Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris In The Roaring Twenties

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about a homage to eating in Paris in the year of 1926-27?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/220473.Between_Meals

Alas, no I have not read it yet either! (So many books, so little time.)
I'm drilling through the John Le Carre autobiography now, and A life of Montaigne is up next.
Still, I'm always sniffing about for an interesting read and I saw this one. Immediately thought of this thread.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
How about a homage to eating in Paris in the year of 1926-27?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/220473.Between_Meals

Alas, no I have not read it yet either! (So many books, so little time.)
I'm drilling through the John Le Carre autobiography now, and A life of Montaigne is up next.
Still, I'm always sniffing about for an interesting read and I saw this one. Immediately thought of this thread.

^^ Sounds great! ...there were so many restaurants, bars, cabarets ..... high and low, of course.

A very famous , and it was lots of fun with the 20s crowd ,was the "Boeuf Sur Le Toit" (The Ox On The Roof) cabaret/restaurant.

http://daniellathompson.com/Texts/Le_Boeuf/Au_Temps_du_Boeuf3.htm

the place it's still there today but I would not put a foot inside....because it's nothing like it was....not even the shadow of what it was. Oh well.

That depresses me enormously .... it does lol....when they try to keep alive things that have been completely changed. They only keep the name????? what the heck.

Last edited:

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Then were the low end restaurants for those artists who didn't have the money.....this was a popular place to be fed....Modigliani used to eat there all the time..... he was poor and nobody knew his name.....Bohemian Paris teens and early 1920s.....Rosalie was the cook there,, she was Italian...very generous and she fed all artists, they paid her later.... totally amazing "Chez Rosalie" I'm sure all those starving painters that are worth billions today but didn't have a cent back then....bless he name.

(this is deep deep deep knowldge ....lol...deep into the the teens and early 20s Paris....only for those who are interested....how things were back then)

her with her son who helped her in the kitchen

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Modi and her French girlfriend Jeanne.....who pregnant and all, threw herself out of a building window a day or so after Modi died of tuberculosis...killing herself of course....apparently she couldn't bear to live without him....

he was handsome ... she was in love I assume....oh well....La vie boheme.....

and she was gorgeous too, c'est la vie

Modi and her French girlfriend Jeanne.....who pregnant and all, threw herself out of a building window a day or so after Modi died of tuberculosis...killing herself of course....apparently she couldn't bear to live without him....

he was handsome ... she was in love I assume....oh well....La vie boheme.....

and she was gorgeous too, c'est la vie

Very much in the Romantic style of literature, but unfortunately, this was real life.

on the boat to France.....The Fitzgeralds.....one of their many trips

God knows they both were very attractive back then....in the beginning...here playing with their baby Scottie

He was handsome or, as you say, interesting looking in an of-the-period and a certain-type way (the other end of the Hemingway he-man continuum). She was definitely pretty in her youth, but sadly, truly mentally disturbed in a way that would be diagnosed and treated today.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
He was handsome or, as you say, interesting looking in an of-the-period and a certain-type way (the other end of the Hemingway he-man continuum). She was definitely pretty in her youth, but sadly, truly mentally disturbed in a way that would be diagnosed and treated today.

Yes, I agree. In their different ways, both Hem and Scott were attractive men...Zelda was always beautiful in her younger years... but their life was so crazy and so full to the top so to speak (like many artists and writers in the 1920s) that something's gotta give and her sanity gave ...she had a great life while the good times lasted thou......;)

And her death, My God! Scott himself could have not written a more tragic book.....

"When Scott died in 1940, Zelda had been living for some years in Highland, a sanitarium in Asheville, North Carolina. It boasted forward-thinking treatment along with beautiful grounds and a view of the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. It was there in 1948 that she was sedated as she went to bed in preparation for an early morning shock treatment. While she was allowed to leave the grounds during the day, her room on the fifth floor was locked at night.

A disgruntled employee started a fire in the hospital kitchen, the fire department didn't arrive until it was too late for them to stop the blaze that rushed to the upper floors through a dumbwaiter. All that was found of Zelda under her charred remains was a single slipper."

Highland hospital fire, Asheville, North Carolina, 1948

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Talking about Ernest Hemingway during his life in Paris in the 1920s.....

Hemingway, wounded by a falling skylight, Paris in 1928

that's how it turned out to look forever in his head

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails