Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Txmason

Familiar Face
Panama Hat
I just received a beautiful Panama Hat from Robert over at www.panamas.biz Does anyone know if a panama hat can be shaped and stiffened in the style of a Fedora? Or are panamas made to stay natural without doing anything to them?

Happy Trails,
Jerry

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Panama Hat
I just received a beautiful Panama Hat from Robert over at www.panamas.biz Does anyone know if a panama hat can be shaped and stiffened in the style of a Fedora? Or are panamas made to stay natural without doing anything to them?

Happy Trails,
Jerry

The hat is shaped, so I think you're asking about reshaping the brim. You can do this yourself by ironing the brim and molding it with your hands. Keep the iron cool. Sometimes, you can do it with steam, but keep the steam away from the inside of the crown. There is a little bit of sizing in the hat from the factory in Cuenca. Alternatively, you can take it to a hatter and he can put stiffener on the hat and flange the brim. The particular hat you have just doesn't come up from Ecuador with that snap-brim that you want. You could look for a hat store in Houston that should be able to do this. It might cost about what the hat cost.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Exquisite!

That beaut' puts me in mind of my favorite panama-this old Stetson Monti
NewStrawOR.jpg

Or this 'un that went (I think) to RBH sometime back

HAT21.jpg

The 28x28 / 800wpsi (lower right) with my other VS Panamas: 24x24 / 600wpsi (upper left), 33x38 / 1250wpsi (lower left), and another 28x28 / 800wpsi (upper right).
As you may be able to see in the full resolution image (link below), weave count isn't everything. Evenness/ consistency of weave is a big factor. The 28x28 in the upper right looks finer than its weave count, more like a 900wpsi; the new acquisition looks closer to a 700 or 600wpsi. By the way, Art very decently sold it as a 600wpsi. :)

P1080351.jpg

Full resolution image

P1080330.jpg

P1080325.jpg

P1080309.jpg

P1080286.jpg

P1080283.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Montecristi Collection

- cross posted from the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame -

This seems to belong here as well.

The actual straw color of the individual Panama hats is rendered fairly accurately overall, with the limitation that the lighting is a little uneven (sunny afternoon, shot during moments of faint cloud cover). See the full resolution images for a better view of the weave.

Upper left 33x38, upper right 28x28, lower left 28x28 reddish straw (the new one), lower right 24x24.

VS-MontecristiPanamas_collage_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

33x38:

VS-Montecristi_33x38_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

28x28:

VS-Montecristi_28x28_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

28x28 reddish straw:

VS-Montecristi_28x28_reddish-straw_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

24x24:

VS-Montecristi_24x24_lowres.jpg

Full resolution image

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Photoon8-8-12at609PM.jpg

f85468d1.jpg

fef8dd37.jpg

aabe84a3.jpg

d160b908.jpg

342745e5.jpg

Won this on ebay a little over a month ago. I've been waiting patiently to replace my beautiful PB Montecristi that got severely stained by fountain pen ink almost 2 years ago. I'm thrilled to own a Gus Miller hat..always wanted to commission a felt Fedora from him but this beauty will do. The weave is very tight and symmetrical, I'm getting a WPI of 29x28 on the brim and 35x36 on the crown. The blocking is top notch and the hat is holding a really nice shape without the need for stiffeners. I've learned my lesson and this one has become my "wear it when I'm not going to sweat" hat and my cleaned up PB, which cleaned up nicely but still shows some staining, has become my day to day work hat. The fit was like it was made to order.

like2fiddle

New in Town
Came across this today

Hello to all. I'm new around here and wanted to show you a few pics of a hat I purchased at a local used clothing store today. The sweat band is out of it so I am hoping some of you can help me figure out exactly what I've got. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Photoon8-8-12at609PM.jpg

f85468d1.jpg

fef8dd37.jpg

aabe84a3.jpg

d160b908.jpg

342745e5.jpg

Won this on ebay a little over a month ago. I've been waiting patiently to replace my beautiful PB Montecristi that got severely stained by fountain pen ink almost 2 years ago. I'm thrilled to own a Gus Miller hat..always wanted to commission a felt Fedora from him but this beauty will do. The weave is very tight and symmetrical, I'm getting a WPI of 29x28 on the brim and 35x36 on the crown. The blocking is top notch and the hat is holding a really nice shape without the need for stiffeners. I've learned my lesson and this one has become my "wear it when I'm not going to sweat" hat and my cleaned up PB, which cleaned up nicely but still shows some staining, has become my day to day work hat. The fit was like it was made to order.

Looks great! How many vueltas are in that hat?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hey Robert, since you brought up the subject - I've been wanting to ask this for some time now - how do you count the vueltas that are very close to the crown center? Or do you just leave out the vueltas at the center section when counting?
See the pic below to illustrate the problem.

VS Montecristi 33x38:

P1060910-1.jpg

Full resolution image

Last edited:

gdc

One of the Regulars
Some beautiful lids here! Maybe I'll have one in the future but I've been enjoying my $2 thrift store cuenca. A local dry cleaner/hatter blocked it for my melon head and gave it a leather sweat and dark navy ribbon. It's helped me get through the hot summer.
IMG_20120810_134936.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_20120810_140329.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_20120810_140354.jpg
[/IMG]

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Hey Robert, since you brought up the subject - I've been wanting to ask this for some time now - how do you count the vueltas that are very close to the crown center? Or do you just leave out the vueltas at the center section when counting?
See the pic below to illustrate the problem.

VS Montecristi 33x38:

P1060910-1.jpg

Full resolution image

I use a loupe and sometimes have to fudge it a little.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The other work Optimo performed for me while I was there early July. This semi calado is very special to me, it formerly belonged to my good friend Aureliano here on the Lounge, who had inherited it from his grandfather. The body dates to the 1970's and I had Optimo perform a full ground-up renovation. It's been blocked in their Fastback style, a 40's French block and flange.

120cea2c.jpg

ebc3f56a.jpg

cea566a4.jpg

2652983c.jpg

98f8dfe3.jpg

0c987dfc.jpg

fdcb2540.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great Hat with great provenance

The other work Optimo performed for me while I was there early July. This semi calado is very special to me, it formerly belonged to my good friend Aureliano here on the Lounge, who had inherited it from his grandfather. The body dates to the 1970's and I had Optimo perform a full ground-up renovation. It's been blocked in their Fastback style, a 40's French block and flange.

120cea2c.jpg

ebc3f56a.jpg

cea566a4.jpg

2652983c.jpg

98f8dfe3.jpg

0c987dfc.jpg

fdcb2540.jpg

Just that. Great hat Great provenance. Congratulations to all

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members