Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure @Bill Hughes has several examples of Northwest Panama's.

This is an important point, and one that William Ramirez mentioned to me, when I purchased my first hat from PHD. It was what they call a Super Fino. (Reading Brent Black's information will teach you that terminology about hat grades varies between retailers and is subjective, rather than objective.) I wanted to get the highest grade that I could afford. However, William asked me how I was going to use it, because often, wearers will find their hat is so nice, they don't want to wear it. Also, weather is a factor, because you don't want to get it wet. When dark clouds appear on the horizon, my Super Fino comes off. William told me that he knew of a customer who ordered one of their FIno Fino hats (top of their line) and took it on a cruise. He watched it sail off his head and into the ocean on that cruise. It's sound advice to consider how you want to use your hat when thinking about your purchase.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hesitate to show this - but I have five montecristi semi-calado bodies just waiting to be finished out. I have them all commissioned ie they are mine! I’ve been working on ideas for crown and brim shapes. Also been getting some interesting ribbons. All the work will be performed by Mike Miller at Northwest Hats. I’m going to have a fantastic hat summer.

DE16BEF4-623D-4020-B076-888F21A03F02.jpeg
CA1D2AD2-D162-42B0-8E06-4CF80E698523.jpeg

I hesitate to show this - but I have five montecristi semi-calado bodies just waiting to be finished out. I have them all commissioned ie they are mine! I’ve been working on ideas for crown and brim shapes. Also been getting some interesting ribbons. All the work will be performed by Mike Miller at Northwest Hats. I’m going to have a fantastic hat summer.

View attachment 495431 View attachment 495432
Is it OK to covet thy neighbours hat(s)?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Wow. That set of hats secures your place as Hat Royalty, Bill. Fantastic!

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here is the first of the five Montecristi hats. These pics are from Mike Miller (Northwest Hats). I'll take more detailed pics when it arrives.

20230313_130242.jpeg
20230313_130213.jpeg
20230313_130226.jpeg

glider

A-List Customer
N
Is it a good material?
Not particularly, it may not actually be straw. It's a manufactured material. There are different types of weaves and straw, research it. Even just a Panama can get complicated, they are rated by strands per inch and are priced from 50 bucks to several thousand dollars. Actually, I'm not sure you could find one for 50 bucks, but you get the picture.

Prydonian

New in Town
Glad to find a dedicated Panamas thread! I have some mysteries I’m trying to solve; perhaps someone will have the answers…

I’ve been trying for years to replace a hat I got in the UK in the 80s. It wore out long ago, but I have plenty of photos of another hat from the same hatter/block. It’s an Optimo from Lock & Co, not all that fine, MC 200, Cuenca weave. The big problem I’ve come across trying to find a modern match has always been the brim. As far as I can tell, right about the turn of the 21st century the brims of Optimos changed. Prior to that it looks like they had a steeper downward angle, resulting in a deep bowl at the back when snapped up. That’s how mine was, and I see it in almost every photo and catalog right up to the late 90s, at which point they suddenly started featuring really shallow snaps, which remains the style to this day. I finally gave up finding one like mine off the rack and asked a hatter to shape one by hand. It’s on its way to me now, so I don’t know yet if it came out as intended.

With all that in mind, my first question is this: how and why did the style change? Is it just in the blocking/shaping or is there some difference in how they’re being woven? Or is it just a matter of stiffness? Which brings me to my second question…

Those older hats seem to have been pretty stiff right from the shop. I know mine was, but everything I find now is as floppy as a dishrag. Great for rolling, but a pain to take off. Why the change? Did shops formerly treat them with stiffener prior to selling?

Assuming it’s just a question of using stiffener, is it possible to stiffen a modern hat to the same degree with the non-yellowing stiffeners that are on the market? I gather shellac-based formulas will yellow the straw. Has anyone tried the Paul Lashton stuff?

Arright, I think that’s all the questions. Bestow upon me your wisdom, gents, I beg of you.

ETA: Hey, I’m not New In Town. I’ve been lurking for years.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Looking for opinions. Here you can see my last Summer new Doria Navy Blue Panama porkpie.
IMG_20230322_123730.jpg

As you can see, it was Blue. And it was so comfortable and a vrisa weave so it was very cool. I wore it everywhere.

Well it changed colours. I guess the sun bleached it. What colour is it now? More purple?
IMG_20230322_114614.jpg
IMG_20230322_114032.jpg

And sometimes in very bright light...
IMG_20230322_111539.jpg

IMG_20230322_111436.jpg

So what colour is it? And is it still wearable anywhere? Or has it gotten purple enough to only where to the beach, golf course or a Batman costume party? Lol!!

It's still so comfortable and cool ..I've even thought of finding a way to color it or maybe just learning to like it like this....I think it's a great color for my wife, but way, way to big for her.
Does this color work for a guy for intown wearing?

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_143004.jpg
    IMG_20230322_143004.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Looking for opinions. Here you can see my last Summer new Doria Navy Blue Panama porkpie.
View attachment 500414
As you can see, it was Blue. And it was so comfortable and a vrisa weave so it was very cool. I wore it everywhere.

Well it changed colours. I guess the sun bleached it. What colour is it now? More purple?
View attachment 500416 View attachment 500417
And sometimes in very bright light...
View attachment 500418
View attachment 500419

So what colour is it? And is it still wearable anywhere? Or has it gotten purple enough to only where to the beach, golf course or a Batman costume party? Lol!!

It's still so comfortable and cool ..I've even thought of finding a way to color it or maybe just learning to like it like this....I think it's a great color for my wife, but way, way to big for her.
Does this color work for a guy for intown wearing?
I think you will find that the default position most prevalent in the Lounge is: "when in doubt, buy another one!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto