Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Alanfgag, where did you find that? What a great looking hat! I used to be apprehensive about that center crease, but you give me hope that it might look fine.

Hi Randooch,

Just a normal ebay item that came up with a keyword search for >Charlie Chan<. It does seem that I've found very few fine weave panamas in the time I've been looking.

I had similar concerns on the Optimo style. But as with most hats I've tried, if it feels good, I can make it work on some level.
From the way you wear that modified homburg hat in your avatar, I think the center crease panama will pose no problem. 8^)

best,
Alan

Reactions: DRB

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Here's my $9.99 (plus shipping) "teardrop" special from Panama Bob. I decided to get my feet wet with this "panama" style hat, and think it's pretty sweet. I didn't have much information, but believe it's from the Cuenca region. It doesn't appear bleached as the straw is a natural looking beige/tan color. The band is black. I just need to shape the brim a bit with some steam, and I'm good to go. The 7 3/8 size is right on the money and it fits perfect!

Anyone else pick up one of these? I definitely plan on upgrading in the future, but this is a nice start.

-Todd

Great hat Hottoddy ... especially for $9!!!! I have a bargain hat from PB that I use for gardening and fishing ... People always ask why I wear such a nice hat to work in the yard ... I don't tell them that it cost less then the ball cap they are wearing (yuck!) and I don't have to worry about burning my ears off :)!!! I have an exquisite Monti from PB that cost me 100+shipping!!!! I haven't been able to find anything for less then $300 that is in the same class ... you can't beat PB for price/quality!

The only thing I don't like about my bargain hat is that the brim won't hold its shape like my tighter weave hat will ... I would like to add a little stiffener to it as after fishing all day it looks like its been run over by a truck!! Any suggestion on what to use to help it keep its shape???

thanks
Kk

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Looks Great!!! Wear it with joy K! I've relegated my stained hat to "knock around" status and just put PB on notice that he has to come up with another killer hat for me on par or better.

Just remember these words of wisdom...never change the ink in your fountain pen within 50 feet of your Panama.

I will take that advise to heart!!!!! I now cringe when using any type of writhing instrument while I am wearing my hat :)! Thanks for letting me steal your idea!!! Good luck on your new one .... are you going to keep the same ribbon treatment or go with something totally new????? Can't wait to see it!

Kk

Florida Straw

I'm headed to Big Pine Key later this week for the Winter Star Party... a week under the Florida sun and clear warm nights. I spent some time tonight sprucing up a couple of recent ebay purchases - both Dobbs straws that have seen some use. The Milan was pretty rumpled and had a nasty fabric band. Underneath was an open weave ventilation... no time to find a replacement band so I left it open. Kinda like it that way. The Panama's ribbon was sweat stained and had dry rot, but I managed to wash it and get it back on. Will have to look for the right doodad to wear over the little tear. They should be just about right for a rustic week on the beach.

florida_straw2.jpg

florida_straw1.jpg

milan1.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Both look great. It seems a shame to ever cover the pretty ventilation, but a little color is always nice.

DRB

One Too Many
I agree, both look great Alan.

Hey Lefty, you're freaking me out with that maniacal cat avatar.:eeek:

Both look great. It seems a shame to ever cover the pretty ventilation, but a little color is always nice.

Thanks Left and Dennis - they're both very comfortable and not too precious to sweat up a little. Nice thing about the exposed ventilation is being able to read the making labels without turning the sweatband out. Looking forward to the road trip... will share some pictures when I get back.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Two new $9.99 Panamas from Panama Bob.
The white one is a Cuencano cuenca and the black one is a caballero.
[
IMG_4525s.jpg

IMG_4526s.jpg

I like that white one on you. As a matter of fact, I had ordered the white Cuencano and Caballero styles and liked the Cuencana one so much I ordered a natural in the same style. Even my wife likes it!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The cuencano and caballero appear to have been made by different people as the tags inside are different. The cuencano appears to be higher quality to me. The caballero's brim is shorter in front then on the sides and back which seemed a bit odd. The cuencano really has nothing I can complain about and just feels better made. I can't complain about either really though at the price they cost.

Gromulus

Practically Family
The cuencano and caballero appear to have been made by different people as the tags inside are different. The cuencano appears to be higher quality to me. The caballero's brim is shorter in front then on the sides and back which seemed a bit odd. The cuencano really has nothing I can complain about and just feels better made. I can't complain about either really though at the price they cost.

My impressions as well. Of course the price is now a whopping $13.99!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

It's the finishing done by the hat company. The Caballero is a better woven hat and the finish just isn't as nice as the Cuencano. The difference between the two compnies varies from each of their hats, but the company doing the Cuencano just doesn't have the Caballero plates for their blocking machines.

DRB

One Too Many
Alan: you are assembling an outstanding collection. I look forward to the day when we can see the entire lot.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
ebay twofer hat

002hr.jpg

as received...round as a ball, brim a total wreck. Sent it off to Tom-n-Perris.

001ov.jpg

re-blocked as I requested, with stiffener added to brim. I could not be happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24