Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Question???

riflegunbuilder

New in Town
Received my Panama Bob Panama last week. Fantastic hat! I have read the directions Bob sent with it. I can't get the brim to do anything; huge waves all around. How do I get the brim straight? I'd also like to get the brim stiffer so I could give it more of a Fedora shape. This is my first shaping experince, would I be better sending it to someone?

aliados

One of the Regulars
Brim Flattening

Apologies to Bon for touting a competitor, but check out http://panamahatsdirect.com/panama-hat-care.htm#tips-tricks

Hit this link, scroll down to the second link (Video 2 - reshaping the brim) and watch the movie. It works! (Although I usually wet the hat down more thoroughly than is sugested in the video).

If your wood cut-outs are narrow than the brim, the edge will curl up slightly, which is what you want. I also find that, over time, the angle between the brim and the crown increases, so I put a light weith on top of the crown while the hat's drying, which re-establishes the correct angle.

riflegunbuilder

New in Town
Bob, I am very pleased with the hat. I was not trying to be disparging to you in any way. I'll give you a call. I was just hoping another lounger might point me in the right direction without having to bother you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic