Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Parcelforce shipping question

minisoda

Familiar Face
My Alexander Leathers Roadster shipped from Scotland on Monday via Parcelforce. I tracked it throughout the week, but last night started showing a status of "held" with description "Address problem - requires sender's instruction".

Does anyone know if signature is required for delivery? We are away for the holiday weekend.

Also, I would imagine they use a US partner like UPS or USPS for delivery. I wonder if it's possible to contact them or if everything needs to route through Parecelforce.

Thanks!

minisoda

Familiar Face
UPDATE

Called Parcelforce and got a quick answer. They do require signature and we weren't home. Sorry for spinning up a thread, but may be useful for someone down the road!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Parcel farce I call them now, have had some poor experiences with them recently, latest one:....I wasn't out but apparently my house was completely vacant so my parcel wasn't delivered but went around the houses and eventually back to the sender. Eventually received it (a jacket funnily enough) but not from Parcelforce.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I worked as a multi drop driver for one of the big catalogue companies nearly 30 years ago. You could be sacked for what was refered to as 'Doorstepping'. A lot of customers just claimed the items had not arrived and rather than blame the driver would claim for another, or just say it had not arrived and they bought the item someplace else thus cancelling the 'Non delivered item' Ahmmmm, yes, and if you saw some of the area's I delivered to you may think like me.
J

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
As far as I am aware all Parcel Force items now require a signature but I too have had a relief driver, (the usual regular one I know so he is good), and he didn't bother knocking on my door and said I was out. If they leave a card (they should) then you have to phone to arrange a new deleivery date otherwise they can end up sending it back to the sender.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And when I say vacant I mean Parcelforce implied the house wasn't being used for occupancy at the time..empty.....cheek :)

Parcelforce are useless. Nothing but trouble, in my experience, and very often scam artists in their attempts to steal "handling fees" on imported parcels (knowingly inappropriate levying of import duties in order to charge the "handling fee"). But hey, they've gotta generate that 15% return for their investors somehow, so why not rip off the plebs?

Us Brits should be prepared to see Royal Mail quality, reliability and general trustworthiness on the same slippery slope given the recent changes.

Edward

Bartender
Certainly if the private couriers are anything to go by, the part privatisation of parcelforce and RM is a guarantee of a drop in service quality. I have taken to emailing online businesses that use private couriers to let them know I will be buying elsewhere. RM and Parcelforce I rarely have a problem actually getting my stuff from. The handling charge is a gouge, of course, though the private cos would inevitably be worse. Last parcel I got from the states was delayed in the UK by twelve days, but that was Customs, not Parcelforce to blame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner