Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

email68

One of the Regulars
Back from Art!

Here is the before picture again.

IMG_0098.jpg

And now the new...

0ed6afbe.jpg

6dc690c6.jpg

17b85063.jpg

Reactions: DRB

fmw

One Too Many
I agree. The "after" shot shows a completely different and better hat. Yours is the first straw I've seen with a wind cord.

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I think Art did a great job.

I specifically asked for the wind cord as its very windy in my area. Hope I didn't break any straw hat rules :)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to everyone for the kind compliments on the Optimo. I kept returning to this body over others with slightly higher weave counts. Opted for the simpler mid-narrow red ribbon to compliment the warm golden tone and not distract too much from the beauty of the weave.

Reactions: DRB

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Bringing back to life a 70s ventilated Montecristi...

Got this among several hats my wife's grandfather is giving me from his own wardrobe. It's gorgeous and its golden patina is just amazing. The weave count on this beauty is around 28X30. Hope you enjoy this step by step show.

This is how Grandpa had it, in a box, rolled up and never worn. He says he got it as a gift but never got around to have it blocked, etc.

IMG_1134.jpg

First, off it went into the open crown block to get rid of folds and creases. Working on this was like working with cloth!

IMG_1131.jpg

Then a little work with the tollicker (now you know why I wanted one!) to define crown from brim. Made this a 2 1/2.

IMG_1132.jpg

Sewing the leather sweatband.

IMG_1137.jpg

Back to the block, this time the teardrop one.

IMG_1136.jpg

And to the flange...

IMG_1138.jpg

I believe it turned out well, don't you think?

55.jpg

56.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Wow! Where's the "drool" emoticon? :) That is just awesome. And BTW, that makes two Panama's in the last few days appearing here with a wind trolley. I wonder if a trend is being set? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou