Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants you wear with your leather jackets

roadking04

Practically Family
I never looked at the numbers. I usually wear relaxed fit jeans and didn't have a problem with the fit on the "true straight" jeans from Bravestar. I am not a skinny jeans dude. lol. Hope you find what you are looking for. I am hoping for some Iron Hearts for the fall riding season. Probably gonna chugg a six pack and hit the button. lol.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I never looked at the numbers. I usually wear relaxed fit jeans and didn't have a problem with the fit on the "true straight" jeans from Bravestar. I am not a skinny jeans dude. lol. Hope you find what you are looking for. I am hoping for some Iron Hearts for the fall riding season. Probably gonna chugg a six pack and hit the button. lol.

I’ve primarily worn straight leg Gustins for nearly 10 years, with a few Naked and Famous and Ciano Farmer thrown in. Good jeans, but the 8” cuff is just a bit small for Wesco engineers.

The four month wait sucks, but I will have some perfect custom black Ciano Farmers by Fall.

I still want to try IH, but when I dive into that pool (after a few beers) I’d like to start with their heavy indigo denim.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Screenshot_20210517-114539_Gallery.jpg

Pants i wear today, bottle green cord

Edward

Bartender
Are these made with Iggy pop's skin?

Hot cup of tea in hand, I am *so* glad I had just swallowed *before* I read that!!

I’m still on the hunt for a pair of black jeans. Opening must be at least 8.5” but preferably an inch more than that. I’d also prefer a higher rise for those times I tuck the front of my shirt in under a jacket. Deep dark black and selvedge preferred.

I’m pretty close to biting the bullet and ordering Iron Heart, but this is a last ditch attempt to find an alternative.

EDIT:
I ordered another pair of Ciano Farmers in 14oz black (have a pair of their 18oz Japanese indigo). Miner cut with a custom inch added to the opening. Last time I waited seven months, let’s hope he is faster this time!

After not having had a pair of black jeans in years, I have had a hankering for them during lockdown since I've been wearing jeans just a little more regularly with rarely going out and mostly working from home. The biggest challenge seems now to find a pair of traditional black jeans, woven liker indigo denim, not dyed black the whole way through. Often wonder when that changed (I've not bought a pair of black jeans since maybe 2001, I think). Oddly harder to find in longer lengths, too - presumably fewer people cuff them now?

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
@JustinW, I am pretty sure Brave star sells a 21oz double black selvedge jeans for about $128 or so. I am a rookie in raw denim. I only have 2 pairs but I am quite pleased with the price and quality.
They do and the quality is crazy good especially for the price. I have the 21oz db bs and they are equal with the ironheart 634 21oz demin I have. The only difference between them that I wish was different is bs 33 is bigger in the waist than ih 33 waist measurements.( I have a small waist in proportion to my legs because of squats.) So the quality you get from bs is a no Brainer. I will have a hard time buying ih again because bs has amazing quality for a lower price. Even buying ih used is more expensive than bs. Gentlemen we have our winner

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
I’m still on the hunt for a pair of black jeans. Opening must be at least 8.5” but preferably an inch more than that. I’d also prefer a higher rise for those times I tuck the front of my shirt in under a jacket. Deep dark black and selvedge preferred.

I’m pretty close to biting the bullet and ordering Iron Heart, but this is a last ditch attempt to find an alternative.

EDIT:
I ordered another pair of Ciano Farmers in 14oz black (have a pair of their 18oz Japanese indigo). Miner cut with a custom inch added to the opening. Last time I waited seven months, let’s hope he is faster this time!
Go with bravestar bro. You will be very happy. Save the money

Pandemic

One Too Many
After not having had a pair of black jeans in years, I have had a hankering for them during lockdown since I've been wearing jeans just a little more regularly with rarely going out and mostly working from home. The biggest challenge seems now to find a pair of traditional black jeans, woven liker indigo denim, not dyed black the whole way through. Often wonder when that changed (I've not bought a pair of black jeans since maybe 2001, I think). Oddly harder to find in longer lengths, too - presumably fewer people cuff them now?

Gotcha, yeh most black jeans are black warp and weft - finding a white weft will be trickier. Personally, I like natural fades in indo denim but prefer my black jeans to stay black. That is a definite appeal of IHs reactive dyed jeans over the usual sulfur dyes.

Go with bravestar bro. You will be very happy. Save the money

Won't fit over engineer boots.

The upcharge for a custom pattern from Ciano Farmer is a one-time deal, so from now on I get the exact fit I want with the denim and details I chose. I'm pretty happy with this. My last pair were amazing - though I am tweaking a few fit details. The production time delay sucks for those used to instant gratification, but aren't we all accustomed to waiting months for for leather jackets anyway? Just gotta keep a look out for when he puts fabric on sale, like the current deal on 14oz Italian double black.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I guess "good" black jeans that will fade grey is sulfur dyed on the warp and either have natural weft or reactive dyed weft if its black x black.
I have yet to buy quality black denim, im not sure i like black and white fades salt and pepper look of it. Indigo color also make slightly dirty yellowing in the denim looks bearable to a point. Slightly yellowing dirt in the faded part of black jeans i imagine would look dirtier and unappealing.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Couple of examples of pants other than jeans worn with leather.

First out is these Aero cotton trousers:

FCAC05FE-A3B1-4732-81EA-19273AFCD7AB.jpeg

And these are an old Swedish brand that I picked up at a thrift store. Heavy canvas(I think?):
1328449B-96DF-4A56-95E6-51BB8EE7C04D.jpeg

Aero tweed trousers:
28D2C89B-156A-45E1-BECA-E50309BD6D77.jpeg

I also wear Dickies 874 khaki chinos. Wide legs, high waist and cheap:

DE8D2FF6-8237-4775-BEFE-51715985AFE5.jpeg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah the biggest issue with Bravestar is that they don't have anything that even resembles a straight fit. They say they do, but their "straight " fit is an insult to straight fits. Otherwise they offer good value for money.

Edward

Bartender
Gotcha, yeh most black jeans are black warp and weft - finding a white weft will be trickier. Personally, I like natural fades in indo denim but prefer my black jeans to stay black. That is a definite appeal of IHs reactive dyed jeans over the usual sulfur dyes..

To be fair, that is the trade off indeed. I prefer mine to stay black as well - ideally, I prefer my indigo to stay indigo too! I wonder if anyone will ever solve this dye issue in order that we can have the perfect black jeans with contrast cuffs? #firstworldproblems

Couple of examples of pants other than jeans worn with leather.

First out is these Aero cotton trousers:

View attachment 335253

And these are an old Swedish brand that I picked up at a thrift store. Heavy canvas(I think?):
View attachment 335254

Aero tweed trousers:
View attachment 335256

I also wear Dickies 874 khaki chinos. Wide legs, high waist and cheap:

View attachment 335260

Good stuff. I like 874s too; ideally I'd prefer 'em full cotton or a higher cotton proportion in the mix, but they wear hard and they do have a nice shape to them. If memory serves they were first sold in the early 60s, but that have a great shape for a 50s look too. I like them for work, nice and cheap - though cheaper in the US; a stack of these is on my 'to buy' list next time I'm over there.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
To be fair, that is the trade off indeed. I prefer mine to stay black as well - ideally, I prefer my indigo to stay indigo too! I wonder if anyone will ever solve this dye issue in order that we can have the perfect black jeans with contrast cuffs? #firstworldproblems

Good stuff. I like 874s too; ideally I'd prefer 'em full cotton or a higher cotton proportion in the mix, but they wear hard and they do have a nice shape to them. If memory serves they were first sold in the early 60s, but that have a great shape for a 50s look too. I like them for work, nice and cheap - though cheaper in the US; a stack of these is on my 'to buy' list next time I'm over there.

I completely agree re the cotton mix of the 874’s. That’s what’s stopping me from settling with them. If they had a full cotton fabric I wouldn’t look twice at another chino in my life.

Edward

Bartender
I completely agree re the cotton mix of the 874’s. That’s what’s stopping me from settling with them. If they had a full cotton fabric I wouldn’t look twice at another chino in my life.

I think the current mix, from memory, is 60-40 poly-cotton. 50/50 or 40-60 and I think we'd start to get into the territory where it would be harder to tell by look and feel.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Yeah the biggest issue with Bravestar is that they don't have anything that even resembles a straight fit. They say they do, but their "straight " fit is an insult to straight fits. Otherwise they offer good value for money.
Would you say they’re more tapered than straight or just too slim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21