Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First time wearing this Carlton Club loose weave straw. It arrived crumpled but was easily rectified with steam. It needs a cleaning but overall pretty nice. The open weave on the brim put me off a bit. The sun shines right through. I may end up putting this in the classifieds. I’ll have to give it a couple of wears to see if it’s a keeper.

F6B35623-A30D-4A78-BCA2-5C90745D8B75.jpeg
99B32216-4C3D-4ED6-B59A-F7BF1DCBA236.jpeg
6977224F-798C-423D-9A56-F2B8B4C47B2A.jpeg
95C09735-CFD6-48A4-A5F3-5B48125799A8.jpeg DF88B405-EE84-4E45-96DB-7B126F75000B.jpeg

Tukwila

First time wearing this Carlton Club loose weave straw. It arrived crumpled but was easily rectified with steam. It needs a cleaning but overall pretty nice. The open weave on the brim put me off a bit. The sun shines right through. I may end up putting this in the classifieds. I’ll have to give it a couple of wears to see if it’s a keeper.

View attachment 181298 View attachment 181297 View attachment 181299 View attachment 181300 View attachment 181301
It's a real nice straw, Bill. I wonder if you could line the bottom side of the brim with cloth like some of the older vintage hats we've seen... or if it would be worth it to attempt such a thing.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Modern Stetson Panama "Jenkins".
The fabric sweatband is comfortable for wearing, but I'd like the hat even more if it were leather;
just seems to give a hat more class.

View attachment 183311 View attachment 183309 View attachment 183310 View attachment 183308 View attachment 183312 View attachment 183313 View attachment 183314 View attachment 183315 View attachment 183316 View attachment 183317
Really nice modern Stetson straw, Georg. I think though, straws have a fabric sweatband just because they're cooler to wear in the hot months of summer. A leather sweat would just make one sweat. They would me at least.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
I think though, straws have a fabric sweatband just because they're cooler to wear in the hot months of summer. A leather sweat would just make one sweat. They would me at least.

True; but I think it has a lot to do with how tight the sweatband is on your head as well.
I have some other vintage straws with leather sweatbands as reference.
Those that fit tighter, do draw more sweat. Those that fit loosely and let more air on your forehead are no problem.
This rule actually seems to apply to all hats :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Damn those kids, they know how to pose for a selfie [emoji4]. If it's any consolation, that Bencraft looked good on you too, Georg.

Lidnut49

New in Town
Really nice modern Stetson straw, Georg. I think though, straws have a fabric sweatband just because they're cooler to wear in the hot months of summer. A leather sweat would just make one sweat. They would me at least.

A sweaty leather band can be wiped dry and go right back on your gourd...a cloth band gets wet and stays wet...3rd law of thermodynamics?

Tukwila

True, Lidnut. However, I don't tend to sweat as much with a cloth sweat on my straws as I do with a leather one.
1st law of my head [emoji4]

This is what I noticed when visiting Ecuador, and why the local Panama hat companies think Americans are strange for wanting leather sweatbands in their hats.

I sweat like crazy when I wore a Milan with a leather sweat, constantly wiping away the sweat with a handkerchief. When I wore a Panama with a cloth sweatband, I didn't sweat unless is got super hot and humid and exerted myself physically.

But... if you are going to sweat a lot anyway, a leather sweatband will protect your straw from sweat stains better.

milandro

A-List Customer
My Christys has a thick fabric sweatband with a silky feel to it. The Ortega has a very simple fabric sweatband and the Mayser an elastic fabric. The most pleasant is the Christy’s very very nice.

I have also an Italian boater, that one with a leather sweatband. There is a gap between the stitches joining to the straw and the sweatband, the shop (Mutinelli in Milan) told me that that was a special feature of this hat designed to allow for subtile ventilation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko