Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Another quick question about re-blocking my PB Cuenca Fino Brisa... I will be ordering a hat block from a local maker but how essential is the "tipper" or "creaser" which matches the top of the block and is used to push the crown down into the block while it is still soft from the steam? I was wondering if a home-made solution such as a cotton bag filled with rice and a weight on the top would be sufficient or whether I really should pay the extra for a matching tipper?

It'd say the tipper really helps but it's not vital. You can use your hands to shape the straw to the block. The rice bag, in my opinion, wouldn't work...

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Another quick question about re-blocking my PB Cuenca Fino Brisa... I will be ordering a hat block from a local maker but how essential is the "tipper" or "creaser" which matches the top of the block and is used to push the crown down into the block while it is still soft from the steam? I was wondering if a home-made solution such as a cotton bag filled with rice and a weight on the top would be sufficient or whether I really should pay the extra for a matching tipper?

I've seen the rice bag technique in Ecuador. From Microwave to the top of the hat. :)

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
I guess if what you have is a rice bag, then you use a rice bag - nice tip on heating it like a neckpad in the microwave though. As it happens I have ordered a wooden brim and crown block plus matching tipper (made in resin) from a UK millinery supplier. It is more expensive than the Cuenca was but means I can clean the hat at the end of each season and have it looking sharp again. I'll post pics once I have re-blocked the Cuenca.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I just use a portable steamer to adjust hats both Panama and Fur felt.

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Gs1-Portable-Fabric-Steamer/dp/B002XH0KLM/ref=pd_sbs_hg_2
31U%2B3PyurcL._SS500_.jpg

Does a great job and is simple to use.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
No problems at all on mine the top comes off an I just put it under the sink faucet to fill. Holds enough water to work with a hat for a half an hour. Which is enough for me.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Panama, '40s-'50s

We have had two consecutive days of gorgeous, sunny weather here in Minnesota, with incredibly blue skies, puffy white clouds, and high temps in the 60s, so I felt it was time to take out the straws.

Old Panama which came out of Hastings, Minnesota. Size 7-1/2, and a perfect fit. Exceptional condition but no hat company identifying logos on the sweatband. Possibly originally attached chin-cord, which appears to be a color-matched old shoelace!

Crown: 4-1/2".
Ribbon: 1-1/2".
Brim: 3".
Sweatband: 1-3/4".

Last edited:
Reactions: DRB
Old Panama which came out of Hastings, Minnesota. Size 7-1/2, and a perfect fit. Exceptional condition but no hat company identifying logos on the sweatband. Possibly originally attached chin-cord, which appears to be a color-matched old shoelace!

Lovely character to that weave... accentuated in your excellent photographs!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
I appreciate your kind words, Alan. There is something about the patination of vintage straw that is hard to resist, as you well know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran