the WPI on your PHD Super Fino?

Lukacs

New in Town
Just curious, what is the WPI on your PHD Super Fino?
I thought someone may ask. Here are two pics - horizontal and vertical.

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure if we count both or just horizontally.

My vision is getting foggy, so I tried to count it from this picture. I think it's 19 weaves horizontally, but please let me know if I'm counting wrong.

Also, I'm not sure what all I'm counting vertically, so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Horizontal Count - Landscape.jpg
    Horizontal Count - Landscape.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 534
  • Vertical Count.jpg
    Vertical Count.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 474

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I thought someone may ask. Here are two pics - horizontal and vertical.

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure if we count both or just horizontally.

My vision is getting foggy, so I tried to count it from this picture. I think it's 19 weaves horizontally, but please let me know if I'm counting wrong.

Also, I'm not sure what all I'm counting vertically, so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

From my view, it seems that your hat has a WPI of 19 horizontal by 18 vertical for a WPSI of 342. If anyone sees differently, let me know. Your weave is also wavy horizontally, which means that your WPSI may vary based on measured location. I would say that any WPI above 10 would make a great hat. I currently have a 15 WPI panama, and a 22 WPI Montecristi Fino, so I can say that even the 15 WPI hat beats out any name-brand Cuenca-weave hat. Just make sure your brim doesn't go out of shape. I had to "block" the brim of my Montecristi manually, since it arrived flat. The repeated stiffenings left some discoloration on the brim that cannot be easily removed.

Lukacs

New in Town
From my view, it seems that your hat has a WPI of 19 horizontal by 18 vertical for a WPSI of 342. If anyone sees differently, let me know. Your weave is also wavy horizontally, which means that your WPSI may vary based on measured location. I would say that any WPI above 10 would make a great hat. I currently have a 15 WPI panama, and a 22 WPI Montecristi Fino, so I can say that even the 15 WPI hat beats out any name-brand Cuenca-weave hat. Just make sure your brim doesn't go out of shape. I had to "block" the brim of my Montecristi manually, since it arrived flat. The repeated stiffenings left some discoloration on the brim that cannot be easily removed.

Thank you! PHD states that their Super Fino hats range from 230 - 399 WPI with an average of 330 WPI. (I think they mean WPSI). Therefore, this hat fits into that range.

Yes. I want to care for the brim properly. The back end of the brim was turned up nicely. The front was a little flat, partly because of the room in the shipping box. William suggested that I spray the front and hang it off a table until dry with a little weight to add to the depth of the snap. I used an ironing board. It worked... maybe too well, but I can always flatten it, if needed. William also told me that if it flattens, I can call him for a homemade stiffener recipe. We used no stiffener on the first attempt. I was very careful when attaching the weight and didn't let it there long. Also, the ribbon got wet with the spray. I noticed it and dried it quickly.

I want to keep it on a hat stand, possibly like the attached picture when I'm wearing it during the warm months and in a hat box for the winter. I'm thinking it'll keep the brim in good shape. I know there are entire threads on this subject. Any quick thoughts?

Attachments

• Hat Stand.jpg
    Hat Stand.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 473

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points