Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

rlk

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
rlk, that is such a nice Panama. That thing's been waiting for quite a while to look that good on you. Congrats!!
Thank you, Gene. I'm really pleased with the result.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Another mystery fiber...Dobbs

3871477394_52196d05f6_b.jpg
3870694015_ab16d6bedc.jpg
3870694383_58ffe33ace.jpg
3871479064_8d8b72292d.jpg
3871480626_6f5d856793.jpg
3871480066_cc8dd7e261_b.jpg

2" wide sweatband and about the lightest hat I've held.

Reactions: DRB

thinkfloyd

New in Town
New here...

First post! I just ordered my Panama from ecuadormall, though if I saw this forum before I ordered, I would've gotten my hat from PanamaBob instead (after reading all the positive experiences with him. The other guy "BB," when I asked him about a hat in my price range, told me straight out "I don't have a hat for you." Kinda rude, but, oh well...)

I ordered an el cheapo Cuenca Optimo for around $27. Would have wanted a Montechristi instead, but as of the moment, even the cheapest Montechristi is out of my league. A little background: I am a freelance writer/photographer/musician, and living here in a third-world country being freelance means "struggling" and "starving" lol Surviving at least, and when I get my hat, I hope to survive with style...

Hope to save up a little more and get a fine Montechristi from PanamaBob in the future, one to keep as a potential heirloom for my kids, with the Cuenca as an everyday workhorse...

BTW, there are two seasons here in the Philippines, hot and wet. I read that Panamas shouldn't get wet, but what if I cant help it? How can I protect the hat, or at least save it when it gets wet? Thanks!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Welcome! tell us about philippine straw...they make a lot of straws for hats in your part of the world, right? Some of the best for Milan weaves...? Enjoy it here!

thinkfloyd

New in Town
I know of the straw hats here, though maybe I don't know where to look since most are stiff, low quality... saw one I fancied, a straw fedora, but the band was glued on and looked awful haha, so I decided to get a panama instead. Thanks for the welcome!

edit: As for the straw used for Milan weaves, you must be referring to Manila hemp. A stiff fiber used from clothing to hats to most anything really. Super common here, you can pick up a sheet of it lying in the street if you know where to look haha... we use it to start barbecue fires since it burns well.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Hi thinkfloyd, welcome to the Lounge. Brent Black only deals in fine quality Panama hats, but he is one of the top purveyors of Montecristi's. Panama Bob is the go to guy for ANY quality...lowly Azogues to Super Fino's. Even though you purchased your Cuenca elsewhere, I suggest you reach out to PB for ideas in treating your hat against rain and humidity, Bob will gladly assist you, that's just how he is.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
This one's probably just arriving at Optimo, so we'll see what magic they can work...$7.90 at antique mall

I was leaning toward 'Optimo' style with a wide burgundy sweatband, but after seeing rlk's, I'm tempted to ask for the same.

PanamaLg.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
ScottF said:
This one's probably just arriving at Optimo, so we'll see what magic they can work...$7.90 at antique mall

I was leaning toward 'Optimo' style with a wide burgundy sweatband, but after seeing rlk's, I'm tempted to ask for the same.

PanamaLg.jpg

Oh, my! This one's going to be stunning!!!! Congratulations on your find!

Sue

thinkfloyd

New in Town
WineGuy said:
Hi thinkfloyd, welcome to the Lounge. Brent Black only deals in fine quality Panama hats, but he is one of the top purveyors of Montecristi's. Panama Bob is the go to guy for ANY quality...lowly Azogues to Super Fino's. Even though you purchased your Cuenca elsewhere, I suggest you reach out to PB for ideas in treating your hat against rain and humidity, Bob will gladly assist you, that's just how he is.

Thanks WineGuy! From what I read, PB does offer tremendous customer service even if one doesn't buy from him... makes me feel half ashamed not to have discovered him sooner :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
Scott and Jon, fantastic optimos. Scott, I really look forward to seeing what Optimo does with that one.

Thanks all. It's been just sitting around like this for a few months, but I put it in the mail as soon as I saw rlk's posted. The warm weather is basically gone here in Seattle, so I guess it will be a display piece for the next 7 months!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes