Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's what's needed. :p :p :p
dsp_june_24_072_1228757114.jpg
dsp_june_24_073_1228757120.jpg

dsp_june_24_075_1228757123.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I ordered an 'Indiana Jones Bao Outback' straw fedora yesterday from the Village Hat Shop. If it looks anywhere near as good on me in person as it does in the picture on their site, I'll post a pic.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Neil said:
Any thoughts on air-conditioned Montecristis?
Here are three raw hats, in three different styles, plus a finished hat, actually for sale right now by BobC, who, puzzlingly, has decided he's a Milan man instead.
What is the best pattern? What block suits a semi-calado best?
Given the latticework, is a semi-calado best in high weave count, or lower, firmer weave count?
Anyone? Anyone?

aircon2.jpg

I just received this hat yesterday afternoon and wow, what a lid! The pattern is very classy and the weave count, at least where it applies is over 500wpi. It's nicely supple but I don't think there's any danger of it losing it's shape with proper care. You'll not see me grabbing it by the pinch or tossing it around...but then, those are bad habits I've never acquired anyway.

Thanks for passing this on to me Bob,

Kevin

Neil

A-List Customer
Sweat

Anyone have any tips for coping with the effects of sweat on Montecristis? Does a "cool-max" sweatband, as offered by Brent Black, do any better than roan leather or terrycloth?
And what do you do about sweat stains? Does the "washing" that a good hatter like Optimo can do help?
I had no idea these hats were so much hotter than felt.
Come on, people. It's almost summer.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mayser Parabuntal

Hmmm...I really seem to have some kind of subscription to Mayser hats going...

Well, this time I won a Mayser Parbuntal on eBay for just 4,25 €, which I think is a great bargain price.

Beg your pardon for the image quality...cell phone cam...at least the hat doesn't appear to be white, as it did in the original eBay photos.

parabuntal.jpg

Here you can see the weave a bit better:

hellerhut.jpg

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Mario said:
Yes, I'm quite satisfied with the hat. It's my first Panama and I've already fallen in love with it. :)

:eek:fftopic: What hat size do you have? I just can't seem to find anything even remotely interesting on the german Ebay with my big head (61) :eusa_doh:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Well, I have a rather small head on my shoulders (physical, that is!). It's somewhere between 55 and 56. This Parabuntal was advertised as 54 (measured by the seller), but on request it turned out to be 55. Fits well on my noggin.

And I have to agree: on the German Ebay, there isn't too much interesting stuff in the Panama hat department. Imagine how happy I was when I found this hat readvertised. :D

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Neil said:
http://www.optimohatworks.com/

Haven't read much about them on the lounge. Anyone have any experience with them? And I wonder how they and Graham Thompson manage to coexist with the same name?

Dunno.....you might ask Graham. Perhaps the "Optimo" name is generic, since it's a style of hat. But I agree with carouselvic............yikes :eek: !!!

I doubt anyone would confuse this company with Graham's, once the products are compared. It's a long way from Arizona to Chicago. ;)

Neil

A-List Customer
Actually, if you dig into the website, there are some pretty nice looking Panamas. At least as nice as "Montecristi Hats" in New Mexico, which charges astronomical prices. Although this shop charges in the several thousands for its high-end stuff, too.
But you're right about the generic application of the optimo name.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Barney Fife's Panama

My wife just called me away to point out a particular hat that Barney Fife is wearing on TV Land. She couldn't remember seeing the hat before.

It was his Panama with pleated ribbon and kick-ass thin front pinch and diamond crown.

Apparently I'll be in touch with Panama Bob soon :cheers1:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo