Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Nice group. USA blocking is money well spent on hats of that quality. I think that Art has a future as a hatter. As Always, TLH (the lounge heckler)

Dixon

New in Town
My First Panama from Sam Meyer

This is my first Panama. It's a "1930's" designed and sold to me personally by the legendary Sam Meyer. My trip to Meyer the Hatter is a story being drafted for it's own post, however, Sam told me this was his take on the classic Panama from the 1930's. "You look at any picture from the 30's, if there's a Panama, it looks like this one."

I'm loving this lid and Sam is indeed the man.

Best,
D

imgp4421t.jpg

By dixonkinser, shot with PENTAX K100D Super at 2009-06-16

TES

New in Town
Alan, those are really nice brims ( as many say in Texas ). But those ribbons, goodness, they must be among a vault of spectacular vintage ribbons Mr. Fawcett has, I've seen so many on the forum; they really make them stunners. Where in the world does that stuff come from? Nice.

Dixon

New in Town
Thanks for the concern all. I should clarify.

It was the design that was refereneced as so authentic not the material of the hat or craftsmanship. I knew from the price point that I was not getting a "classic" Panama so to speak.

I should have probably clarified.

However, if I've been mislead regarding the hat design as well I'm all ears.
I certainly don't know enough to know better :)

D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Dixon said:
Thanks for the concern all. I should clarify.

It was the design that was refereneced as so authentic not the material of the hat or craftsmanship. I knew from the price point that I was not getting a "classic" Panama so to speak.

I should have probably clarified.

D

Dixon - Number one; that hat has a beautiful shape, in my opinion, and looks super on you. Thanks for showing us. The pictures are great too.

Secondly; I'm glad to hear you paid appropriately for the Shantung.

Third; I'm sure there were similar styles as that in the '30s but there were also higher crowns and smaller brims, and optimo style Panamas galore.

Last; again, that hat really looks good on ya'!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carouselvic said:
Nice group. USA blocking is money well spent on hats of that quality...

TES said:
Alan, those are really nice brims ( as many say in Texas ). But those ribbons, goodness, they must be among a vault of spectacular vintage ribbons Mr. Fawcett has, I've seen so many on the forum; they really make them stunners. Where in the world does that stuff come from? Nice.

I agree entirely.The wpi on those aren't stratospheric, but for me the value is what Art does with them.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dixon said:
That hat looks good on you and will serve you well this summer.
Don't get it wet. I don't think anyone mentioned yet that shantung
is paper.

As for the design, if you were to, as your hat seller suggested,
look at any picture from the 1930s (or two decades before and
one after) most of the panamas you see would like more like this:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=809536&postcount=444

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Hi guys, just dropping in to say hello, with a side-comment.
I just spent two weeks on the Greek island of Crete (the south-western coast is wonderful, a hiking paradise) and chose my PB Montecristo as hat for that trip (not for hiking, though). I wanted to say that hat is wonderful. It ain't the "best" hat in the world, I think it cost around $150, but...art?...yes, the word is quite fitting. You can't believe the compliments I received from my wife (and I agree)!
One of the characteristics I really appreciate is the (usually faint) aroma of sulphur. Whilst it might be a strange approach to hats, I often put the hat under my nose to sniff up that distant reminder of Yellowstone (I'm basically not a pervert!). It's a part of these hats...
Muchisimas gracias, Don Roberto.
Paul

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
PabloElFlamenco said:
One of the characteristics I really appreciate is the (usually faint) aroma of sulphur. Whilst it might be a strange approach to hats, I often put the hat under my nose to sniff up that distant reminder of Yellowstone (I'm basically not a pervert!). It's a part of these hats...
Muchisimas gracias, Don Roberto.
Paul

Well that's it. Now your hooked. There is not even a 12-step program for this, not that you'd ever want to take the cure. HungaryTom is working on coming up with a bottled fragrance.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
FLASH.jpg

A stingy brimmed custom made semicalado. It's off to Oregon for blocking.

A sneak preview. Better (non night time) photos out tomorrow...stay tuned...

NikonJune2009001-2.jpg

Bob - it looks like and smells (sulphur) like a Montecristi - I thought semi Calados were only made in Cuenca...did you get me an ultra rare Montecristi calado!?

Reactions: DRB
This a Mayser Parabuntal I picked up recently. I like the straw, liner and sweat band (really soft). Besdor said Mayser flanging is too soft but I am ok with it.

3635828665_9bca0f2ffa_b.jpg

3636645112_3df4d113e3_b.jpg

3635828913_70b73e40ff_b.jpg

3636645886_38648149d0_b.jpg

3636645522_ba4bf5176f.jpg

3636645696_cd1d31ee67.jpg

3636645750_96a0bf3db3.jpg

Reactions: DRB
Al_Ojeda said:
It looks like the brim has a metal cable in the border could you please tell us about it...??

I will check with a Mayser contact and let you know. My guess is for stability. I am not sure what it is made of.

My Mayser contact said:

"The wire is there for the snap and to keep the shape of the brim the same for a long time.

there are 2 kind of wires

metal and nylon. I am not 100% sure which one is the the parabuntal."

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Vintage Cavanagh Panama Just Arrived

About six months ago I experienced great disappoint when a light colored fur felt Cavanagh in long oval, which I had won on OFAS, never arrived through the mail. Supposedly lost. Got my money back quickly, but have been very disappointed about the whole thing ever since.

Last week I won a Cavanagh Panama off another, smaller, auction site. I didn't have a whole lot of info on it and never got a reply to my questions, but I bid anyway. It arrived today and I was pleased with what I pulled out of the box.

The box itself was in great shape'
cav1.jpg

The hat has a night tight weave, no broken strands, and only some mild dirt from the ages'
cav2.jpg

cav3.jpg

cav4.jpg

cav5.jpg

cav6.jpg

When I first looked under the sweatband, the first thing that happened was the 7 1/4 size tag crumbled into three pieces. The sweatband itself is in good shape and the straw fibers don't feel brittle. I found two small metals discs, as shown in the photo, with the word Carter on them. One on each side--at first I thought it was just support for the bow but when I saw the other one, I was guessing just overall sweatband supports. There's some pencil marks under the attachment area for the one, you can see some of the initials. Appears to be ACA and then TGC.
cav7.jpg

When I looked under the front of the sweatband, I saw the Carter company imprint, so I guess they must have been doing blocking and sweatband installation for Cavanagh. I'm not familiar with the name, perhaps someone else is?
cav8.jpg

The hat is a 7 1/4. Although my wife said it seems to "fit you fine," it does ride high on my head and I have no intent of placing this one on the stretcher. Been thinking this is a good candidate for a cleaning and reblocking. If I went to a 7 3/8, any line from the current brim crown juncture would surely be covered up by the sweatband...at least that is my guess. Brim is about 2 1/4" right now, the crown just shy of 5".

Bernie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24