Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
DSC_5412.jpg

Reactions: DRB

DRB

One Too Many
My first Panama Bob hat arrived yesterday. One of his $39.95 specials. Good quality and great value. The weave is more consistent than with other inexpensive panamas I have. Thanks, Bob.

optimopanama.jpg

I can see why you are smiling, you got a great deal on a respectable hat. I may have to take another look at Panama Bob. I love white hats. That one looks very comfortable.

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
I have a care question to do with reshaping a Panama that has been user-cleaned.

I have just washed my gardening Panama (PB Cuenca Fino Brisa bashed to Rio Plata style) with the standard black cloth sweatband that was looking rather grubby after last season in the sun and garden and I have made a bit of a mess reshaping it.

I removed the original fixed ribbon (and am now using a standard navy 2-hook pug), hand-washed it in very mild soap as directed on PB's site, got it to remember the location of where the top was folded down and let it dry. When I put it on my hat jack to get the size back, that is where I ran into my problem... I now have a "shoulder" in the sides all round just above where the hat jack was. The hat is perfectly straight under the band but as soon as the sides rise, they dish in in a concave fashion till they reach the top crease. I also did not have much luck getting the bump on the very top to pop out correctly. I would love to know how a user can tackle re-blocking of this grade of Panama in a more pleasing fashion.

Do I need a block? If so I am a 7 5/8 long oval. Do I need to stuff the crown with something while it dries? If so, how do I get the top crease in the correct place afterwards? Do I need some better way of generating steam than a domestic iron?

If you want me to break this discussion out into a separate thread, just let me know.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If it's just a brim problem, you could try this.

Your issues with the crown will require either a lot of trial and error for shaping, a block, or taking the hat to a hatter for blocking.

Last edited:

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
Thanks for the link to that site - some interesting background on Panamas and the retail hype there. I am just glad this is my gardening hat - it looks odd now but at least it is clean.

Marcovgv

New in Town
OK. So while in the Bahamas (wearing my Rio Plata) I get caught on the island in a nasty rain. My Rio Plata is drenched. I get back to the cruise ship cabin, shape the hat to the best of my beginner ability, and hope for the best. Here is how it dried.
9ac1cd0d.jpg

It's not too bad but definitely is less "formal" looking in my opinion.
27211a5e.jpg

It shrunk a bit, but was a little loose before and now it is softer and fits like a glove. One concern I have is that the brim is softer and may start to droop.
297e0a6b.jpg

I still love this hat. It performed very well on it's first international trip and I received alot of compliments.

what size brim is that rio plata? it looks like exactly what im looking for!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
oh and can we get a mug shot with the hat on . i am in the process of buying some hats from bob but i would like to see what diff brim sizes look like

I have it on the what are you wearing today a few days ago...page 3349.

Nice one Rodkins! Suits you well.

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday I found a 7 1/8+ 1940's Optimo-style wide-brim Panama, probably about 250 wpi, nice colorful pug, cheap at a vintage clothing store. The sweatband (no labels) was coming off, but in okay shape, and the straw's supple and clean with no issues. I hate to put anyone in touch with the place, as it's kind of a secret 'fishing hole' for me, but if anyone's interested I'll take pics and maybe we can work out a trade. I'm 7 1/4

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
Another quick question about re-blocking my PB Cuenca Fino Brisa... I will be ordering a hat block from a local maker but how essential is the "tipper" or "creaser" which matches the top of the block and is used to push the crown down into the block while it is still soft from the steam? I was wondering if a home-made solution such as a cotton bag filled with rice and a weight on the top would be sufficient or whether I really should pay the extra for a matching tipper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran