Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PATTON ON AMC CABLE - 8PM EDT

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Great horseman, Patton. Won one (or more?) gold medals at the 1912 Olympics.

Unlike MacArthur, Patton would have never ordered U.S. cavalry regiments to shoot 500 healthy but surplus military horses (since they were to be replaced by mechanized combat vehicles).

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I forgot about the Olympics.:eek: Thanks Marc.:eusa_clap

Another scene from the movie is where the Germans are watching movies of American Generals and Patton is described as someone who bends on one knee to pray yet curses like a sailor or something to that effect. lol Again that describes ME!;)

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Patton is an excellent film due in no small part to Jerry Goldsmith's great score. I love how Goldsmith's main theme for Patton is built using three distinct motifs symbolizing the General's beliefs in the military, God and reincarnation. The latter of which is symbolized through the most innovative part of the score as a three note trumpet motif that echos off into the distance. Absolutely amazing!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
1912 Olympics and GSP

Marc Chevalier said:
Great horseman, Patton. Won one (or more?) gold medals at the 1912 Olympics.

Unlike MacArthur, Patton would have never ordered U.S. cavalry regiments to shoot 500 healthy but surplus military horses (since they were to be replaced by mechanized combat vehicles).

Actually Patton's bid for Olympic gold failed. A pistol shot may have gone
through another round's target hole, losing valuable points.

Hondo

One Too Many
An excellent film and great acting by George C Scott as Patton. Did any one know that the late Robert Mitchum was offered the part of Patton? I only found this out while watching the 1971 Dick Cavett Show last night on TCM when they had Mitchum as a guest.
It would have been odd with Robert Mitchum, he turn the part down because he hated desert dust and tanks, if you get a chance do watch repeats of Dick Cavett:eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:

Maybe they all became jackets...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I wish Patton's infamous "battle" with cartoonist Bill "Willie & Joe" Mauldin might have been included in the movie, but then that would just show what a pompous arse Patton was. Apparently, Patton thought of Mauldin as a troublemaker who should have been court martialed due to the scathing content (allegedly anti-officer) of his cartoons. Mauldin recounted the incident where the two met and Patton just went on and on, whereas Mauldin just sat and listened and that was that! Patton was frustrated that he couldn't do anything about this jug-eared kid who had the hearts of the enlisted men.

"Our blood and his guts."

Haversack

One Too Many
Bill Mauldin wrote about his meeting with Patton in his book _The Brass Ring_. He also did a cartoon specifically aimed at the General. It depicted Willie and Joe in a well-used Jeep in the rain. The top of the Jeep is up and W. & J. are looking care-worn as usual. They are stopped at a sign that announces that, "You Are Entering The
Third Army!" There follows a list of fines for anyone entering the area: no helmet, $25; no shave $10; no tie $25; and so on. Willie tells Joe, "Radio th' ol' man we'll be late on account of a thousand-mile detour."

Haversack.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Haversack said:
Bill Mauldin wrote about his meeting with Patton in his book _The Brass Ring_. He also did a cartoon specifically aimed at the General. It depicted Willie and Joe in a well-used Jeep in the rain. The top of the Jeep is up and W. & J. are looking care-worn as usual. They are stopped at a sign that announces that, "You Are Entering The
Third Army!" There follows a list of fines for anyone entering the area: no helmet, $25; no shave $10; no tie $25; and so on. Willie tells Joe, "Radio th' ol' man we'll be late on account of a thousand-mile detour."

Haversack.

That's right. Great book. Have you read Back Home, also by Mauldin? The guy knew nonsense when he saw it and wasn't afraid to point it out, which is what made him such a fine satirist/social commentator/what have you. One of my heroes.

Haversack

One Too Many
I've a couple of Mauldin's collections of his political cartoons in my collection of same. Everyone knows the one Mauldin did the day after Kennedy was shot. Its the one with the statue of Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial with his face in his hands. However, the two I particularly like are from those Mauldin did in the late 1940s concering the full integration of the Military Services. One showed the American eagle walking up a flag pole flying the US Flag to where a crow is pearched on the ball finial. The eagle is saying, "I've Decided I Want My Seat Back" (Its also the title of one the books of cartoons) The other shows a civilian speaking to an Army Colonel about how his rank is beginning to smell. Instead of eagle rank insignia on his epaulets, the colonel's are crows.

Haversack.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
When I was selling cars, I sold a car to a tank driver who served under Patton. I asked him if Patton was as big a *&&^ the movie made him. He told me that he wouldn't have wanted to serve under anyone else. Patton was a hardnose but it save his and many other GI's lives.:)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Haversack said:
I've a couple of Mauldin's collections of his political cartoons in my collection of same. Everyone knows the one Mauldin did the day after Kennedy was shot. Its the one with the statue of Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial with his face in his hands. However, the two I particularly like are from those Mauldin did in the late 1940s concering the full integration of the Military Services. One showed the American eagle walking up a flag pole flying the US Flag to where a crow is pearched on the ball finial. The eagle is saying, "I've Decided I Want My Seat Back" (Its also the title of one the books of cartoons) The other shows a civilian speaking to an Army Colonel about how his rank is beginning to smell. Instead of eagle rank insignia on his epaulets, the colonel's are crows.

Haversack.

I have that one, as well. I'm still looking for a decently-priced What's Got Your back Up?. Mauldin won two Pulitzer Prizes, one in 1945 and another in 1959. His life was an interesting one, and it was a shame to have it end as it did.

For those who want to know more on Mauldin's career:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/swann/mauldin/mauldin-atwar.html

My intention was not to hijack the thread, sorry! Back to Patton...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk