Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pancakes, Waffles, Crepes or French Toast...?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
On Sundays I make breakfast - french toast, waffles, or (occasionally) either pancakes or hash browns & eggs.

Here's my mom's French Toast recipe:

2 cups milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
Vanilla
Cinnamon to taste

I somethimes short the sugar a bit. I find it mixes best by combining eggs, sugar and cinnamon, beating well, then adding milk.

Haversack

One Too Many
Around home I generally handle breakfast preparation. Usually it is of a savory sort involving eggs, (scrambled or poached), bacon, cheese, tomato, lettuce, hummus, garlic. etc. Occassionally, my wife and I will have either oatmeal pancakes, waffles, or French Toast. The two former are made by my wife and depend on our having buttermilk in the house. French Toast is my balliwick. Besides 2 or 3 variations I've learned over the years, I also use a book entitled _Dining By Rail_. It is a history of the American Dining Car and contains scores of Golden Age recipes from all of the old passenger-carrying railroads. French Toast was standard with most railroads and many created a signature version of this dish to make them stand out from other carriers. The version my wife is particularly fond is the Pennsylvania Railroad French Toast. This involves making up strawberry jam and butter sandwiches, removing the crusts, quartering them into triangles, and dipping them in a vanilla-laden batter that has been beaten for 20 minutes. The flavours of strawberry, vanilla, and maple combine quite well.

Haversack.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What I usually have for breakfast is a cup of coffee with an english muffin. But, my favorite choice of breakfast is french toast with powder sugar and syrup, with some scambled eggs on the side.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I know that breakfast is one the seventeen most important meals of the day,
actually, that sounds a bit like me! I'm not a big meal type of person, I tend to snack every two hours or so (and actually, they say it's a lot better for you also)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
Hey, you can't even get good bagels here in NYC any more! Unless you go to the Lower East Side, you can't find a Jewish bagel place. And because of gentrification, even those few are going to have to close soon.:rage:

There's still a few places in Philly, often snuggled between chinese food and a pizza place, which is helpful as those are my main food groups.lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Viola said:
There's still a few places in Philly, often snuggled between chinese food and a pizza place, which is helpful as those are my main food groups.lol
I think it's finding places that make good food period that seems to be running a little short. The only half way decent bagel shop is 'sunrise bagels'. And there is nothing like a good italian restraunt, which, I still need to find!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I'd just like to thank everyone in this thread for helping me realise that it's been about fourteen hours since I last ate, and there's a good reason why I'm feeling peckish. lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I'd just like to thank everyone in this thread for helping me realise that it's been about fourteen hours since I last ate, and there's a good reason why I'm feeling peckish. lol[/QUOTE]
lol Good God man...eat something! :p
I think I'd die if I went that long without eating! With both not getting enough sleep or being hungry...I can definetely relate to a lot of cranky two year olds!:p

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
lol Good God man...eat something! :p
I think I'd die if I went that long without eating! With both not getting enough sleep or being hungry...I can definetely relate to a lot of cranky two year olds!:p

It's OK, I got lucky and there was food in the fridge as well as booze for a change. lol Serves me right for getting distracted.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
oh my!

I love em all.Dusted with confectionary sugar.
I liek the blueberry pancakes version where the blueberries arent in the mix. Served as a sort of compote wrapped inside the pancake.

In Hawaii I like macadamia nut pancakes & instead of maple syrup, coconut syrup.

ideaguy

One Too Many
My wife's pancakes every Sunday morning,made from scratch, drizzled with maple syrup from a farmer we know, a dollop of creme fraiche (sp?) and
some cut up and macerated seasonal fruit. Butter. Coffee-secret blend, also improves gas mileage. Ice-cold fresh milk-right outta da cow, 2 miles up the road...and the Sunday Times. Nap optional after.

SGB

One of the Regulars
French toast, although there was a small diner in my hometown that made the best pancakes ever, unfortunately it burned down and was never rebuilt. Sure would liked to have known the secret to those pancakes. I miss Dom's Cafe.

SGB

prof500

New in Town
Danish -- fruit-centered or "bear claws".

I eat the other things more at restaurants. But a lot of restaurants don't have decent maple syrup, unfortunately. IHOP has been having some good funnel cakes, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo