Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paper detachable collars?

PantherMkV

New in Town
Hi folks!
Thought the more knowledgeable members of this community might be able to help me with a query;
Having no detachable collars of my own and being eager to try the look, I did some reading and discovered the mention of paper detachable collars being used at some point in the 19th century. These were apparently made of thick card and replaced once the old one wore out.
As such, I conducted a little experiment using regular writing paper, as I had no card at hand.

Ffj07aZ.jpg

I started with a Gazman dress shirt and removed the collar. Messy, yes, but it was just a spur of the moment thing.
qX4um0d.jpg

I drew up a pattern for a taller sort of collar, cut it out, and attached it to the front and back of my now-tunic shirt's short collar stub using badge pins. You can see the paper is bending a little in certain places but please excuse the roughness! This was a very quick make. :)
The result was quite favorable, despite the paper being quite delicate.
PXnYtbC.jpg

For a half-hour project, I think the experiment turned out well. It was fiddly to attach and it bent a little along the way, but regardless I was happy enough. I'll have to buy some card tomorrow and try it out properly!

Has anybody here got any experience with wearing paper collars? Would anyone like my collar pattern to try themselves and join the experiment?
Curious to hear from you. :)
~MCRB

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
I've bought paper collars from Amazon Dry Goods before, and they're really not that bad. I might even go so far as to say I prefer them over starched cotton due to their economical merits.
Here's me in a 1910s/20s-styled high collar.

PantherMkV

New in Town
Looks great! How thick was the paper used? I like those tall collars, it'd be great is paper proved to be a viable material so I could just about use any collar style I wanted! The alternative being, of course, buying the Darcy washables!
~MCRB

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
Hi folks!
Thought the more knowledgeable members of this community might be able to help me with a query;
Having no detachable collars of my own and being eager to try the look, I did some reading and discovered the mention of paper detachable collars being used at some point in the 19th century. These were apparently made of thick card and replaced once the old one wore out.
As such, I conducted a little experiment using regular writing paper, as I had no card at hand.

Ffj07aZ.jpg

I started with a Gazman dress shirt and removed the collar. Messy, yes, but it was just a spur of the moment thing.
qX4um0d.jpg

I drew up a pattern for a taller sort of collar, cut it out, and attached it to the front and back of my now-tunic shirt's short collar stub using badge pins. You can see the paper is bending a little in certain places but please excuse the roughness! This was a very quick make. :)
The result was quite favorable, despite the paper being quite delicate.
PXnYtbC.jpg

For a half-hour project, I think the experiment turned out well. It was fiddly to attach and it bent a little along the way, but regardless I was happy enough. I'll have to buy some card tomorrow and try it out properly!

Has anybody here got any experience with wearimng paper collars? Would anyone like my collar pattern to try themselves and join the experiment?
Curious to hear from you. :)
~MCRB

I think it looks great! I'd be delighted to see your pattern.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
Looks good, Panther. Just in case anyone was wondering, I believe the paper collars were made around the time of the Civil War when cotton was all produced in the South, therefore being embargoed in the North. Presumably the trend of making them continued for a time out of habit and lower cost.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Nice collar PantherMkV! Paper collars are a great way to experiment with different collar styles without the high cost and inconvenience of starched fabric.

I like detachable collars and have purchased the Amazon DryGoods 'Perry' collar in the past. The paper is similar to poster board in thickness and texture (actually I think it is just a sheet of poster board that they cut out on the stamper). To save money I made some extra ones from poster board using an old Perry collar as my pattern, they turned out OK though I only wore it once in favor or starched cotton.
1910s Mike.jpg
Here is the home made collar:

I didn't reproduce this on mine, but the collars from Amazon Drygoods have perforated "stitching" along their perimeter to simulate the look of fabric.

Last edited:

F. J.

One of the Regulars
A little history . . .

Paper collars, shirt-fronts, and cuffs have been around since the mid-19th century and were originally linen laminated onto paper. They were disposable for people who had to wear them all the time, such as waiters, servants, conductors, etc., who didn’t have the time, or money, to have them properly laundered.
In the 1870’s, celluloid, an early form of plastic, began to be used to produce the same. They were easy to clean and were intended for the same people that the paper ones were. Celluloid and paper collars continued to be used well into the 20th century.
The only problem with celluloid is that it is made from nitrocellulose and camphor, which makes it highly inflammable. It’s essentially the same stuff they made early motion picture film with. Also, nitrocellulose is generally known as flash paper. This is why reproductions are generally made from acetate.

Anyway, depending on the type of paper or posterboard used, you could easily reproduce a paper or celluloid collar, as we have already seen in this thread. Well done, gentlemen! I have thought of doing it for some time, but never got around to it.

Last edited:

BruSwain

New in Town

God bless Amazon Dry Goods but last time I ordered some collars from them (in 2014) what I received was stock that had been sitting around a bit too long and had yellowed somewhat.

Anyone please correct me but I think I recall seeing (maybe a year ago) that ADG was either going out of business or at the least closing down their collar business.

There's much to be said for the "linene" collars ADG produced/produces since they have a thin cloth layer laminated on one side, so that model's the closest to the Real Deal. I for one just can't wear a paper collar; yes, they can look terrific, but to me it's cheating and just doesn't seem right.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks!
19th century? I wore them to school in the 1950's, Your effort is rather good though. In the early 1960's, as the Carnaby Street era was ushered in, we used those paper collars to create our own design. You take a large coin, use it as a pattern, round off the pointed edge of the collar to create a 'new' look. It's ceturies old of course, but like the suits of the period, collars were slim, so the rounded look had a more modern appearance rather than Edwardian.

When you are a penniless student you invent ways to be fashionable. As well as the rounded collar, I remember summer jackets, in pastel colours being all the rage, for all of ten minutes, or so it seemed. We bought white overall jackets and dyed them in pastel colours. They were as much admired as our 'original' rounded collars.

What a reminisce!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner