Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Nice! But confused...did you buy it used, and therefore that`s the way the brim came in as shown in the first photo!? But Optimo have done a fine job indeed...perfect lines:eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
daizawaguy said:
Nice! But confused...did you buy it used, and therefore that`s the way the brim came in as shown in the first photo!? But Optimo have done a fine job indeed...perfect lines:eusa_clap

Yes, I bought it used,supposedly 4-5 years old and hand reblocked into (dare I say it?)an Indiana Jones style crown.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Really nice hat, RLK. Not necessarily the finest weave, but the consistancy and color are wonderful. A true find.

Hatguy

New in Town
Brim thing

Those side brim distortions are exactly whats going on with me & my first panama (a panama hats direct "fino fino") drivin my nuts, I'll give HPG's method a shot, thanks,

(yes it is a mirror image, good eye. I changed out bands. but when i got it, it was on the right)
yep its my head stretching it oval and puckering it up

WineGuy

A-List Customer
If all else fails...re-block it

Hi HatGuy,

I'm curious to know if you have the same success as Gene. My Montecristi goes wavy all over the place and steaming and hand flanging has not helped. I'm shipping it to Art Fawcett for re-blocking next week. You probably have the same situation as me, a long oval head shape that is torqing the hat.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
art200908.jpg

art200902.jpg

Beautiful hat-works.:eusa_clap
Is this the Classic block?

Tom

An old post but spent most of the day drooling on this one....

Dreispitz

One Too Many
FurFeltFedora said:
Wow Dreispitz that is nice. What grade would that be from Bob? A fino?

Museum Quality Fino. I stopped counting weaves at around 18 X18 for this counting busines is a tidious job :D lol :D

Reactions: DRB

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That hat was blocked by Gary White. He does a lot of manipulating, hand work, and you can see the difference between that and other hatters. I tend to like smoother curves, but what do I know?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
That hat was blocked by Gary White. He does a lot of manipulating, hand work, and you can see the difference between that and other hatters. I tend to like smoother curves, but what do I know?

The hat looks and feals like creased by hand like an open crown one, rather than blocked and pressed. It appears very natural in it´s shape and with a human touch, very well keeping - if not enhancing - the concept of the hand woven body.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I posted this in the new hats thread but it really belongs here. Not an expensive one but whatever he did it beats the long oval curse!:D

After Gene fixed the brim on my only panama, I decided to take a chance on what I have always wanted but thought unwearable on my head. An optimo crown panama. I contacted Bob who responded quickly, he did not have anything in my size but still managed to make or locate one. It is just an inexpensive one but I really like it! I have done nothing to the brim because it has a snap brim feel to it.

I don't know if he had a little stiffener put in or what but this is the way to go for us extra long ovals. :D

I like this one enough that I am thinking of getting another just like it but with a different color ribbon!:D

Panama Bob's pics.

op5.jpg

op3.jpg

op4.jpg

GEDC0801-1.jpg

GEDC0802-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic