Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Trail in Mexico

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I just got back from 12 wonderful days in and around the city of Merida in the Yucatan peninsula. They make their own version of the Panama hat here. It is made out of a palm leaf and they can be quite nice, like a fine Quenca. They certainly don't the fine weave of a Montecristi, although they call their finer hats finos. The better ones are made in caves in the state of Campeche, as the humid atmosphere of the cave is good for weaving hats. They are made in the town of Becal, but in Merida there is a large selection.

Real finos they aren't, but you can buy a pretty good lid for $80 to $150. I bought what I would call a 'travel hat' for around 200 pesos, or around $15. Funny thing is, they don't come finished. They are blocked, but none have a headband, even the expensive ones, and you get a hatband, but it's never sewn on, so it is always coming off and finally I just put it away in my suitcase. Anyway, I've uploaded a few pictures on my Picasa, so here they are...

http://picasaweb.google.com/craigt55/PanamaHatTrailInTheYucatan

Just click on the slide show, but the pictures go by rather quickly, so drag your curser to the bottom of the screen and increase the picture time.

Enjoy, KC

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great slide show.

KC, Thanks for posting that slide show. It's always interesting to see the locations where hats are made and sold in countries other than the US.

I noticed the caption on one photo referred to the "Weekly Market". Is the industry similar to that in Ecuador where individual weavers bring their creations to market weekly and sell them to the person(s) who own the shops or to brokers? Are the raw hats then sorted, blocked, and finished locally before being offered for sale?

Is there an export market as well?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Another excellent travel photo essay

KC,

Thank you so much. Great photos!
Question how much did they ask for the fine hat on your head in which you were just posing for the photograph and how fine was it?

Best Regards:

Tom

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
carter said:
KC, Thanks for posting that slide show. It's always interesting to see the locations where hats are made and sold in countries other than the US.

I noticed the caption on one photo referred to the "Weekly Market". Is the industry similar to that in Ecuador where individual weavers bring their creations to market weekly and sell them to the person(s) who own the shops or to brokers? Are the raw hats then sorted, blocked, and finished locally before being offered for sale?

Is there an export market as well?

It's nothing like Ecuador. This market is just a weekly thing in Merida where they sell all sorts of handcrafts. I don't think the number of hats made here is anywhere near what they make in Ecuador. I think there may be an export market, but it's very small...KC

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
HungaryTom said:
KC,

Thank you so much. Great photos!
Question how much did they ask for the fine hat on your head in which you were just posing for the photograph and how fine was it?

Best Regards:

Tom

She wanted about $180 at first, but eventually came down to $120. I thought I could still get a better deal with one of Art's hats. The finest hats were not all that fine compared to an Ecuadoran fino. I'd say they were like a good Cuenca. But they were very light weight and felt great on my head. The blocking was so-so, not as tight of a pinch as I like. But as I mentioned, no headband. I think the idea is they kind of make one or two sizes, so the hat expands on your head for a bighead like me. If you have a smaller head, then they just tighten a hatband around it until it fits. For a bighead, this makes reverse taper a high possibility.

I also have a blog from the trip,

http://craigamyyucatan.blogspot.com

...KC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy