Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pawn stars - john wayne hat

frussell

One Too Many
I've always figured that Pawn Stars was only semi-reality, like any "reality" show. I watch it frequently, and enjoy some of the odd items. One thing I have noticed is that in general, they overpay for what would be very common, easy to find vintage musical instruments. Every time someone brings in an old mandolin or guitar, I have to yell at the screen "No! I can tell you where to find one in better shape for half that price!" Seems to be one area where their "experts" regularly fall short in saving them money. Frank

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
John Wayne's feet. The story I heard was that character actor Harry Carey taught him to do that toed-in walk in order to give him
a more intimidating, even menacing presence as he walked toward someone. I'd say it worked better than expected. You could recognize the Duke a mile away just from his walk.

John Wayne's feet. The story I heard was that character actor Harry Carey taught him to do that toed-in walk in order to give him
a more intimidating, even menacing presence as he walked toward someone. I'd say it worked better than expected. You could recognize the Duke a mile away just from his walk.

Yup,Pilgrim. That's what I heard as well..right from his Son,Patrick's mouth.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John Wayne's feet. The story I heard was that character actor Harry Carey taught him to do that toed-in walk in order to give him a more intimidating, even menacing presence as he walked toward someone. I'd say it worked better than expected. You could recognize the Duke a mile away just from his walk.

Hi

That wasn't Harry "Take me out to the Ball Game" Carey either right? Duke's biography is a weird mix of greatness, great times, and sadness. For example, his accountant made him broke one year. Gotta love that.

Later

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hi

That wasn't Harry "Take me out to the Ball Game" Carey either right? Duke's biography is a weird mix of greatness, great times, and sadness. For example, his accountant made him broke one year. Gotta love that.

Later

Different Carey family.
This was Harry Carey, as in The Shepherd of the Hills, Harry Carey ... Husband of Olive Carey and father of Harry Carey Jr. ... who portray mother and son in The Searchers.

And, yes, according to John Wayne, Harry Carey told him to walk like he was digging in his toes. Harry Carey started out in silent films and he was aware that mannerisms like that are picked up in the motion picture.

The last scene of The Searchers, in which John Wayne holds his left arm with his right arm crossed over his front, showed a mannerism that Harry Carey had adopted in the silent westerns. Wayne did that as as homage to his mentor who had passed away. I guess it was a very moving moment for Olive Carey who immediately recognized what Wayne was doing.

These were true professionals ... and artists ... not just people who throw mud up on a wall to see what sticks. Wayne, Carey, Ward Bond, John Form ... these men were the real deal and they knew their craft. When they did something in a film, it was done with a reason. Wayne made more than 200 films. Like him. Don't like him. You can't argue with the fact that he knew what he was doing.

Sam

Cicero

A-List Customer
The last scene of The Searchers, in which John Wayne holds his left arm with his right arm crossed over his front, showed a mannerism that Harry Carey had adopted in the silent westerns. Wayne did that as as homage to his mentor who had passed away. I guess it was a very moving moment for Olive Carey who immediately recognized what Wayne was doing.

You've made me curious, so i did a search.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woahas_W35A

jwalls

Vendor
I've always figured that Pawn Stars was only semi-reality, like any "reality" show. I watch it frequently, and enjoy some of the odd items. One thing I have noticed is that in general, they overpay for what would be very common, easy to find vintage musical instruments. Every time someone brings in an old mandolin or guitar, I have to yell at the screen "No! I can tell you where to find one in better shape for half that price!" Seems to be one area where their "experts" regularly fall short in saving them money. Frank
Semi-reality is about right. These guys are the only pawn shop in Las Vegas with a door man!!

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Semi-reality is about right. These guys are the only pawn shop in Las Vegas with a door man!!

You read my mind. It would make me nervous to have that guy watching me while I was browsing. I realise that they deal in a lot of cash but I don't see one in other pawnshops.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You've made me curious, so i did a search.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woahas_W35A

That's the one.

Famous scene.

That is Olive Carey in the blue dress who embraces Natlie Wood before they enter the house.

Harry Carey Jr., her son, was the one who recalled how touched she was when she saw John Wayne adopt that stance that her late husband had used so many times in his own films.

Sam

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
That's the one.

Famous scene.

That is Olive Carey in the blue dress who embraces Natlie Wood before they enter the house.

Harry Carey Jr., her son, was the one who recalled how touched she was when she saw John Wayne adopt that stance that her late husband had used so many times in his own films.

Sam

The Duke was known for being a down-to-earth approachable guy and this scene just shows the class he had. That gesture has probably gotten by 99.99% of people who have no idea what it means but he did it because he knew what it would mean to the man's family. Silent and strong class. Wow.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
That's true, but they were like his family too.
Harry Carey Sr. had been a tremendous influence on Wayne and Olive was a great, great lady of the old school, so I am sure that the gesture was from the heart and, yes, it was only recognized by those present.
I guess there weren't many dry eyes among those who knew Harry and Olive, when the filming stopped after that scene.

I was blessed to meet Pat Wayne, the Duke's son and I had a close friend who was an an associate of Duke's and of his wife, Pilar, and he was a wonderful guy, from what all said.

He certainly left us an amazing legacy.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland